Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 107/2008: Thursday 26 June 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section A – Today’s Business

Meeting of the Parliament

9.00 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions—

S3M-2272 Bruce Crawford on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees that Rule 12.3.3A of Standing Orders be suspended for the purpose of allowing the Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee to meet in the afternoon of Thursday 26 June 2008.

followed by Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme Committee Debate: 1st Report 2008, Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme—

S3M-2068 Alasdair Morgan: Proposal for a Committee Bill—That the Parliament agrees to the proposal for a Committee Bill under Rule 9.15 contained in the Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme Committee’s 1st Report, 2008 Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme (SP Paper 103).

followed by Rural Affairs and Environment Committee Debate: 2nd Report 2008, Flooding and Flood Management—

S3M-2208 Roseanna Cunningham on behalf of the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee: Report on Flooding and Flood Management—That the Parliament notes the conclusions and recommendations contained in the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee’s 2nd Report, 2008 (Session 3): Flooding and Flood Management (SP Paper 96).

11.40 am General Question Time—

1. Pauline McNeill: To ask the Scottish Executive when ministers last met the Crown Office and what issues were discussed. (S3O-3935)

2. Rhoda Grant: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will ensure that no BT public telephone boxes are removed from areas of the Highlands and Islands where mobile reception is poor or non-existent, particularly when the removal may impact on public safety in the event of a road collision, mountain or maritime incident. (S3O-3921)

3. Johann Lamont: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland will be reconvened and what support will be put in place for it. (S3O-3927)

4. Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive what recent discussions it has had with HM Inspectorate of Education. (S3O-3961)

5. Mary Mulligan: To ask the Scottish Executive how many local authorities are currently paying kinship care payments to grandparents. (S3O-3937)

6. Duncan McNeil: To ask the Scottish Executive when it expects to implement the local income tax. (S3O-3934)

7. Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive when its study into North Sea oil will report. (S3O-3970)

8. Rhona Brankin: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it will take to encourage greater participation in the arts. (S3O-3910)

9. Tom McCabe: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress it is making with regard to improving the Raith interchange. (S3O-3930)

10. Bob Doris: To ask the Scottish Executive when it last had discussions with Glasgow City Council. (S3O-3957)

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time—

1. Ms Wendy Alexander: To ask the First Minister what engagements he has planned for the rest of the day. (S3F-925)

2. Annabel Goldie: To ask the First Minister when he will next meet the Secretary of State for Scotland. (S3F-926)

3. Nicol Stephen: To ask the First Minister what issues will be discussed at the next meeting of the Cabinet. (S3F-927)

4. Michael Matheson: To ask the First Minister whether he will report on matters discussed at this week’s meeting of the Joint Ministerial Committee. (S3F-947)

5. Bill Butler: To ask the First Minister what discussions the Scottish Government has had with local authorities, police forces and march organisers in respect of ensuring public safety during the summer marching season. (S3F-946)

6. Robert Brown: To ask the First Minister what progress the Scottish Government is making towards meeting the target to end unintentional homelessness by 2012. (S3F-942)

followed by Members’ Business:

Debate on the subject of—

S3M-2014 John Park: Rosyth to Zeebrugge Ferry Service—That the Parliament is deeply disappointed to learn of Superfast Ferries’ decision to end sailings from Rosyth to Zeebrugge from September 2008; recognises that the ferry link to Europe is vital to the Fife and Scottish economies; notes that the service has been a commercial success regularly operating at full capacity; is disappointed that Superfast does not plan to continue with sailings until an alternative operator is found, and hopes that an alternative operator can be found for this crucial ferry route.

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Health and Wellbeing

1. Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive what assessment it has made of the safety of ambulance journey distances. (S3O-3893)

2. Richard Baker: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking with local health officials to ensure that the correct measures are taken in response to the findings of the Social Work Inspection Agency report on Aberdeen City Council, with particular reference to the provision of substance misuse services. (S3O-3907)

3. Not Lodged

4. Mike Pringle: To ask the Scottish Executive what assessment has been made of the demographic and other factors that will affect the future capacity needs of the planned new Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Little France, Edinburgh. (S3O-3898)

5. Iain Gray: To ask the Scottish Executive what advice it has received regarding the suitability of heavier types of portable oxygen cylinders. (S3O-3922)

6. John Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what financial support will be received by Healthy Working Lives in 2008-09, with particular reference to the operation of Salus Occupational Health & Safety. (S3O-3976)

7. Marlyn Glen: To ask the Scottish Executive what estimate it has made of the cost of screening all patients for MRSA on admission to hospital. (S3O-3919)

8. Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made on reviewing the eligibility criteria for infertility treatment. (S3O-3890)

9. Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps it is taking to ensure that Glasgow Housing Association transfers its housing stock to community-based and locally-accountable housing bodies. (S3O-3891)

10. Joe FitzPatrick: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps have been taken to raise awareness of plagiocephaly. (S3O-3958)

11. John Farquhar Munro: To ask the Scottish Executive whether anyone has been charged for their NHS treatment because they have decided to pay for medication privately. (S3O-3896)

12. Margaret Curran: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing last met the chairs of NHS boards. (S3O-3914)

13. Helen Eadie: To ask the Scottish Executive what discussions it has had with professional agencies about housing strategy. (S3O-3915)

14. Iain Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps it is taking in partnership with local authorities to improve the health of children and young people. (S3O-3902)

15. Ken Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive how it intends to reform health visitor services in the greater Glasgow area. (S3O-3932)

16. Mr Frank McAveety: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made in reviewing the central heating programme since May 2008. (S3O-3929)

17. Not Lodged

18. Liam McArthur: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps it is taking in partnership with local authorities to address mental health problems. (S3O-3894)

19. Christina McKelvie: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of support the NHS currently provides for the Scottish Motor Neurone Disease Association. (S3O-3968)

20. Withdrawn

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions—

S3M-2265 Bruce Crawford on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Committee Membership—That the Parliament agrees that—

Kenneth Gibson be appointed to replace Rob Gibson as a member of the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee;

Rob Gibson be appointed to replace Brian Adam as a member of the Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee;

Jamie Hepburn be appointed to replace Alasdair Morgan as a member of the European and External Relations Committee;

Angela Constance be appointed to replace John Wilson as a member of the Justice Committee;

John Wilson be appointed to replace Kenneth Gibson as a member of the Local Government and Communities Committee;

John Wilson be appointed to replace Angela Constance as a member of the Public Petitions Committee;

Alasdair Morgan be appointed to replace Jamie Hepburn as a member of the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee.

S3M-2266 Bruce Crawford on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Substitution on Committees—That the Parliament agrees that—

Bill Kidd be appointed to replace Shirley-Anne Somerville as the Scottish National Party substitute on the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee;

Willie Coffey be appointed to replace Jamie Hepburn as the Scottish National Party substitute on the Equal Opportunities Committee;

Brian Adam be appointed to replace Tricia Marwick as the Scottish National Party substitute on the Local Government and Communities Committee;

Bob Doris be appointed to replace John Wilson as the Scottish National Party substitute on the Public Petitions Committee;

Jamie Hepburn be appointed to replace Bill Kidd as the Scottish National Party substitute on the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee.

2.55 pm Decision Time

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 1.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Complaint (in private): The Committee will continue consideration of written representations in relation to a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

2. Complaint: The Committee will announce its decision having reflected upon written representations.

3. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take, in private at future meetings, its draft report on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J