Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 104/2008: Monday 23 June 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Justice Committee
24 June 2008
17th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Inquiry into community policing: The Committee will take evidence from—

Sir Ronnie Flanagan, Chief Inspector of Constabulary, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary;

and then from—

Chief Constable Stephen House, and Chief Superintendent Anne McGuire, Head of Community Policing Implementation, Strathclyde Police;

and then from—

Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice;

Alastair Merrill, Deputy Director, Police Powers, Performance and Resources, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Licensing (Transitional Provisions) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/194).

3. Inquiry into community policing (in private): The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence sessions.

4. Work programme (in private): The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee
24 June 2008
13th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 6 and 7 in private.

2. EU Budget Review: The Committee will take evidence by video conference from—

Gary Titley, MEP, North West of England.

3. Inquiry into the transposition of EU directives: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Government to its report.

4. Transposition Report from the Scottish Government: The Committee will consider an update from the Scottish Government.

5. Brussels Bulletin: The Committee will consider the Brussels Bulletin.

6. Inquiry into the Services Directive: The Committee will consider a summary of evidence.

7. Work Programme: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

Proposed future business

The Committee will next meet on 9 September.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
24 June 2008
18th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Review of the Budget Process: The Committee will take evidence from—

John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth, and John Williams, Head of Finance Co-ordination, Scottish Government.

2. Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Financial Memorandum of the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill.

3. Work programme (in private): The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business

The Committee does not intend to meet again until September.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
24 June 2008
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in the Burgh Hall, 17 Castle Street, Dumbarton

1. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will give consideration to the following new petitions—

PE1140 A82 Upgrade

Alasdair Ferguson will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Stewart Maclean.

PE1148 Local community libraries

Sam Coulter will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Prince Obiki and Janet Carson from Erskine Community Council.

PE1159 Appropriate healthcare for war veterans

Sandra Kozak will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition.

PE1167 Befriending services

Christine McNally will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Thomas Dallas.

PE1166 Amendment to the Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Act 2008

PE1168 Undemocratic national parks

PE1169 Display of sexually graphic magazines and newspapers

PE1170 Funding of Scotland’s colleges

2. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will give further consideration to the following current petitions—

PE812 High voltage transmission lines

PE932 Supporting people funding

PE960 Cranial abnormalities

PE988 Home loss payment

PE1048 NPPG19 and pre-school children

PE1080 Re-introduction of suburban railway

PE1084 Merging neurology units

PE1089 Cancer causing toxins

PE1092 Seven day care provision

3. Notification of new petitions: The Committee will consider a paper indicating new petitions lodged since the last Committee meeting.

4. Public Petitions Process Inquiry: The Committee will consider its approach to the inquiry.

Proposed future business

At it’s next meeting on 9 September, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on Billy Liddell; abolition of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman; A92 upgrade; a moratorium on all wind farm developments; acquired brain injury; further and higher education provision for students with complex needs; loss of sports facilities; investigations into the genetic effects of radiation; Rosyth Bypass and review of criteria for listing historic buildings. It is also expected that the Committee will further consider current petitions on siting of oil depots; scheduled and listed buildings; Scottish Public Service Ombudsman appeal tribunal; environmental impact of wind farm developments; the lion of Scotland statue; animal slaughter without pre-stunning; impact of fuel price increases on the road haulage industry; funding of family mediation services; diabetes self management plan; ban on snares; access to independent advocates; posthumous pardons under Witchcraft legislation; and funeral costs and debt issues.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
24 June 2008
15th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Inquiry into rail services: The Committee will consider its approach to its inquiry into rail services.

2. Inquiry into ferry services in Scotland (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland.

3. Budget process 2009-2010 - appointment of adviser (in private): The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of budget adviser.

Proposed future business

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
24 June 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Cross-Party Groups: The Committee will consider applications for recognition from two proposed Cross-Party Groups.

2. Audit Committee - title and remit (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

3. Complaint (in private): The Committee will continue its initial consideration of a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

Proposed future business

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
24 June 2008
22nd Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government responses in relation to the following––

the National Health Service Pension Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/224);

the National Health Service Superannuation Scheme (Additional Voluntary Contributions, Injury Benefits and Compensation for Premature Retirement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/225);

the National Health Service Superannuation Scheme (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/226);

the Teachers’ Superannuation (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/227);

the Local Government Pension Scheme (Administration) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/228);

the Local Government Pension Scheme (Transitional Provisions) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/229);

the Local Government Pension Scheme (Benefits, Membership and Contributions) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/230);

the Rural Development Contracts (Rural Priorities) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/233);

the Bluetongue (Scotland) Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/234);

the Court of Session etc. Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/236);

the Sheriff Court Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/239); and

the Criminal Legal Assistance (Fees and Information etc.) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/240).

2. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Act 2007 (Transitional, Savings and Consequential Provisions) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft); and

the Mental Health (Absconding patients from other jurisdictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft).

3. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland Revocation Regulations 2008 Revocation Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/247);

the Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland Amendment Order 2008 Revocation Order 2008 (SSI 2008/248); and

the Electricity Works (Environmental Impact Assessment) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/246).

4. Provision of Transposition Notes: The Committee will consider a response to the European and External Relations Committee on its inquiry into the transposition of EU directives.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 2 September, the Committee will consider Scottish Statutory Instruments and other documents subject to parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
25 June 2008
15th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Discussion of taking items in private: The Committee will decide whether to take items 7 and 8 in private.

2. National Planning Framework 2: The Committee will consider its approach to National Planning Framework 2.

3. Progress on research: The Committee will consider research on the impact of the credit crunch on the Scottish economy.

4. Business in the Parliament Conference 2008: The Committee will discuss feedback from the 2008 conference and plans for the 2009 event.

5. Scottish Enterprise: The Committee will discuss further supplementary written evidence received from Scottish Enterprise.

6. Scottish Council of Economic Advisers: The Committee will discuss whether it wishes to invite representatives of the Scottish Council of Economic Advisers to give evidence in the autumn.

7. Budget process 2009-10 - appointment of adviser: The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of adviser in connection with its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2009-10.

8. Energy Technologies Institute inquiry: The Committee will discuss a draft report.

9. Tourism inquiry - Growing pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015? (in private): The Committee will discuss a draft report.

Proposed future business

The Committee will next meet on 10 September.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
25 June 2008
18th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 4

1. Scotland’s Commissioner for Children and Young People: The Committee will take evidence on the 2006-07 and 2007-08 Annual Reports from—

Kathleen Marshall, Scotland’s Commissioner for Children and Young People.

Not before 10.30 am:

2. Petition PE1046: The Committee will take evidence on the petition from—

Fiona Hyslop MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning, and Michael Kellet, Deputy Director, Head of Teachers Division, Scottish Government.

3. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Individual Learning Account (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/204);

the Education (Student Loans) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/205);

the Education (Means Testing) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/206);

the Graduate Endowment (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/235).

Proposed future business

The Committee will next meet on Wednesday 3 September.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
25 June 2008
11th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 9 in private.

2. Major capital projects: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report entitled "How Government works: review of major capital projects in Scotland". (AGS/2008/6)

3. Audit Scotland annual report: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on the "Audit Scotland annual report for 2007-08".

4. Audit Scotland forward work programme: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on Audit Scotland’s consultation on its forward work programme.

5. Performance overview of sport in Scotland: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "A performance overview of sport in Scotland". (AGS/2008/4).

6. Police call management: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Police call management: an initial review". (AGS/2007/8).

7. Overview of Scotland’s health and the performance of the NHS: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Overview of Scotland’s health and NHS performance in 2006/07". (AGS/2007/10).

8. Progress reports: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk on progress reports from the Scottish Government.

9. Consideration of approach: The Committee will consider its approach to the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "How Government Works: Review of major capital projects in Scotland." (AGS/2008/6).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting in September it is expected that the Committee will receive further briefings from the Auditor General for Scotland.

Local Government and Communities Committee
25 June 2008
20th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Decisions on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 5 and 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 1) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/195);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 2) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/196);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 3) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/197);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 4) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/198);

and take evidence from—

Stewart Stevenson MSP, Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change, and Stephen Hall, Senior Planner, Planning Modernisation and Co-ordinating Division, Scottish Government.

3. Planning for housing: The Committee will take evidence from—

Stewart Stevenson MSP, Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change, Stephen Garland, Planning Modernisation and Co-ordination, Jackie Wilkins, Head of Strategic Planning, Housing Markets and Supply, and Aiden Grisewood, Head of Division, Communities Analytical Services, Scottish Government.

4. Local Income Tax: The Committee will take evidence from—

Angela Scott, Head of CIPFA in Scotland, and Don Peebles, Policy and Technical Manager, CIPFA.

5. Single Outcome Agreements: The Committee will consider an approach paper on the scrutiny of Single Outcome Agreements.

6. Budget adviser: The Committee will appoint a budget adviser for its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s 2009-10 draft budget.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 3 September, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Disabled Persons’ Parking Places (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
25 June 2008
13th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the draft Licensing of Animal Dealers (Young Cats and Dogs) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 from—

Richard Lochhead MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment, Ian Strachan, Head of Animal Welfare branch and Kirsten Simonnet-Lefevre, Solicitor, Rural Affairs Division, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: Richard Lochhead MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment) to move S3M-2067—

That the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee recommends that the Licensing of Animal Dealers (Young Cats and Dogs) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the National Scenic Areas (Scotland) 2008 (SSI 2008/202);

the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/203);

the Register of Sites of Special Scientific Interest (Scotland) 2008 (SSI 2008/221);

the Registration of Fish Farming and Shellfish Farming Businesses Amendment (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/222).

4. Rural Housing Inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Veronica Burbridge, Director, Royal Town Planning Institute in Scotland

and then from

Jim MacKinnon, Chief Planner and Louise Feenie, Housing and Regeneration Division, Scottish Government.

5. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

6. Rural housing inquiry (in private): The Committee will review the evidence heard earlier in the meeting.

Proposed future business

The Committee will next meet on 2 September at the Corn Exchange, Melrose.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
25 June 2008
19th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

1. Pathways into Sport: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jim Hamilton, Edinburgh Rugby;

Donna Kennedy, Coach, Scottish Women’s Rugby Union Academy;

Peter Wright, Director of Rugby, Glasgow hawks;

And then from—

Gordon McKie, Chief Executive, Scottish Rugby;

Kenny Murray, Senior Sports Development Officer, Glasgow City Council;

Colin Thomson, Head of Community Rugby, Scottish Rugby;

Gregor Townsend.

2. Pathways into Sport: The Committee will decide whether to consider a draft interim report on pathways into sport in private at future meetings.

Proposed future business

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice Committee
25 June 2008
18th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Court of Session etc. Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/236); the High Court of Justiciary Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/237); the Adults with Incapacity (Public Guardian’s Fees) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/238); and the Sheriff Court Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/239) from—

Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice;

Eleanor Emberson, Chief Executive, Gordon Wales, Director of Operational Support, and Nicola Bennett, Director of Finance, Scottish Court Service.

2. Subordinate legislation: Bill Aitken to move S3M-2212—

That the Justice Committee recommends nothing further be done under the Court of Session etc. Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/236).

3. Subordinate legislation: Bill Aitken to move S3M-2213—

That the Justice Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the High Court of Justiciary Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/237).

4. Subordinate legislation: Bill Aitken to move S3M-2214—

That the Justice Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Adults with Incapacity (Public Guardian’s Fees) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/238).

5. Subordinate legislation: Bill Aitken to move S3M-2215—

That the Justice Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Sheriff Court Fees Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/239).

Proposed future business

The Committee will next meet on 2 September.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J