Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 94/2008: Monday 9 June 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

European and External Relations Committee
10 June 2008
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Scotland Week: Alex Neil MSP will report back on Scotland Week.

3. Scotland Week: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lorna Jack, Director, Americas, Scottish Development International;

Denise Hill, Head of International Marketing, and Ewan Colville, International Marketing Manager North America, VisitScotland;

Mary McCluskey, Artistic Director (Chief Executive), Scottish Youth Theatre.

4. Brussels Bulletin: The Committee will consider the Brussels Bulletin.

5. Inquiry into International Development: The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 June, the Committee will take oral evidence by video conference on the EU Budget Review.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice Committee
10 June 2008
15th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the draft Crime (International Co-operation) Act 2003 (Designation of Participating Countries) (Scotland) Order 2008 from—

Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice;

George Burgess, Head of Division, Criminal Law and Licensing Division, and David Johnston, Solicitor, Legal Directorate, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Justice) to move S3M-1942—That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Crime (International Co-operation) Act 2003 (Designation of Participating Countries) (Scotland) Order 2008 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the draft Human Tissue (Scotland) Act 2006 (Consequential Amendment) Order 2008 from—

Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice;

Gerard Bonnar, Head of Summary Justice Reform Branch, Criminal Procedure Division, Dianne Drysdale, Policy Officer, Criminal Procedure Division, and Stephen Crilly, Solicitor, Criminal Justice, Police and Fire Division, Scottish Government.

4. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Justice) to move S3M-1941—That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Human Tissue (Scotland) Act 2006 (Consequential Amendment) Order 2008 be approved.

5. Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on its inquiry into community policing.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its community policing inquiry at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
10 June 2008
16th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 6 in private.

2. Review of the Budget Process: The Committee will take evidence, in a round-table discussion, from—

Dr Peter Collings, former Chair of the Financial Issues Advisory Group;

Professor David Heald, former member of the Financial Issues Advisory Group;

Alf Young, former member of the Financial Issues Advisory Group;

Des McNulty MSP, former Convener of the Finance Committee;

Alasdair Morgan MSP, former Deputy Convener of the Finance Committee;

Eddie Frizzell, Budget Adviser to the Justice Committee, Budget Process 2008-09;

Jan Polley, Budget Adviser to the Rural Affairs and Environment Committee, Budget Process 2008-09;

Prof David Bell, Budget Adviser to the Finance Committee.

3. Review of the Budget Process - witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsiblity for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in the inquiry.

4. Local Authority Single Status Agreement: The Committee will consider a paper on the Local Authority Single Status Agreement.

5. Disabled Persons’ Parking Places (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Financial Memorandum of the Disabled Persons’ Parking Places (Scotland) Bill.

6. Inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects: The Committee will consider how to proceed with the inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its subsequent meetings on 17 and 24 June, it is expected that the Committee will take further evidence on its Review of the Budget Process.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

10 June 2008
11th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will give consideration to the following new petitions—

PE1150 Support for community prisons

David Wemyss will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Councillor Gordon Lesley.

PE1158 Cuts in public and voluntary sector services

Kevin Hutchens will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Andrew Laing from The Community Union, Glencraft and Kevin McCahery from Choices and Future Choices.

PE1162 National Concessionary Travel Scheme

Sally Ann Elfverson will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Ian Hood and Collen Menabny from the Learning Disability Alliance Scotland.

PE1160 Referendum on Fiscal Autonomy

PE1161 Audio recording of court proceedings

PE1163 Audit of the office of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

PE1164 Use of live and hybrid embryos

PE1165 Rights of biological fathers

2. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE1020 Deceleration lane on the A90

PE1045 Hairdressing traineeships

PE1049 Maintenance on un-adopted open spaces

PE1079 Education maintenance allowance

PE1083 Local museums

PE1088 Pay and conditions of FE lecturers

PE1090 National proof of age card for 12-26 year olds

3. Notification of new petitions: The Committee will consider a paper indicating new petitions lodged since the last Committee meeting.

4. Inquiry into the availability on the NHS of cancer treatment drugs (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on A82 upgrade; local community libraries; befriending services; undemocratic national parks; amendment of the Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Act 2008; display of sexually graphic magazines and newspapers; appropriate healthcare for war veterans and Coatbridge College. The Committee is also expected to further consider current petitions on high voltage transmission lines; supporting people funding; cranial abnormalities; home loss payment; NPPG19 and pre-school children; re-introduction of suburban railway; merging neurology units; cancer causing toxins and seven day care provision.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
10 June 2008
13th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/186) and the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland Revocation Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/187) from —

Stewart Stevenson MSP, Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change; and

Bill Brash, Senior Policy Officer, Diane McLafferty, Head of Transport Strategy, Transport Directorate and Jacqueline Pantony, Principal Legal Officer, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: Cathy Peattie to move S3M-2022—That the Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/186).

3. Subordinate legislation: Cathy Peattie to move S3M-2023—That the Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland Revocation Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/187).

4. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take future consideration of the appointment of an adviser in relation to the budget process 2009-2010 in private.

Proposed future business

At a future meeting, the Committee will consider its approach to its forthcoming rail inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
10 June 2008
20th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s response in relation to the following—

the Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/201).

2. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Licensing of Animal Dealers (Young Cats and Dogs) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft).

3. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Individual Learning Account (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/204);

the Education (Student Loans) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/205);

the Education (Means Testing) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/206);

the Education (Assisted Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/213);

the St Mary’s Music School (Aided Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/214);

the Feeding Stuffs (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/215);

the Spreadable Fats, Milk and Milk Products (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/216);

the Register of Sites of Special Scientific Interest (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/221);

the Registration of Fish Farming and Shellfish Farming Businesses Amendment (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/222); and

the Graduate Endowment (Scotland) Regulations (SSI 2008/235).

4. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Diseases of Animals (Approved Disinfectants) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/219); and

Act of Sederunt (Sheriff Court Rules) (Miscellaneous Amendments) 2008 (SSI 2008/223).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 June, the Committee will consider Scottish Statutory Instruments and other documents subject to parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
11 June 2008
14th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Decision on taking items in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Tourism inquiry - Growing pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015? (in private): The Committee will discuss a draft of its tourism report.

3. Tourism inquiry - Growing pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015? (in private): The Committee will discuss whether to make a bid to debate the report in the Chamber.

4. Energy Technologies Institute: The Committee will discuss further evidence.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 June, the Committee will discuss progress of research on Trade, the National Planning Framework 2 and the Credit Crunch. The Committee will also discuss its Tourism inquiry report.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
11 June 2008
16th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Ofcom’s Second Public Service Broadcasting Review: The Committee will take evidence on the first phase from—

Vicki Nash, Director, Ofcom Scotland; Stewart Purvis, Partner, Content and Standards, Ofcom; Thomas Prag, Chair, Ofcom Advisory Committee for Scotland and Joyce Taylor, Member for Scotland, Ofcom Content Board.

2. Scottish Broadcasting Commission: The Committee will take evidence on the three interim reports published by the Commission from—

Blair Jenkins, Chair, Scottish Broadcasting Commission.

3. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider its work programme and the appointment of an adviser for the budget process 2009-10 (Stage 2) in private at future meetings.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 18 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider two affirmative Scottish Statutory Instruments and take further evidence on petition PE1046 in relation to class sizes.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
11 June 2008
17th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Telehealth: The Committee will take evidence from:

Professor Richard Wootton, Director, Scottish Centre for Telehealth.

Not before 11.00 am —

2. Mental health services for deaf and deafblind people: The Committee will take evidence from—

Shona Robison MSP, Minister for Public Health.

3. Petition PE808: The Committee will consider whether to take any further action on PE808 by Lillian Lawson, on behalf of the Scottish Council on Deafness, in light of the evidence taken on mental health services for deaf and deafblind people.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 18 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider the Pathways into sport inquiry and its work programme.

The Committee expects to take further evidence on its Pathways into sport inquiry at its meeting on 25 June.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee

11 June 2008
18th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Implementation of digital television switchover: The Committee will take evidence from—

Linda Fabiani, Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture;

Greig Chalmers, Team Leader, and Anne Dagg, Policy Officer, Creative Scotland and Broadcasting Team, Scottish Government.

2. Homelessness Monitoring Group: The Committee will take evidence from—

Mike Foulis, Director of Housing and Regeneration, Scottish Government;

Councillor Harry McGuigan, Spokesman for community wellbeing and safety, COSLA;

Archie Stoddart, Director, Shelter Scotland;

Andy Young, Good Practice Adviser, Scottish Federation of Housing Associations.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 1) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/195);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 2) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/196);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 3) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/197);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 4) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/198).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 18 June, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on single outcome agreements and consider approach papers on the Disabled Persons Parking (Scotland) Bill and on housing support services.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
11 June 2008
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Rural housing inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jacqui Watt, Chief Executive and Alan Stokes, Good Practice Adviser, Scottish Federation of Housing Associations;

Marion Notman, Chair, Rural and Islands Housing Association Forum;

Norman Beaton, Chairman and Alastair MacGregor, Chief Executive, Argyll Community Housing Association

and consider whether to appoint an adviser.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Common Agricultural Policy (Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes and Cross-Compliance) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/184).

3. Scottish Government budget 2009-10 - appointment of adviser: The Committee will consider a draft person specification for the post of budget adviser, and will decide whether its prioritisation of candidates at a future meeting should be taken in private.

4. Rural housing inquiry (in private): The Committee will review the evidence heard earlier in the meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 June, the Committee will take oral evidence on the rural housing inquiry and consider its future work programme.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the rural housing inquiry at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J