Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 92/2008: Thursday 5 June 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section A – Today’s Business

Meeting of the Parliament

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Scottish Government Debate: Remote and Rural Health Care—

S3M-2056 Nicola Sturgeon: Remote and Rural Health Care—That the Parliament commends the work of the Remote and Rural Steering Group and recognises that its report, Delivering for Remote and Rural Healthcare, forms the basis of a safe and sustainable service for remote and rural areas that will increase community resilience and guarantee the future of Scotland’s rural general hospitals; notes the extension of the Emergency Medical Retrieval Service pilot, providing consultant-led resuscitation and transfer of patients with life-threatening injuries or illness in remote and rural hospitals in the west of Scotland, which commenced on 2 June 2008, and further notes the work of the Remote and Rural Healthcare Education Alliance in providing a co-ordinated approach to the development of remote and rural health education programmes across Scotland to ensure that Scotland’s healthcare professionals can provide, and their patients can benefit from, the best possible healthcare, as locally as possible.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendments

S3M-2056.2 Margaret Curran: Remote and Rural Health Care—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2056) in the name of Nicola Sturgeon, insert at end "and recognises the contribution made to remote and rural training by union learning representatives, however, expresses concern regarding the future funding under the NHS Scotland Resource Allocation Committee of rural NHS boards that are facing particular pressures regarding service delivery, including out-of-hours GP services and the provision of ambulance services."

S3M-2056.1 Mary Scanlon: Remote and Rural Health Care—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2056) in the name of Nicola Sturgeon, insert at end " further notes the concerns raised regarding the provision of ambulance services, and asks the Scottish Government to ensure that those living in rural communities are not disadvantaged."

S3M-2056.3 Ross Finnie: Remote and Rural Health Care—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2056) in the name of Nicola Sturgeon, insert at end "and in line with recommendation 10.12 of the NHS Scotland Resource Allocation Committee’s (NRAC) report calls on the Scottish Government to establish without delay a standing committee to lead work on the future development of the NHS board funding formula and to come forward with details on the precise membership, format and remit of the committee, and further calls on the Scottish Government to review the impact of the NRAC report on NHS boards’ ability to maintain and develop remote and rural services."

11.40 am General Question Time—

1. Des McNulty: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing considers that the proposal by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde for continuing care beds to be withdrawn from St Margaret of Scotland Hospice, Clydebank, with effect from April 2009, is in the best interests of patients or their relatives. (S3O-3645)

2. Ross Finnie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it considers that the private sector has any role to play in the delivery of health services. (S3O-3659)

3. Ken Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking to secure employment for probationary teachers coming to the end of their induction year. (S3O-3641)

4. Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive what assessment has been made of the impact that increasing energy charges are having on the NHS. (S3O-3603)

5. Christina McKelvie: To ask the Scottish Executive when the audit of the Scots language will be complete. (S3O-3605)

6. Elaine Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive what action is being taken to assist people who suffer from Duchenne muscular dystrophy. (S3O-3653)

7. Malcolm Chisholm: To ask the Scottish Executive what discussions it has had with Scottish Water about the removal of the stench from the Seafield waste water treatment plant. (S3O-3621)

8. Dave Thompson: To ask the Scottish Executive what its position is on the safety of level crossings. (S3O-3610)

9. Withdrawn

10. Tricia Marwick: To ask the Scottish Executive when it next intends to meet SEStran and Fife Council to discuss the possibility of reopening the Leven to Thornton railway line to passenger and freight trains. (S3O-3602)

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time—

1. Ms Wendy Alexander: To ask the First Minister what engagements he has planned for the rest of the day. (S3F-843)

2. Annabel Goldie: To ask the First Minister when he will next meet the Prime Minister. (S3F-844)

3. Nicol Stephen: To ask the First Minister what issues will be discussed at the next meeting of the Cabinet. (S3F-845)

4. Ian McKee: To ask the First Minister whether the Scottish Government plans to take additional measures in light of the increase in sexually transmitted diseases and their possible impact on fertility. (S3F-860)

5. Sarah Boyack: To ask the First Minister, on World Environment Day, whether the Scottish Government remains committed to ensuring that there is a renewable capacity in each public building. (S3F-853)

6. Alex Johnstone: To ask the First Minister what discussions have taken place at ministerial or official level regarding the construction of high-speed rail links between Scotland and England. (S3F-862)

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Justice and Law Officers

1. Not Lodged

2. Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people have been charged and how many have been prosecuted for using illegal snaring practices on protected species, as designated in the EU habitats directive, in the last three years. (S3O-3650)

3. Patrick Harvie: To ask the Scottish Executive how it measures the effectiveness of publicly-funded CCTV systems. (S3O-3571)

4. Iain Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive what proportion of breaches of enforcement or stop notices notified to Procurators Fiscal by planning authorities led to a prosecution in the most recent period for which figures are available. (S3O-3669)

5. Sarah Boyack: To ask the Scottish Executive what resources it will invest in the enforcement of environmental crime legislation. (S3O-3618)

6. Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it expects to have 17,265 police officers in place by March 2011, in line with the commitment made in the SNP’s 2007 manifesto. (S3O-3637)

7. Joe FitzPatrick: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps the Cabinet Secretary for Justice is taking to tackle drug misuse in Dundee. (S3O-3596)

8. Jamie Stone: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will ensure that laws to prevent retailers selling alcohol to minors are fully enforced. (S3O-3671)

9. Jamie McGrigor: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will ensure that police forces implement Galas and Events Affecting Public Roads - Guidance to Organisers so that local shows, Highland Games and other events are not burdened with excessive costs. (S3O-3578)

10. John Park: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will use seized proceeds of crime to fund sporting and cultural projects in the areas of Mid Scotland and Fife hardest-hit by crime. (S3O-3649)

Rural Affairs and the Environment

1. Marlyn Glen: To ask the Scottish Executive how waste recycling targets will be monitored under single outcome agreements. (S3O-3628)

2. Cathy Peattie: To ask the Scottish Executive what communication has taken place between it and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency regarding industrial action at the agency. (S3O-3651)

3. Brian Adam: To ask the Scottish Executive what further support it can give to local authorities to improve recycling rates. (S3O-3587)

4. Michael McMahon: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to encourage recycling in the private sector. (S3O-3642)

5. Charlie Gordon: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will support the Metropolitan Glasgow Strategic Drainage Partnership. (S3O-3629)

6. Elaine Murray: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking to minimise the risk of an outbreak of the bluetongue virus in Scotland. (S3O-3647)

7. Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Minister for Environment will report on the effectiveness of the byelaws applicable to Loch Lomond. (S3O-3615)

8. George Foulkes: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made since Scottish Government support for Lothian and Borders Area Waste Team was withdrawn; how local authorities in the Lothians will meet EU targets in respect of diversion from landfill, and whether the Scottish Government will accept full liability for any fines imposed should they not meet such targets. (S3O-3626)

9. Karen Gillon: To ask the Scottish Executive how it believes it can enhance rural development through the development of public transport. (S3O-3627)

10. Bill Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will provide an update with regard to country-of-origin labelling in the food service sector in Scotland. (S3O-3613)

2.55 pm Scottish Government Debate: Investment in Scottish Infrastructure—

S3M-2057 John Swinney: Investment in Scottish Infrastructure—That the Parliament notes the publication of Taking Forward the Scottish Futures Trust and the £14 billion of infrastructure investment set out in the Scottish Government’s Infrastructure Investment Plan; believes that it is important to ensure maximum value for the public purse from infrastructure investment and welcomes efforts to deliver better value, and further notes that 14 possible options for work to be carried out under the umbrella of the Scottish Futures Trust (SFT) were identified and will be the subject of further development before being brought back to the Parliament.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendments

S3M-2057.3 Andy Kerr: Investment in Scottish Infrastructure—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2057) in the name of John Swinney, insert at end "notes the comments of the Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth acknowledging that his priority is to get best value and the best deal for taxpayers whether that investment comes from private or public sources and welcomes the statement on page 7 of the strategic business case which provides for guidance, structuring and compliance for ongoing non-profit distribution (NPD)/PPP programmes, firmly placing PPP at the heart of the Scottish Government’s strategy, and believes that in the interests of Scotland and its people it is now time to end the confusion surrounding the SFT, admit that it is based on the same principles as those proven financial models which have delivered new schools and hospitals and that it is time to restart the building of schools, hospitals and the transport infrastructure."

S3M-2057.1 Derek Brownlee: Investment in Scottish Infrastructure—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2057) in the name of John Swinney, insert at end "believes that a broad range of public and private options should be available for capital investment by public bodies and that the public sector should seek appropriate provisions in the best interests of taxpayers; calls on ministers to report to the Parliament on progress after the summer recess and regularly thereafter until the final range of options and shape of the SFT has been confirmed; calls on the Scottish Government to finalise the details of the SFT as soon as possible and, as part of its work on the SFT, to review how refinancing provisions in non-profit distributing models might be amended to ensure that they achieve intended aims without discouraging investment, and calls on the Scottish Government to develop and publish a robust investment option-appraisal framework capable of producing comparable information on whole-life costs for future projects regardless of which method of procurement or operation is used."

S3M-2057.2 Liam McArthur: Investment in Scottish Infrastructure—As an amendment to motion (S3M-2057) in the name of John Swinney, insert at end "but notes that the Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth promised the Parliament that a decision on the method of financing for the new Forth crossing would be made in Autumn 2007; is concerned that eight months later no decision has been taken; further notes that the First Minister’s preferred method of issuing "patriotic bonds" has been dismissed as illegal and the non-profit distribution model is considered inappropriate for high risk projects, and therefore calls on the Scottish Government to make a statement to the Parliament setting out method of funding, management arrangements and timetable for procurement of the new Forth crossing before the summer recess."

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Debate on the subject of—

S3M-1960 Jackson Carlaw: Holocaust Education in Scotland—That the Parliament accepts the crucial importance of ensuring that the genocide of the Jewish and other peoples and minority groups inflicted during the Holocaust is never allowed to slip from public consciousness; welcomes the commitment of successive Scottish governments to developing a permanent National Holocaust Museum based in East Renfrewshire and looks forward to the fulfilment of that commitment; applauds the work of the Holocaust Educational Trust, among other organisations, for the role it plays in educating young people from every background about the Holocaust and the important lessons that can still be learned from it today, and considers that sufficient resources should be made available to allow schools across the west of Scotland and beyond to provide ongoing Holocaust education, with visits to the Auschwitz concentration camp being considered as part of that educational mix.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J