Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 89/2008: Monday 2 June 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Equal Opportunities Committee
3 June 2008
9th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider an item on the budget process 2009-10 (Stage 2) in private at a future meeting.

2. Visit to the National Assembly for Wales: The Committee will consider an approach paper.

3. Scots language (in private): The Committee will consider a scoping paper.

4. Disability inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on the evidence it has taken in relation to the report Removing Barriers and Creating Opportunities, published by the Equal Opportunities Committee in Session 2 of the Parliament.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider a paper on its scrutiny of the budget process 2009-10 (Stage 2).

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice Committee
3 June 2008
14th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 2

1. Inquiry into community policing: The Committee will take evidence from—

Councillor Paul Rooney, Convener, Strathclyde Joint Police Board and Chair of the Scottish Police Authorities Conveners Forum;

Councillor Martin Greig, Convener, Grampian Joint Police Board and Member of the Scottish Police Authorities Conveners Forum;

Councillor Iain Whyte, Convener, Lothian Joint Police Board and Member of the Scottish Police Authorities Conveners Forum;

David Higgins, Convener, Scottish Police Authorities Conveners Forum;

and then from—

Joe Grant, General Secretary, Scottish Police Federation;

and then from—

Chief Superintendent Val McHoull, President, and Chief Superintendent Matt Hamilton, Association of Scottish Police Superintendents;

and then from—

Chief Constable John Vine, Tayside Police, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland.

2. Budget process 2009-10: The Committee will consider whether to seek the appointment of an adviser.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 10 June, it is expected that the Committee will begin to consider the Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its community policing inquiry at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
3 June 2008
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Inquiry into ferry services in Scotland: The Committee will take evidence on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland from—

Stewart Stevenson MSP, Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take all future consideration of draft reports on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland in private.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to consider a draft report on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland at a future meeting. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
3 June 2008
8th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 5, 6 and 7 in private.

2. Guidance for MSPs on handling difficult correspondents or constituents: The Committee will consider a note by the Clerk.

3. Complaint (in private): The Committee will conclude consideration of a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

4. Complaint: The Committee will announce its decision at Stage 3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

5. Complaint: The Committee will consider its draft report.

6. Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner: The Committee will consider a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

7. Direction: The Committee will consider a request for a direction from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider responses on its draft revised Section 8 of the Code of Conduct, a draft report on its inquiry into the title and remit of the Audit Committee and evidence received on its inquiry into equalities in the work of committees. The Committee will also consider its approach to its inquiry into Section 6 of the Code of Conduct.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
3 June 2008
19th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Public Health etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in this Bill after Stage 2 and will take oral evidence from––

Molly Robertson, Bill Team Leader;

Joyce Whytock, Policy Leader;

Kirsty McGrath, Scottish Government Legal Directorate;

Stella Smith, Scottish Government Legal Directorate.

2. Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Government’s response to its Stage 1 report on the delegated powers provisions in this Bill.

3. Offences (Aggravation by Prejudice) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in this Bill at Stage 1.

4. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s responses in relation to the following—

the Crime (International Co-operation) Act 2003 (Designation of Participating Countries) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft); and

the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland Revocation Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/187).

5. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/201);

the Licensing (Transitional Provisions) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/194);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 1) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/195);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 2) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/196);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 3) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/197);

the Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation (No. 4) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/198);

the National Scenic Areas (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/202); and

the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/203).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 10 June, the Committee will consider Scottish Statutory Instruments and other documents subject to parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
4 June 2008
13th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Decision on taking items in private: The Committee will decide whether to take items 2, 3 and 4 in private and any further items relating to the draft report for the tourism inquiry and the Stage 1 report on the Scottish Register of Tartans Bill in private.

2. Tourism inquiry - Growing pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015?: The Committee will discuss an outline of its tourism report.

3. Scottish Register of Tartans Bill: The Committee will discuss a draft Stage 1 report.

4. Budget process 2009-10: The Committee will consider whether it wishes to seek to appoint an adviser to assist with its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2009-10.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 11 June, it is expected that the Committee will discuss its draft Tourism Inquiry report and its draft Energy Technologies Institute inquiry report. The Committee will decide whether to take these items in private. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
4 June 2008
15th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992 Modification Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft) from—

Adam Ingram MSP, Minister for Children and Early Years, Louise Sutherland, Team Leader, Higher Education and Governance, and Helena Janssen, Senior Principal Legal Officer, Solicitors Education, Land and Pensions Division, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: Adam Ingram MSP (Minister for Children and Early Years) to move S3M-1919—

That the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee recommends that the draft Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992 Modification Order 2008 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Protection of Children (Scotland) Act 2003 (Amendment of the Definition of Child Care Position) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft) from—

Adam Ingram MSP, Minister for Children and Early Years, Claire Monaghan, Deputy Director, Children, Young People and Social Care, Moira Oliphant, Team Leader, Disqualified from Working with Children List Team, and Laurence Sullivan, Senior Principal Legal Officer, Solicitors Education, Land and Pensions Division, Scottish Government.

4. Subordinate legislation: Adam Ingram MSP (Minister for Children and Early Years) to move S3M-1921—

That the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee recommends that the draft Protection of Children (Scotland) Act 2003 (Amendment of the Definition of Child Care Position) Order 2008 be approved.

5. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Nutritional Requirements for Food and Drink in Schools (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft) from—

Eleanor Coner, Information Officer, Scottish Parent Teacher Council;

Colin Sutherland, Public and Parliamentary Convener, Headteachers’ Association of Scotland;

Dr Cathy Higginson, Chair of the former Expert Working Group on Nutritional Standards for the Regulation of School Lunches, and Standards for the Regulation of Food and Drinks Outwith the School Lunch;

Len Braid, Automatic Vending Association.

6. Annual report: Committee will consider a draft annual report for the Parliamentary year from 9 May 2007 to 8 May 2008.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 11 June, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from Ofcom and the Scottish Broadcasting Commission.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
4 June 2008
16th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Mental health services for deaf and deafblind people: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lillian Lawson, Director, and Mandy Reid, Policy & Research Officer, Scottish Council on Deafness;

Willie MacFadyen, Vice Chair, British Society for Mental Health & Deafness;

Linda Sharkey, Manager, LINK Scotland;

and then from—

Dick Fitzpatrick, Project Manager - Mental Health Strategic Programme, NHS Lothian;

Delia Henry, Director, Royal National Institute for the Deaf Scotland;

Dr Deborah Innes, Royal College of Psychiatrists;

Andy McDermott, Assistant Director, National centre for Mental Health and Deafness.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Food Labelling (Declaration of Allergens) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/180).

3. European Elected Members Information, Liaison and Exchange: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture.

4. Budget process 2009-10 (Stage 2): The Committee will consider arrangements for its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s 2009-10 budget.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 11 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence from Telehealth and its work programme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
4 June 2008
17th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Implementation of digital TV switchover: The Committee will take evidence from—

Trisha McAuley, Head of Corporate Resources, Scottish Consumer Council;

and then from—

Simon Crine, Director of Corporate Affairs, John Askew, Regional Manager, Border, and Paul Hughes, National Manager, Scotland, Digital UK;

Wilf White, Director of Policy, Digital Switchover Help Scheme Ltd.

3. Budget scrutiny - appointment of adviser: The Committee will consider a remit and person specification for the appointment of an adviser in connection with its scrutiny of the Scottish Budget 2009-10.

4. Elections 2007 (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

5. Work programme: The Committee will consider whether to hold a planning seminar.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 11 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation on Strategic Development Planning Authority Designation and take oral evidence from the Homelessness Monitoring Group.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J