Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 47/2008: Monday 17 March 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

European and External Relations Committee
18 March 2008
7th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Inquiry into international development: The Committee will take evidence from—

Judith Robertson, Head, Oxfam in Scotland;

Jane Gibree, Director, Save the Children in Scotland;

Gavin McLellan, National Secretary, Christian Aid Scotland; and

Paul Chitnis, Chief Executive, Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF);

and then from—

Kirstie Shirra, Head of Campaigns, World Development Movement Scotland;

Dr Ben Young, National Co-ordinator, Jubilee Scotland;

Eoghan Mackie, Chief Executive, Challenges Worldwide; and

Bobby Anderson, Director, World Exchange.

3. ‘Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland’: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Scottish Government.

4. Committee’s work programme: The Committee will consider a paper by the Clerk.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 15 April, the Committee will take oral evidence from Jack McConnell, MSP and Malcolm Bruce, MP on its inquiry into international development. The Committee will also consider a draft report on its inquiry into the transposition of EU directives.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice Committee
18 March 2008
8th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 7 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Solicitors in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment) 2008 (SSI 2008/40);

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Solicitors in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment No.2) 2008 (SSI 2008/72);

the Police Grant (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/46);

the Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/47);

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/48);

the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 (Adults with Incapacity) (Conseqential Provisions) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/50);

the Adults with Incapacity (Accounts and Funds) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/51);

the Adults with Incapacity (Public Guardian’s Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/52);

the Adults with Incapacity (Recall of Guardians’ Powers) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/53);

the Adults with Incapacity (Reports in Relation to Guardianship and Intervention Orders) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/55);

the Adults with Incapacity (Certificates in Relation to Power of Attorney) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/56); and

the Charities References in Documents (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/59).

3. Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Lord McCluskey;

and then from—

Eleanor Emberson, Chief Executive and Alastair Sim, Director of Policy, Scottish Court Service;

and then from—

Ken Brown, Branch Secretary, Eddie Burrows, Branch Learning Representative Coordinator and Brian Carroll, Former Branch Chairperson, Scottish Court Service Branch of the Public and Commercial Services Union;

and then from—

Susan Gallagher, Head of Policy and Research, Jim Andrews, Head of Community Justice and Frank Russell, Head of Quality and Audit, Victim Support Scotland.

4. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Justice) to move S3M-1406—

That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Civil Legal Aid (Financial Conditions) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 be approved.

5. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Justice) to move S3M-1407—

That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Advice and Assistance (Financial Conditions) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 be approved.

6. Subordinate legislation: Fergus Ewing MSP (Minister for Community Safety) to move S3M-1365—

That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Protected Trust Deeds (Scotland) Regulations 2008 be approved.

7. Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider whether to accept written evidence received after the deadline for submission of written evidence.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 March, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on the Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
18 March 2008
5th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 1.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Review of Volume 2, Section 8 of the Code of Conduct: The Committee will take evidence from—

Brian Adam MSP, Scottish National Party Chief Whip;

Jackie Baillie MSP, Scottish Labour Party Business Manager;

David McLetchie MSP, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party Business Manager;

Robert Brown MSP, Scottish Liberal Democrat Party Business Manager;

and then from—

Alex Neil MSP.

2. Cross-Party Group: The Committee will consider an application for recognition from the proposed Cross-Party Group on Disability.

3. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider in private agenda item 4, on a request from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner and, at future meetings, a draft report on its review of volume 2, section 8 of the Code of Conduct.

4. Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner: The Committee will consider a request for a direction from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

5. Review of Volume 2, Section 8 of the Code of Conduct (in private): The Committee will consider key themes arising out of evidence heard in relation to its review of section 8 of the Code of Conduct.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 April, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence from the Minister for Parliamentary Business on its inquiry into points of order; its work programme and a draft report on its review of volume 2, section 8 of the Code of Conduct.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
18 March 2008
8th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Creative Scotland Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Financial Memorandum of the Creative Scotland Bill.

2. Mainstreaming equal opportunities: The Committee will consider a letter from the Convener of the Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee on whether committees should be obliged to report periodically on how they have built equalities considerations into their work.

3. Review of the budget process (in private): The Committee will consider its approach to a review of the budget process.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 15 April, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on its inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
18 March 2008
5th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will give consideration to the following new petitions—

PE1116 Free nursery education from 3rd birthday

Alexis Stevenson will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by David Whitton MSP

PE1125 Personal expenses allowance

David Manion will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Ann Ferguson

PE1132 Closure of rural schools

Sharon Miller will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Melvin Bell

PE1122 Mordechai Vanunu

PE1130 School closures where pupil roll exceeds 80% of capacity

PE1131 Guidance on literature available in school and public libraries

PE1133 Policies on objection to planning applications

2. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will give further consideration to the following current petitions—

PE743, PE822, PE881 The Same As You

PE944 Equal access rights for parents

PE953 Awareness, diagnosis and treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea

PE965 Duchenne muscular dystrophy

PE966, PE990, PE1041 Investment in community leisure/sports facilities

PE984 High hedges

PE1012 Information plaques

PE1096 Annual monitoring of advice agencies

PE1097 Public sector contracts

PE1098 Mandatory fitting of seatbelts on school buses

PE1101 Planning applications

PE1102 Future of rural post offices

PE1103 Violence against women

PE1104 Environmental impact of windfarm turbines

3. Notification of new petitions: The Committee will consider a paper indicating new petitions lodged since the last Committee meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 15 April, the Committee is expected to consider new petitions on review of guidelines to allow healthy gay and bisexual men to donate blood; and A82 upgrade. The Committee is also expected to further consider current petitions on publication of criminal memoirs; institutional child abuse; vulnerable adults and surreptitious medication; Victim Notification Scheme; traffic regulation orders and disabled parking bays; skin cancer; residential care for the elderly; standard of care for the housebound elderly; employment for disabled people; physiotherapists guarantee; access rights under the Land reform (Scotland) Act 2003; provision of ambulance services; provision of motorcycle facilities; review of the Stewart Committee report; diagnosis and treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis; review of recruitment policies for foreign teachers; and NHS hospital car parking charges.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
18 March 2008
6th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Inquiry into Ferry Services in Scotland: The Committee will take evidence on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland from—

James King, Passenger View Scotland, and Roderick McLeod, Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland;

and then from—

Phil McGarry, Regional Organiser, RMT, Paul Moloney, Assistant General Secretary, Nautilus UK, Stan Crooke, Regional Organiser, TSSA, John Docherty, UNITE and Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, STUC;

and then from—

Peter Williams, Commercial Director, First Scotrail and Marjory Rodger, Director, Confederation of Passenger Transport UK.

2. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Road Works (Inspection Fees) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/43); and

The Water and Sewerage Services Undertaking (Lending by the Scottish Ministers) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/44).

3. Petition: The Committee will consider PE894 on the provision of rail services between Inverness, Thurso and Wick.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 15 April, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take evidence on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
18 March 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill––

Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

2. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s responses in relation to the following––

the Leader Grants (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/66);

the Intensive Support and Monitoring (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/75);

the Bankruptcy (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/82);

the Pollution Prevention and Control (Designation of Batteries Directive) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/86);

the Road Works (Scottish Road Works Register, Notices, Directions and Designations) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/88); and

the National Health Service (Superannuation Scheme, Injury Benefits, Additional Voluntary Contributions and Compensation for Premature Retirement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/92);

3. Instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Local Government Finance (Scotland) Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft).

4. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Mental Health (Cross-border Visits) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft); and

the Victim Notification Scheme (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft).

5. Instruments subject to annulment:

the Public Contracts and Utilities Contracts (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/94);

the Horses (Zootechnical Standards) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/99);

the Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Act 2007 (Fixed Penalty Notices) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/101);

the Sea Fishing (Control Procedures for Herring, Mackerel and Horse Mackerel) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/102);

the Enforcement of Fines (Diligence) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/104);

the Personal Injuries (NHS Charges) (Amounts) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/96);

the Meat Products (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/97);

the Meat (Official Controls Charges) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/98);

the Rural Development Contracts (Rural Priorities) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/100);

the Enforcement of Fines (Seizure and Disposal of Vehicles) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/103);

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/105); and

the National Health Service (Optical Charges and Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/106).

6. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following––

Act of Sederunt (Summary Applications, Statutory Applications and Appeals etc. Rules) Amendment (Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007) 2008 (SSI 2008/111).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 March, it is expected that the Committee consider the delegated powers in the Creative Scotland Bill. The Committee will also consider Scottish Statutory Instruments and other documents subject to parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
19 March 2008
6th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Tourism inquiry - Growing pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015?: The Committee will take evidence on transport, infrastructure and wider issues as part of its tourism inquiry, from—

John Boyle, Chairman, The Hamilton Portfolio Ltd;

David West, Managing Director, Loch Lomond Sea Planes Ltd;

Peter Williams, Commercial Director, FirstScotrail;

Robin Worsnop, Managing Director, Rabbie’s Trail Burners Ltd;

Neil Wells, Managing Director, MF Wells (Hotels) Ltd;

Rebecca Brooks, Director, JAC Travel Scotland Ltd;

and then on the use and impact of events, and wider issues, as part of its tourism inquiry, from—

Stuart Turner, International Events Director - Sport, EventScotland;

Peter Irvine, Managing Director, Unique Events;

Fiona Hampton, Director of Highland 2007;

Gavin Hastings, Chairman, Platinum One (Scotland) Ltd;

Jean Urquhart, Vice Convener, The Highland Council;

Ken Hay, Chief Executive, Scottish Screen.

2. The black economy: The Committee will consider a briefing paper from Scotland’s Futures Forum.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 March, the Committee will take further oral evidence on its tourism inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
19 March 2008
7th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 3 in private.

2. Creative industries: The Committee will take evidence from—

Adrian Gillespie, Director of Electronic Markets, Scottish Enterprise; and Calum Davidson, Head of Knowledge Economy, Highlands and Islands Enterprise;

and then from—

Richard Marsham, Managing Partner, The Leith Agency; Neil Butler, Director, UZ Events; and Dave Clarke, Managing Director, Slam Events Ltd and Soma Recordings Ltd.

3. Creative Scotland Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 16 April, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on school estates.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
19 March 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Planning application processes (Menie estate): The Committee will consider any further actions consequent on the publication of its report on Planning Application Processes (Menie estate).

2. Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 16 April, it is expected that the Committee will consider 3 items of subordinate legislation and review its work programme.

The Committee is also planning to carry out an inquiry into child poverty later in the year.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
19 March 2008
6th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Flooding and flood management inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Alan Leaman, Director of Corporate Affairs, Association of British Insurers, and Ian Ferguson, Director of Commercial Underwriting Strategy, Norwich Union

and then, not before 11.00 am, from—

Michael Russell (Minister for Environment) Bob Irvine, Deputy Director Water Industry, and Judith Tracey, Flooding Policy Manager, Scottish Government;

and decide whether to consider a draft report in private at future meetings.

2. Rural housing inquiry: The Committee will consider a paper updating it on progress with the inquiry.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Water Environment (Diffuse Pollution) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/54);

the Crofting Counties Agricultural Grants (Scotland) Amendment Scheme 2008 (SSI 2008/58);

the Agricultural Processing, Marketing and Co-operation Grants (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/64);

the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding Stuffs) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/65); and

the Leader Grants (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/66).

4. Flooding and flood management inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider the evidence heard earlier in the meeting with a view to identifying preliminary conclusions.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 16 April, the Committee will take evidence on its pig industry inquiry and consider a draft report on its flooding and flood management inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J