Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 38/2008: Tuesday 4 March 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
5 March 2008
6th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Curriculum for Excellence: The Committee will take evidence from—

David Cameron, Vice President, Association of Directors of Education in Scotland; Jane Liddell, Head of Education Quality and Development, North Lanarkshire Council; and Linda Kinney, Head of Learning and Development, Children’s Services, Stirling Council;

and then from—

Larry Flanagan, Education Committee Convener, The Educational Institute of Scotland; Brian Cooklin, President, Headteachers’ Association of Scotland; and Gordon Smith, Past President, Association of Headteachers and Deputes in Scotland.

2. Panjabi language examination: The Committee will consider a letter from Dr Manjit Singh Devgun, President of the Guru Nanak Sikh Temple in Glasgow, on the provision of a Panjabi language examination at S1-S6 level in Scottish schools.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 19 March, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on creative industries.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
5 March 2008
8th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 3

1. Housing and Regeneration Bill (UK Parliament Legislation): The Committee will take evidence on legislative consent memorandum LCM(S3) 10.1 from—

Stewart Maxwell MSP (Minister for Communities and Sport) and Rachel England, Policy Analyst, Social Housing Division, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Housing Support Grant (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft) from—

Stewart Maxwell MSP (Minister for Communities and Sport) and Rachel England, Policy Analyst, Social Housing Division, Scottish Government.

3. Subordinate legislation: Stewart Maxwell MSP (Minister for Communities and Sport) to move S3M-01364—

That the Local Government and Communities Committee recommends that the draft Housing Support Grant (Scotland) Order 2008 be approved.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 (Alteration of Housing Finance Arrangements) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/28);

the Non-Domestic Rate (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/32); and

the Housing Revenue Account General Fund Contibution Limits (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/34).

5. Planning application processes (Menie estate) (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 March, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on Scottish Planning Policy SPP3 Housing (Revision). The Committee expects to consider the Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill at Stage 2 at subsequent meetings. The Committee is also planning to carry out an inquiry into child poverty later in the year.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
5 March 2008
5th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Flooding and flood management inquiry - witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in the inquiry.

2. Flooding and flood management inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Chris Spray, Director of Environmental Science, and David Faichney, Flood Unit Manager, Scottish Environment Protection Agency

and then from—

Assistant Chief Constable Ewan Stewart and Superintendent James Urquhart (Grampian Police), Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland, and David Wynne (Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service), Chief Fire Officers Association of Scotland.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following document that is subject to negative procedure—

Environment Act 1995: The UK Strategy for Radioactive Discharges – Draft Statutory Guidance (SG 2008/13)

and the following negative instrument—

the Sea Fish (Prohibited Methods of Fishing) (Firth of Clyde) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/29).

4. Petitions: The Committee will review progress with the following public petitions—

PE799 from Tom Vella-Boyle supporting proposals by the Community of Arran Seabed Trust for a no-take zone and a marine protected area in Lamlash Bay; and

PE956 from Mary Douglas and PE982 from B Linden Jarvis on ship-to-ship oil transfers in the Firth of Forth.

5. Flooding and flood management inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider the evidence heard earlier in the meeting with a view to identifying preliminary conclusions.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 19 March, the Committee will take oral evidence from representatives from the insurance industry and from the Minister for Environment.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
5 March 2008
4th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.45 am in Committee Room 6

1. Tourism inquiry - Growing Pains: can we achieve a 50% growth in tourist revenue by 2015?: The Committee will take evidence on ease of investment and wider issues as part of its tourism inquiry, from—

Sandy Orr, Executive Chairman, City Inn Ltd;

Dr Maurice Taylor, Chief Executive, Chardon Leisure;

Jerome Mayhew, Director of Business Development and Risk Management, Go Ape!;

Kenneth Clark, Head of Tourism, Scottish Development International;

Stewart Selbie, Area Manager, The Westin Turnberry Resort;

David T G Reid, Partner, Knight Frank LLP.

Not before 12.15 pm

2. Subordinate legislation: Jim Mather MSP (Minister for Enterprise, Energy and Tourism) to move S3M-01275—

That the Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee recommends that the draft Renewables Obligation (Scotland) Amendment Order 2008 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: Jim Mather MSP (Minister for Enterprise, Energy and Tourism) to move S3M-01375—

That the Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee recommends that the draft Official Statistics (Scotland) Order 2008 be approved.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 10 March, it is expected that the Committee will take further oral evidence on its Tourism Inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
5 March 2008
7th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.45 am in Committee Room 5

1. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/27);

and will take evidence from Deirdre Watt, Team Leader and Anne MacLeod, Policy Officer, Community Pharmacy and Primary Care Infrastructure Branch, Catriona Hayes, Statistician, Health Analytical Services Division and David Smith, Solicitor, Health and Community Care Division, Scottish Government.

2. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following petitions:

PE789 by Eric Brown calling for the Scottish Parliament to take a view regarding the need for regulation to ensure that methadone prescriptions are taken by the patient while supervised by a suitable qualified medical practitioner.

PE808 Lillian Lawson, on behalf of the Scottish Council on Deafness, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to develop and establish a specialist inpatient mental health unit for deaf and deafblind people and to provide resources (e.g. training) for mainstream pshychiatric services in the community to make them more accessible to deaf and deafblind people in Scotland.

3. Public Health etc (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on the Public Health etc (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J