Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 156/2007: Monday 19 November 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Justice Committee
20 November 2007
10th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 2

1. Decisions on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private. The Committee will also consider whether to take all future consideration of the main themes arising from evidence sessions on budget scrutiny in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Justice) to move S3M-782—

Kenny MacAskill: The Draft Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Act 2007 (Incidental, Supplemental and Consequential Provisions) (Order) 2007— That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Act 2007 (Incidental, Supplemental and Consequential Provisions) (Order) 2007 be approved.

3. Draft budget scrutiny 2008-09: The Committee will take evidence from—

Chief Superintendent Clive Murray, National President and Chief Superintendent Iain Gordon, Vice-President, Association of Scottish Police Superintendents;

and then from—

Chief Constable David Strang, Chair of ACPOS Criminal Justice Business Area and Doug Cross, Chair of ACPOS Finance Management Business Area.

4. Draft budget scrutiny 2008-09: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 November, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2008-09.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2008-09 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
20 November 2007
9th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the draft Budget (Scotland) Act 2007 Amendment Order 2007 from—

John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth, John Williams, Head of Finance Co-ordination, and Martin Bolt, Finance Co-ordination, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: John Swinney MSP (Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth) to move S3M-781—

John Swinney: The Draft Budget (Scotland) Act Amendment Order 2007— That the Finance Committee recommends that the draft Budget (Scotland) Act 2007 Amendment Order 2007 be approved.

3. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider a paper from the Budget Adviser in private at its meeting on 27 November 2007.

4. Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Financial Memorandum of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill.

5. Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider a paper from the Budget Adviser on the Draft Budget 2008-09.

The Committee expects to continue to consider the Draft Budget 2008-09 at future meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
20 November 2007
8th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE1070 Village and community halls in rural areas

Sandra Hogg will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Norman MacAskill.

PE1086 Hospital car parking charges

Chris Paterson will make a brief statement in support of her petition.

PE1071 Access to visiting specialist teachers

PE1072 John Wheatley College

PE1085 Kinship carers

PE1087 Underground cabling – electricity transmission lines

PE1088 Pay and conditions of further education lecturing staff

PE1089 Cancer causing toxins

2. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will consider the following current petitions—

PE743, PE822, PE881 Same As You

PE768 Speech and language therapy services

PE898 Maternity services in rural communities

PE899 Victim Notification Scheme

PE911 Market led urban re-generation

PE913 Play strategy

PE1040 Bingo industry

3. Notification of new petitions: The Committee will consider a paper indicating the new petitions lodged since the last Committee meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 4 December, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on Scottish Enterprise funding for hairdressing trainees in Scotland; registered social landlords; appeal tribunal to review final decisions by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman; national proof of age card for 12-26; merging of neurology units; seven day care provision; nursery school closures; objecting to quarrying activity; protection from wind farm developments; annual compulsory monitoring of advice agencies; public sector contracts; environmental impact of windfarm developments; school buses seatbelts; and post offices in the Borders.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
20 November 2007
11th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Scottish Water Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07: The Committee will take evidence on Scottish Water’s Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07 from—

Ronnie Mercer, Scottish Water Chair, Geoff Aitkenhead, Asset Management Director, Douglas Millican, Finance and Regulation Director, Scottish Water; and Mark Powels, managing Director, Scottish Water Business Stream.

2. Petition: The Committee will consider Petition PE1064 on the replacement of the Forth Road Bridge.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 November, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on the Budget Process from stakeholders. The Committee will consider its approach to its inquiry into Ferry Services in Scotland at a future meeting.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
20 November 2007
3rd Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Cross-Party Groups (Standards): The Committee will consider applications for recognition from three proposed Cross-Party Groups.

2. Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner (Standards): The Committee will take evidence from Dr Jim Dyer, the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner, on his draft memorandum of understanding with the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service and then on his annual report 2006-07.

3. Report from the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Scotland (Public Appointments) (in private): The Committee will consider a note from its legal advisers on report CPA/2007/02 by the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Scotland.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 11 December, it is expected that the Committee will consider Standards and Procedures issues.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
20 November 2007
12th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the following––

the Transport and Works (Scotland) Act 2007 (Applications and Objections Procedure) Rules 2007 (SSI 2007/draft);

the Transport and Works (Scotland) Act 2007 (Inquiries and Hearings Procedure) Rules 2007 (SSI 2007/draft);

the Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No. 6) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/494);

Act of Adjournal (Criminal Procedure Rules Amendment No.5) (Miscellaneous) 2007 (SSI 2007/495);

the Plant Health (Import Inspection Fees) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/499); and

The National Health Service (Pharmaceutical Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No.3) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/500).

2. Instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Scottish Police Services Authority (Police Support Services) (Modification) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/draft).

3. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/506);

the Remote Monitoring Requirements (Prescribed Courts) (Scotland) Revocation Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/508); and

the Business Improvement Districts (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/510).

4. Instruments not subject to Parliamentary procedure: The Committee will consider the following––

Act of Adjournal (Criminal Procedure Rules Amendment No.6) (Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Act 2007) 2007 (SSI 2007/511).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider Scottish Statutory Instruments and any other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure. The Committee will also consider the delegated powers of the Public Health etc. (Scotland) Bill.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
21 November 2007
10th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Budget process 2008-09 (Stage 2): The Committee will take evidence on the draft budget from—

Mark Batho, Head of Lifelong Learning Directorate, Scottish Government; Donald Henderson, interim Chief Executive, Skills Development Scotland; Linda McDowall, Acting Senior Director of Skills and Learning, Scottish Enterprise; Alex Paterson, Director of the Developing Skills Group, Highlands and Islands Enterprise; and Damien Yates, Chief Executive, Learndirect Scotland.

2. Petitions: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Scottish Government in relation to the following petitions—

PE853 by Ken Venters, on behalf of the Carronhill Action Team, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to introduce legislation requiring all proposals which relate to the closure or alteration of facilities and services for children with special needs to be referred to it and, in the case of such proposals, requiring detailed consultation with parents of affected children and to implement a moratorium preventing the closure of special needs schools until such legislation is in place; and

PE872 by Alexander Longmuir, on behalf of the Arbirlot Parents Group, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to introduce a legislative presumption against closure of rural schools unless there is an undeniable educational and social benefit to the children and communities affected.

3. Petition: The Committee will consider its approach to the following newly referred petition—

PE1046 by Ronnie Smith (General Secretary) on behalf of the Educational Institute of Scotland, calling on the Scottish Parliament to support significant reductions in class sizes in Scottish publicly funded schools during the lifetime of the next Scottish Parliament.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Education (Amendments in respect of Graduate Endowment, Student Fees and Support) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/503).

5. European scrutiny: The Committee will consider a paper by the Clerk.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 November, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take evidence on the Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Bill and the budget process 2008-09.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
21 November 2007
9th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following instruments—

the Feed (Specified Undesirable Substances) (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/492);

the National Health Service (General Medical Services Contracts) (Scotland) Amendment (no.3) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/501); and

the National Health Service (Primary Medical Service Section 17C Agreements) (Scotland) Amendment (no.3) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/502).

2. Budget Process 2008-09: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jack Law, Chief Executive, Alcohol Focus Scotland; Dave Liddell, Director, Scottish Drugs Forum, and Roger Howard, Chief Executive, UK Drug Policy Commission.

3. Budget Process 2008-09: The Committee will take evidence on the sport budget from—

Julie Bracewell, Chair, and Lee Cousins, Head of Policy, sportscotland

4. Budget Process 2008-09 (in private): The Committee will discuss the evidence heard.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider the Budget Process 2008-09.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
21 November 2007
10th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Environmental Impact Assessment (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/484).

2. Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Nick Brown, Bill Team Leader, Ian Campbell, Glasgow 2014 and London 2012 Team and David Thompson, Policy Adviser, Scottish Government.

3. Scottish Planning Policy SPP11 - Physical Activity and Open Space: The Committee will take evidence from—

Helen Wood, Principal Planner and John McNairney, Assistant Chief Planner, Scottish Government.

Not before 1.00 pm:

4. Electoral Commission Report: The Committee will take evidence from Ron Gould by video conference.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 November, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence from Stewart Maxwell MSP, Minister for Communities and Sport, on the Scottish Budget 2008-09.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the Scottish Budget 2008-09 and consider the Glasgow Commonwealth Games Bill at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
21 November 2007
8th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Fisheries Council: The Committee will take evidence on the issues to be considered at the December EU Fisheries Council from the following Fisheries Research Services officials—

Nick Bailey, Co-ordinator of Fisheries Advice and member of the European Commission’s Scientific, Technical and Economic Committee for Fisheries, John Simmonds, Pelagic Stocks Management Advisor and UK member of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) Advisory Committee on Fishery Management, and Coby Needle, Demersal Stocks Management Advisor and chair of the ICES Working Methods Group.

2. Rural housing: The Committee will consider whether to appoint a member as reporter to attend the Rural Housing Service Annual Conference 2008.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Environmental Impact Assessment and Natural Habitats (Extraction of Minerals by Marine Dredging) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/485);

the Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No. 6) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/494);

the Plant Health (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/498);

the Plant Health (Import Inspection Fees) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/499); and

the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/506).

Not before 11am–

4. Scottish Government’s Budget 2008-09: The Committee will take evidence on the Scottish Budget Spending Review 2007 from the following Scottish Government officials—

Richard Wakeford, Director General Environment; John Mason, Director of Environmental Quality Directorate and Director of Climate Change and Water Industry Directorate; Andy Robb, Director of Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate; Maggie Gill, Director of Rural and Environment Research and Analysis Directorate; David Wilson, Director of Marine Directorate; Peter Russell, Director of Rural Directorate; Bob McIntosh, Director, Forestry Commission Scotland; and David Dalgetty, Finance Team Leader (Rural Affairs and Environment), Finance Directorate.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 5 December, the Committee will take evidence on the EU Fisheries Council and Scottish Government’s budget from the Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
21 November 2007
8th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 2

1. Budget process 2008-09 (Stage 2) (in private): The Committee will discuss its approach to scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2008-09 with the Committee’s budget advisor.

Not before 11.00 am.

2. The establishment of an Energy Technologies Institute and the opportunities for Scotland: The Committee will take evidence, in a roundtable discussion, from—

Graeme Dickson, Director, Enterprise, Energy and Tourism, and Jane Morgan, Head, Energy and Telecommunications, Scottish Government;

and then from—

Dr David Clarke, Chief Executive designate, Energy Technologies Institute;

Dr Alison Wall, Joint Head, Energy and Climate Change, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Lead, Research Councils’ Energy Programme;

and then from—

Professor Jim McDonald, Deputy Principal, University of Strathclyde;

Professor Stephen Logan, Senior Vice-Principal, University of Aberdeen;

Professor David Gani, Director of Research Policy and Strategy, Scottish Further and Higher Education Funding Council;

Paul Lewis, Managing Director, Industries, and Simon Puttock, Senior Manager - Strategy and Planning for Energy, Scottish Enterprise.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 November, it is expected that the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget 2008-09 with an oral evidence taking session.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
21 November 2007
7th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 4 and 5 in private.

2. Dealing with offending by young people: The Committee will take evidence on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Dealing with offending by young people" (AGS/2007/4) from—

Philip Rycroft, Director General Education, Colin MacLean, Director, Children, Young People & Social Care Directorate, and Donna Bell, Team Leader, Care & Justice Department, Scottish Government.

3. Section 22 Reports: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on the Section 22 report entitled "The 2006/07 Audit of the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland Administration."

4. Consideration of evidence: The Committee will consider the evidence taken at agenda item 2.

5. Consideration of approach: The Committee will consider its approach to the Section 22 Report entitled "The 2006/07 Audit of the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland Administration."

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 5 December 2007, it is expected that the Committee will consider an approach paper on the Committee’s inquiry on the Section 22 Report "The 2006/07 Audit of the Western Isles Health Board" and consider a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report on NHS Recruitment.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J