Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 129/2007: Monday 1 October 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

European and External Relations Committee
2 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Choice of Convener: The Committee will choose a Convener.

3. International Development Inquiry: The Committee will take evidence, in a round table discussion, from—

Mervyn Lee, Executive Director, Mercy Corps; Judith Robertson, Head, Oxfam in Scotland; Jenny Schwarz, Projects Co-ordinator, VETAID; Leo Williams, Scotland Malawi Partnership; Eoghan Mackie, Chief Executive Officer, Challenges Worldwide; George Rawlinson, Solas Educational Trust; Paul Chitnis, Chief Executive, Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF), Professor John Struthers, Paisley Business School, University of Paisley

4. Scottish Government’s European Union priorities: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 30 October the Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture in relation to external affairs issues and will consider the remit of its reporter-led inquiry on the scrutiny of European legislation. The Committee also expects to consider correspondence from the Scottish Government in relation to ‘A National Conversation’.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice Committee
2 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 4, 5 and 6 in private.

2. Scottish Police Services Authority: The Committee will take evidence from—

David Mulhern, Chief Executive, Mervyn Rolfe, Convener, and Chief Constable John Vine, Member, Scottish Police Services Authority.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Licensing Conditions (Late Opening Premises) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/336);

the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders (United States of America) (Scotland) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/354);

the Recovery of Maintenance (United States of America) (Scotland) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/355);

the European Communities (Lawyer’s Practice) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/358);

the European Communities (Services of Lawyers) Amendment (Scotland) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/359);

the Gambling Act 2005 (Review of Premises Licences) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/394);

the Gambling Act 2005 (Fees No. 3) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/395);

the Licensing (Training of Staff) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/397);

the Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Designated Activities) (Scotland) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/398); and

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/425).

4. Budget Process 2008-09 - witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in the Committee’s consideration of the budget process.

5. Effective use of police resources inquiry: The Committee will consider its approach to the inquiry.

6. Effective use of police resources inquiry: The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of adviser.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 23 October, it is expected that the Committee will begin taking evidence on its inquiry into the effective use of police resources.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its inquiry into the effective use of police resources at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee
2 October 2007
3rd Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Declaration of interests: Michael McMahon will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 6 and 7 in private.

3. Budget process 2008-09: The Committee will consider its approach to the 2008-09 budget process.

4. Petition PE965: The Committee will consider a petition by Jan Goodall on behalf of Dundee Accessible Transport Action Group calling for the Scottish Parliament to ensure that local authorities have affordable, accessible local transport available to disabled people who cannot use public transport and to provide ring-fenced funding to allow local authority and/or community groups to provide Dial a Ride projects for this purpose.

5. European Union: The Committee will consider its approach to engaging with European matters.

6. Equal Opportunities Committee remit: The Committee will consider a paper on the remit of the Equal Opportunities Committee.

7. European Year of Equal Opportunities for All: The Committee will consider its approach to the European Year of Equal Opportunities for All.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 23 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence from the LGBT Hearts and Minds Group.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
2 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Declaration of Interests: John Wilson MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE1056 Diagnosis and treatment of deep vein thrombosis

Gordon McPherson will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Jane McPherson and Steven McPherson.

PE1052 Promoting the services of independent midwives

Jayne Heron will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Cassy McNamara.

PE1044 ‘One Year Job Guarantee’ for physiotherapists

PE1051 The Charter for Grandchildren

PE1058 The impact of 24-hour supermarket developments

PE1063 Speculative fee arrangements between solicitor/advocates and clients

PE1073 Catholics in Scottish prisons

PE1074 Road user charging

3. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions and written submissions received—

PE808 Mental health services for deaf and deaf/blind people

PE867 Vulnerable adults and surreptitious medication

PE873 Post Polio Syndrome and review of neurological services

PE894 Provision of rail services between Inverness, Thurso and Wick

PE908, PE909 and PE1007 Traffic regulation orders and disabled parking bays

PE934 Consultation on traffic regulation orders

PE953 Awareness, diagnosis and treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea

PE984 High hedges

PE1008 Review of the operation of the Accountant in Bankruptcy

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 23 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE1057, PE1065, PE1046, PE1047, PE1048, PE1049, PE1050, PE1055, PE1064

The Committee also expects to further consider the following current petitions—

PE1005, PE1006, PE1009, PE1010, PE1013, PE1019, PE1020, PE1021, PE1026, PE1027

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
2 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Finance and Sustainable Growth: The Committee will take evidence from John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth, on issues within his portfolio which relate to the Committee’s remit.

2. Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Stewart Stevenson MSP, Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change.

3. Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to its draft Stage 1 Report on the Bill.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 23 October it is expected that the Committee will consider its draft Stage 1 Report on the Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
2 October 2007
1st Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Declaration of interests: Members of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Choice of Convener: The Committee will choose a Convener.

3. Choice of Deputy Convener: The Committee will choose a Deputy Convener.

4. Cross-Party Groups (Standards): The Committee will consider applications for recognition from 5 proposed Cross-Party Groups.

5. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 6, 7 and 8 in private.

6. Work programme: The Committee will consider its approach to developing its work programme.

7. Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Scottish Government on whether to include the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner within the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

8. Report from the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Scotland (Public Appointments): The Committee will consider its approach to report CPA/2007/02 from the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Scotland.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 30 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider Standards and Procedures issues.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
2 October 2007
7th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 5 in private.

2. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s response in relation to the following—

the University of the West of Scotland Order of Council 2007 (SSI 2007/426);

the Surface Waters (Shellfish) (Classification) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/427); and

the Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No. 3) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/428).

3. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Protection of Charities Assets (Exemption) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007, (SSI 2007/draft); and

the Fundable Bodies (Scotland) (No. 2) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/draft).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Natural Mineral Water, Spring Water and Bottled Drinking Water (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/435);

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/438);

the Less Favoured Area Support Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/439); and

the Administrative Justice and Tribunals Council (Listed Tribunals) (Scotland) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/436).

5. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 23 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and any other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Scottish Parliamentary Pensions Scheme Committee
2 October 2007
2nd Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 3.00 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider its draft consultation paper.

Proposed future business
The Committee does not expect to meet again until the end of the year.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
3 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Declaration of interests: Lewis MacDonald MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 6 in private.

3. Approach to developing a work programme: The Committee will take evidence, in a round-table discussion, from—

Iain M McMillan, Director, CBI Scotland;

Andrew Watson, Acting Head of Press and Parliamentary Affairs, Federation of Small Businesses Scotland;

Iain D Duff, Chief Economist and Policy Manager, The Scottish Council for Development and Industry;

Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress;

Liz Cameron, Chief Executive, Scottish Chambers of Commerce;

Steve Dunlop, Director, British Waterways Scotland;

Dr Janet Lowe, Chair of the Skills Committee, Scottish Funding Council;

Jim Lee, Secretary, Co-operation & Mutuality Scotland Ltd;

Dr Howard Marriage, Entrepreneur in Residence, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh; and

Antonia Swinson, Chief Executive, Scottish Social Enterprise Coalition.

4. Approach to developing a work programme: The Committee will discuss its work programme and the subject matter of any inquiries.

5. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following petitions—

PE837 by Neil Hollow, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to encourage the fitting of small-scale energy generation equipment to buildings and to addresses issues of planning and the charging regime.

PE969 by Alan Kennedy, calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to promote and encourage the development and installation of micro-power renewable energy technology in business and domestic premises and to set targets for doing so.

6. Budget process 2008-09: The Committee will consider a shortlist of candidates for the appointment of an adviser on the budget process 2008-09.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from Sir George Mathewson, Chair, The Council of Economic Advisers.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
3 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private.

2. Higher and further education funding and governance: The Committee will take evidence on higher and further education funding and governance from—

Howard McKenzie, Acting Chief Executive, Association of Scotland’s Colleges;

and then from—

David Caldwell, Director, Universities Scotland;

and then from—

Roger McClure, Chief Executive, Scottish Funding Council;

and then from—

James Alexander, President, National Union of Students Scotland.

3. Budget process 2008-09 (Stage 2) - appointment of adviser: The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of adviser in connection with its forthcoming consideration of the Scottish Government’s Budget.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 24 October it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
3 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following instruments—

the National Health Service (Pharmaceutical Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/390);

the National Health Service (Travelling Expenses and Remmission of Charges) (Scotland) Amendment (No.3) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/391);

the National Health Service (Primary Medical Services Section 17C Agreements) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/393);

the Miscellaneous Food Additives and Sweeteners in Food Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/412);

the National Health Service (General Dental Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/422);

the Food for Particualr Nutritional Uses (Scotland) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/424); and,

the Plastic Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (Lid Gaskets) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/433).

2. Budget process 2008-09: The Committee will take evidence on the sport aspects of the Budget Review Group’s reports from—

Bill Howat, Lead Reviewer, and Bill Hughes, Budget Review Group.

3. Budget process 2008-09 (in private): The Committee will consider its approach to scrutiny of the sport budget in the light of evidence taken today.

4. Committee work programme (in private): The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider its work programme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
3 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Decision to take item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 (Repayment Charge and Discharge) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/419).

3. Fuel poverty: The Committee will take evidence from—

Eddie Follan, Public Affairs Manager, Energywatch;

Norman Kerr, Director, Energy Action Scotland;

David McNeish, Paliamentary and Policy Officer, Citizens Advice Bureau;

Nick Waugh, Policy Officer, Help the Aged;

and then from—

Sandy Black, Home Energy Adviser, Scottish Borders Council;

Eddy Collier, Director, Scottish Gas;

Roger Harris, Head of Private Sector Policy Delivery, Communities Scotland;

Dr Andrew Scott, Head of Social Housing Division, Scottish Government.

4. Fuel poverty: The Committee will discuss the evidence taken from witnesses in agenda item 3.

Proposed future business
It is expected that the Committee will review its work programme when it meets again after the October recess.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
3 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Karen Gillon will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Crown Estate: The Committee will take evidence on the Crown Estate Review Working Group report, The Crown Estate in Scotland: new opportunities for public benefits, from—

Councillor Richard Durham, member of the Highland Council and former chair of the Working Group, Councillor Alex Macdonald, Convener of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, and George Hamilton, employee of the Highland Council and former secretary to the Working Group, Highlands and Islands Local Authority Conveners’ Group.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Surface Waters (Shellfish) (Classification) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/427); and

the Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No.3) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/428).

4. Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation: The Committee will consider a paper and decide what, if any, further scrutiny to undertake.

5. Rural housing inquiry: The Committee will consider a paper on initial evidence-gathering to inform the remit of the inquiry.

6. European Union Scrutiny: The Committee will consider a paper updating it on EU issues relevant to its remit.

Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 24 October, the Committee will take evidence from the Crown Estate on the Crown Estate Review Working group’s report and consider subordinate legislation on the Less Favoured Area Support Scheme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J