Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 120/2007: Tuesday 18 September 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Local Government and Communities Committee
19 September 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate legislation: Stewart Maxwell MSP (Minister for Communities and Sport) to move motion S3M-278—

S3M-278 Nicola Sturgeon: The Draft Housing Grants (Assessment of Contributions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007—That the Local Government and Communities Committee recommends that the draft Housing (Assessment of Contributions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 be approved.

2. Responsibilities of the Minister for Communities and Sport: The Committee will be briefed by Stewart Maxwell MSP, Minister for Communities and Sport.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Scottish Local Government Elections Amendment Order 2007, (SSI 2007/379).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 September it is expected that the Committee will consider Affordable Housing.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
19 September 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Approach to developing a work programme: The committee will take evidence in a round-table discussion, from—

Dr Jillian Anable, Topic Leader, UK Energy Research Centre;

Dr Richard Dixon, Director, WWF Scotland;

Duncan McLaren, Chief Executive, Friends of the Earth Scotland;

Professor Andrew Miller, the Royal Society of Edinburgh;

Elaine Morrison, Chair, Solar Cities Scotland;

John Stocks, Manager for Scotland, the Carbon Trust;

Mike Thornton, Head, Energy Saving Trust Scotland;

Adam Scorer, Director of Campaigns, Energywatch;

and then from—

Robert Armour, Company Secretary, British Energy;

David Gray, Managing Director, Networks Division, Ofgem;

Stuart Haszeldine, School of Geosciences, University of Edinburgh;

Alan Mortimer, Head of Renewables Policy, Scottish Power;

Dr Brian Smith, Head of Projects, Scottish and Southern;

Grant Thoms, Press & Parliamentary Officer, Scottish Renewables Forum;

Malcolm Webb, Chief Executive, Oil and Gas UK.

3. Scottish Government’s skills strategy: The Committee will consider Skills for Scotland – a lifelong skills strategy, the role of the enterprise agencies and related issues.

4. Budget Process 2008-09: The Committee will consider a shortlist of candidates for the appointment of an advisor on the budget process 2008-09.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 3 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence, in a round-table discussion, on the economy and consider petitions PE837and PE969.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
19 September 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Free school meals pilot: The Committee will take evidence on the Scottish Government’s proposed free school meals pilot from—

David Cowan, Policy Officer, Support for Learning Division, Schools Directorate, Mike Gibson, Deputy Director, Support for Learning Division, Schools Directorate and Laurence Sullivan, Senior Principal Legal Officer, Scottish Government Legal Directorate, Scottish Government;

and then from—

Tam Baillie, Assistant Director (Policy and Influencing), Barnardo’s Scotland; Kelly Bayes, Head of Policy and Communications, Aberlour Child Care Trust; and Paula Evans, Policy and Parliamentary Information Officer, Children in Scotland.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on The Provision of School Lunches (Disapplication of the Requirement to Charge) (Scotland) Order 2007, (SSI 2007/draft) from—

David Cowan, Policy Officer, Support for Learning Division, Schools Directorate, Mike Gibson, Deputy Director, Support for Learning Division, Schools Directorate and Laurence Sullivan, Senior Principal Legal Officer, Scottish Government Legal Directorate, Scottish Government.

3. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following petitions—

PE853 by Ken Venters, on behalf of the Carronhill Action Team, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to introduce legislation requiring all proposals which relate to the closure or alteration of facilities and services for children with special needs to be referred to it and, in the case of such proposals, requiring detailed consultation with parents of affected children and to implement a moratorium preventing the closure of special needs schools until such legislation is in place; and

PE872 by Alexander Longmuir, on behalf of the Arbirlot Parents Group, calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to introduce a legislative presumption against closure of rural schools unless there is an undeniable educational and social benefit to the children and communities affected.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 September it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
19 September 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Foot-and-Mouth Disease: The Committee will take evidence from Richard Lochhead MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment, Charles Milne, Chief Veterinary Officer, and Neil Ritchie, Head of Animal Health and Welfare Strategy, Planning and Exotic Diseases Branch, Scottish Government.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence from—

Richard Lochhead MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment, Ingrid Clayden, Deputy Director, Rural Development, and Sandy McNeil, Solicitor, Legal Directorate, Scottish Government

on the following negative instrument—

the Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/414).

  1. Subordinate legislation: Mike Rumbles MSP to move S3M-458—

Mike Rumbles: Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007— recommends that nothing further be done under the Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/414).

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Plant Protection Products (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/410);

the Plant Health (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007 (SSI 2007/415);

the Plant Health (Phytophthora ramorum) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007 (SSI 2007/416);

the Seed Potatoes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/418);

the Zoonoses (Monitoring) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/420); and

the Porcine Semen (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/421).

5. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following public petitions that were lodged during Session 2 and considered by the Environment and Rural Development Committee—

PE749 from Geoffrey Kolbe on behalf of Newcastleton and District Community Council seeking a moratorium and legislative restrictions on the spreading of sewage sludge;

PE799 from Tom Vella-Boyle supporting proposals by the Community of Arran Seabed Trust for a no-take zone and a marine protected area in Lamlash Bay;

PE956 from Mary Douglas and PE982 from B Linden Jarvis on ship-to-ship oil transfers in the Firth of Forth; and

PE1011 from Ian MacKinnon, on behalf of Action against Marine Park, calling for approval by referendum before new national parks are established.

6. Flooding inquiry: The Committee will consider an approach paper and a draft remit for the inquiry.

7. Budget adviser: The Committee will consider a draft specification for the post of budget adviser; and will decide whether its prioritisation of candidates at a future meeting should be taken in private.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 3 October it is expected that the Committee will consider papers updating it on relevant EU issues within its remit and on the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation. It is also anticipated that the Committee will consider a report by the Crown Estate Review Working Group.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
19 September 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Declaration of Interests: Jamie Stone MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 6 in private.

3. Sports Policy: The Committee will take evidence from Stewart Maxwell MSP, Minister for Communities and Sport, on the Scottish Government’s sports policy.

4. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following instruments—

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) (No.2) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/389);

the National Health Service (General Medical Services Contracts) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/392); and,

the National Health Service (Primary Medical Services Performers Lists) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/413).

5. Forthcoming legislation in public health: The Committee will consider forthcoming legislation in public health which mat arise as a result of the Government’s legislative programme.

6. Committee work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 September, it is expected that the Committee will consider its work programme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Section C – Other Future Meetings

This section includes the agendas of other forthcoming meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change.

Scottish Commission for Public Audit
19 September 2007
2nd Meeting, 2007

The Commission will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Commission will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.

2. Commission working practices: The Commission will consider a paper on its working practices.

3. Audit Scotland Annual Report and Accounts for the year to 31 March 2007 and Auditor’s Report on the Accounts: The Commission will take evidence from—

    Robert Black, Auditor General for Scotland;

    Russell Frith, Director of Audit Strategy; and

    Diane McGiffen, Director of Corporate Services, Audit Scotland;

and then from—

    Richard Gibson, HW Chartered Accountants, External Auditors to Audit Scotland.

4. Audit Scotland’s response to the Commission’s 1st Report 2006 on Audit Scotland’s Expenditure Proposals for 2007-08, and 2007-08 Autumn Budget Revision: The Commission will take evidence from—

    Robert Black, Auditor General for Scotland;

    Russell Frith, Director of Audit Strategy; and

    Diane McGiffen, Director of Corporate Services, Audit Scotland.

5. Audit Scotland’s provisional budget estimate for 2008-09: The Commission will take evidence from—

    Robert Black, Auditor General for Scotland;

    Russell Frith, Director of Audit Strategy; and

    Diane McGiffen, Director of Corporate Services, Audit Scotland.

6. Audit Scotland evidence: The Commission will consider the evidence taken at agenda items 3, 4 and 5.

Proposed future business

The next meeting of the Commission is expected to be on 28 November 2007. At that meeting, the Commission will consider Audit Scotland’s proposed budget for 2008-09.

For further details, contact the Secretary, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J