Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 93/2007: Thursday 21 June 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section E – Written questions lodged on 20 June 2007

Questions marked with a triangle (Δ) are initiated by the Scottish Executive in order to facilitate the provision of information to the Parliament.

S3W-1272 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S3O-204 by John Swinney on 14 June 2007 (Official Report, c. 780-81), whether it plans a full review of the (a) Waverley Railway project, (b) Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine railway, (c) Glasgow Airport Rail Link, (d) Airdrie to Bathgate rail link, (e) redevelopment of Waverley station and (f) Larkhall to Milngavie rail link.

S3W-1273 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S3O-204 by John Swinney on 14 June 2007 (Official Report, c. 780-81), whether it plans a full review of the M74 extension.

S3W-1274 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive what estimate it has made of the cost of improving the local road network.

S3W-1275 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive what estimate it has made of the cost of eliminating any backlog of trunk road maintenance.

S3W-1276 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive what estimate it has made of the annual cost of routine structural maintenance on the road network.

S3W-1277 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to improve the condition of local roads.

S3W-1278 Alison McInnes: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to increase funding to local authorities to improve the condition of local roads.

S3W-1279 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will monitor its co-operation agreement with the Northern Ireland Assembly government.

S3W-1280 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive who will be responsible for monitoring its co-operation agreement with the Northern Ireland Assembly government.

S3W-1281 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive what its priorities are for the British-Irish Council meeting in July 2007.

S3W-1282 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive who will represent it at the British-Irish Council meeting in July 2007.

S3W-1283 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it considers that out-of-hours and weekend support should be provided by the five regional wheelchair centres to people who use wheelchairs.

S3W-1284 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress is being made toward establishing a project board to progress the results of the Moving Forward review of NHS wheelchair and seating services.

S3W-1285 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive how it is monitoring the implementation of the recommendations of the Moving Forward review of NHS wheelchair and seating services.

S3W-1286 Patricia Ferguson: To ask the Scottish Executive how it is monitoring the use of the £1 million additional funding made available by the previous administration to address issues arising from the Moving Forward review of NHS wheelchair and seating services.

S3W-1287 Derek Brownlee: To ask the Scottish Executive what criteria will be used under the Strategic Transport Projects Review to assess (a) road and (b) rail projects.

S3W-1288 Derek Brownlee: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will consider funding any projects not considered in the Strategic Transport Projects Review.

S3W-1289 Derek Brownlee: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will fund any projects assessed in the Strategic Transport Projects Review that do not meet the assessment criteria.

S3W-1290 John Lamont: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it plans to introduce legislation similar to that in England and Wales to address the issue of overgrown hedges, trees and other vegetation.

S3W-1291 Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive what estimate it has made of the revenue cost of providing annual council tax discounts for pensioner households of (a) £100, (b) £200, (c) £250, (d) £400, (e) £500, (f) £750 and (g) £1,000.

S3W-1292 Jack McConnell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it supports the redevelopment of the Ravenscraig site and will work constructively with the Ravenscraig Partnership on issues falling within the Executive’s remit.

S3W-1293 Jack McConnell: To ask the Scottish Executive when it plans to meet representatives of Scottish Enterprise Lanarkshire, North Lanarkshire Council, Wilson Bowden Developments and Corus to discuss their proposals for developing the Ravenscraig brownfield site.

S3W-1294 Jack McConnell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will reaffirm the recent financial commitments from the board of Scottish Enterprise to the development of the Ravenscraig site.

S3W-1295 Jack McConnell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will reaffirm the recent decisions of the Scottish Funding Council on the development of a new site for Motherwell College on the Ravenscraig site.

S3W-1296 Marlyn Glen: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it plans to continue the operation of the Domestic Abuse Court at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

S3W-1297 Marlyn Glen: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will agree in principle to a phased roll-out of the Domestic Abuse Court at Glasgow Sheriff Court to cover the whole of Glasgow.

S3W-1298 Marlyn Glen: To ask the Scottish Executive how it intends to develop an overarching national structure of domestic abuse courts and a national action plan to consider the lessons of the Glasgow pilot scheme and the roll-out of best practice across Scotland.

S3W-1299 Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive what it will do to increase availability of more affordable, socially rented accommodation in the Scottish Borders.

S3W-1300 Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will increase the funding available to registered social landlords in the Scottish Borders for housing adaptations.

S3W-1301 Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will confirm the commitment to protect rural schools.

S3W-1302 Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will be in a position to review the closure of Glentrool Primary School in Newton Stewart.

S3W-1303 Jim Hume: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will be in a position to advise parents and staff whether Glentrool Primary School in Newton Stewart will remain open after this summer’s academic break.

S3W-1304 Derek Brownlee: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it inherited from the previous administration for further extensions to the Borders railway.

S3W-1305 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive when it anticipates that the tenders for Scottish Enterprise Network’s Business Gateway will be awarded.

S3W-1306 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it is reviewing the operation of Scottish Enterprise Network’s Business Gateway and, if so, what the timescale is for the review.

S3W-1307 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will publish the Social Work Inspection Agency’s report on its inspection of Argyll and Bute Council’s social work services.

S3W-1308 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive when it last met Argyll and Bute Council to discuss social work services at the council.

S3W-1309 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has any concerns about the quality of or the level of funding for older people services in Argyll and Bute.

S3W-1310 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will use its powers of intervention in respect of social work services at Argyll and Bute Council if it is found that there is not a sufficiently robust improvement plan.

S3W-1311 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive when the First Minister first received a minute on the existence of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and to which Ministers, including the Lord Advocate, that minute was copied.

S3W-1312 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive when and how the Cabinet Secretary for Justice was informed of the existence of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments.

S3W-1313 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive when the First Minister was given a copy with the full text of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and to which ministers, including the Lord Advocate, it was copied.

S3W-1315 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive when the First Minister first minuted other ministers regarding the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and which ministers, including the Lord Advocate, were minuted.

S3W-1316 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive, during the period between it first being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and the First Minister’s emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007, how many minutes were sent on the issue; on what dates they were sent; from whom and to whom they were sent, and which other ministers, including the Lord Advocate, received copies.

S3W-1317 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive how many submissions by officials were made and to which ministers, including the Lord Advocate, on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and which ministers were copied into those submissions.

S3W-1318 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, during the period between it first being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and the First Minister’s emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007, any minutes were sent from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice to the First Minister on the matter and, if so, how many such minutes were sent and on what dates and to whom they were copied.

S3W-1319 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive how many conversations took place between the Lord Advocate and the First Minister during the period between the First Minister first being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and him formally consulting the Lord Advocate on the matter about (a) the memorandum of understanding and (b) any other issue.

S3W-1320 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, during the period between the First Minister first being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and his emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007, any minute was sent from the Lord Advocate to the First Minister on this matter and, if so, how many such minutes were sent and on what dates and to which ministers they were copied.

S3W-1321 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Lord Advocate was invited to the Cabinet to give advice on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments; if so, when, and if not, why not.

S3W-1322 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments was a formal item on the agenda issued for the Cabinet’s meeting on 5 June 2007 and whether any papers supporting the item were circulated or whether the item was taken as a late item without having been a formal agenda item.

S3W-1323 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Cabinet agenda for the meeting on 5 June 2007 was issued to ministers, including the Lord Advocate.

S3W-1324 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments, or any other paper concerning the memorandum of understanding, was tabled at the Cabinet meeting on 5 June 2007.

S3W-1325 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments, or any other paper concerning the memorandum of understanding, was tabled at the Cabinet meeting on 5 June 2007.

S3W-1326 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Lord Advocate was made aware that the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments was to be discussed at Cabinet and, if so, how and when she was made aware of it.

S3W-1327 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Lord Advocate saw any Cabinet papers sent in advance or tabled at Cabinet on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments prior to their circulation or tabling and whether she was given the opportunity to comment on these papers.

S3W-1328 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive why the Cabinet did not receive the Lord Advocate’s opinion and advice on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments at its meeting on 5 June 2007.

S3W-1329 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether at any point following being informed about the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments the First Minister invited the Lord Advocate to discuss the matter with the Lord Chancellor; if so, when, and, if not, why not.

S3W-1330 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Lord Advocate discussed the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments with the Lord Chancellor of her own volition and, if so, when.

S3W-1331 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, at any point after being informed about the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments, the First Minister invited the Permanent Secretary to discuss the matter with the UK Cabinet Secretary; if so, when, and, if not, why not.

S3W-1332 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, at any time between the First Minister first being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and his emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007, UK officials advised that the memorandum of understanding did not have the implications that the First Minister outlined in his statement and, if so, why this was not reflected in the statement.

S3W-1333 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, with regard to the First Minister’s emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007 on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments, the First Minister considered including in the formal statement copied in advance to opposition leaders reference to that part of the memorandum of understanding that made clear that the UK Government was committed to seeking the agreement of devolved administrations; if so, what consideration he gave to including it, and, if not, why he did not.

S3W-1334 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether, with regard to the First Minister’s emergency statement to the Parliament on 7 June 2007 on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments, the First Minister considered explicitly stating in the formal statement copied in advance to opposition leaders that the UK Government could not agree to any prisoner release within Scotland without a decision to that effect being made by the Scottish Ministers; if so, what consideration he gave to including it, and, if not, why he did not.

S3W-1335 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive how long the First Minister plans to take before consulting the Lord Advocate on any future emergencies with a legal dimension and what the First Minister considers to be an acceptable timescale for such consultation.

S3W-1336 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive why the First Minister did not consult the Lord Advocate immediately after being informed of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments.

S3W-1337 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Cabinet came to any conclusion at its meeting on 5 June 2007 about the handling of the issue of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and prior to consulting the Lord Advocate.

S3W-1338 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there was any communication between it and the UK Government to notify the UK Government of the intention to have an emergency statement in the Parliament on the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments and, if so, on what date and at what time such communication took place.

S3W-1339 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive on what day and at what time of that day the First Minister was first made aware of the existence of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments.

S3W-1340 Peter Peacock: To ask the Scottish Executive how the First Minister was first aware of the existence of the memorandum of understanding between the UK and Libyan governments.

 
Contents An A B C D E F G H I J