Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 23/2007: Wednesday 7 February 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section A – Today’s Business

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Petitions: TheCommittee willconsider the following petitions—

PE956 by Mary Douglas calling on the Parliament to urge the Executive to ensure the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 1994, as amended, are applied in relation to ship to ship oil transfers in Scotland; and

PE982 by B Linden Jarvis calling on the Parliament to consider and debate the implications of proposed ship to ship transfers of oil at anchor in the Forth Estuary, specifically focussing such consideration and debate on the likely impact of such operations upon wildlife, tourism, local authority funding of clean-up and how it may use its powers within the 12 mile tidal limits to protect the local ecology, scenery, environment and areas of special scientific interest and habitat within the Estuary;

and will take evidence from—

Les Douglas, Petitioner;
B Linden Jarvis, Petitioner;

and then from—

Iain Rennick, Area Manager, Forth and Borders, SNH;
Richard Evans, Sites Policy Officer, RSPB Scotland;
Dr Bob McLellan, Head of Transportation Services, Fife Council;
Stephen Walker, Acting Head of Environmental Health, The City of Edinburgh Council;

and then from—

Charles Hammond, Group Chief Executive, Captain Bob Baker, Asset Manager Marine/Chief Harbour Master, Dr Derek McGlashan, Ports Security/Environment Manager (Scottish Operation) and Morag McNeill, Group Company Secretary, Forth Ports plc;

and then from—

Sarah Boyack MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development, Fiona Harrison, Head of Marine Management Division, Bruce Stewart, Marine Strategy, and Judith Morrison, Legal and Parliamentary Services, Scottish Executive.

Justice 1 Committee
9th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 4

1. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Communities Committee
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private and to consider its legacy paper in private at future meetings.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Environmental Impact Assessment (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/614).

3. Petition: The Committee will consider petition PE903 by Eurig Scandrett calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to develop and introduce a Scottish Planning Policy document on ecovillages.

4. Legacy paper: The Committee will consider whether to prepare a legacy paper for consideration by its successor Committee, and what it might contain.

Education Committee
3rd Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Russell Gunson, Policy and Communications Officer, and Alex Cole-Hamilton, Senior Parliamentary Officer, Youthlink and member of Policy Committee, Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations

and then from—

Penny Curtis, Team Leader, Education, Children and Young People, Convention of Scottish Local Authorities;
Lynn Townsend, Head of Service, West Dunbartonshire Council, Association of Directors of Education;
Michelle Miller, Fife Council, Convener, Children and Social Care, Association of Directors of Social Work;

and then, not before 11.30 am, from—

Robert Brown, Deputy Minister for Education and Young People;
Claire Monaghan, Head of Children and Families Division, Andrew Mott, Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Bill Manager, Moira Oliphant, Children and Families Division, Education Department, Scottish Executive and Liz Sadler, Police Division, Justice Department, Scottish Executive.

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection – Rt Rev Alan McDonald, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Executive Debate: Promotion of Tartan and Scotland’s Tartan Industry

followed by Debate on the Local Government Finance (Scotland) Order 2007—

S2M-5503 Mr Tom McCabe: The Local Government Finance (Scotland) Order 2007—That the Parliament agrees that the Local Government Finance (Scotland) Order 2007 be approved.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendment

S2M-5503.1 Derek Brownlee: The Local Government Finance (Scotland) Order 2007—As an amendment to motion (S2M-5503) in the name of Mr Tom McCabe, insert at end "but, in so doing, considers that the accountability of both the Scottish Executive and local authorities for their role in determining the level of the council tax, and the impact on services provided, would be strengthened by a more transparent budget process with a reduced level of "ring fencing" of grants to local authorities by the Executive."

followed by Business Motions—

S2M-5552 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees the following programme of business—

Wednesday 14 February 2007

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Stage 3 Proceedings: Budget (Scotland) (No.4) Bill

followed by Executive Debate: Taking the NHS Local

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 15 February 2007

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Solidarity Group Business

followed by Independent Group Business

11.40 am General Question Time

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Education, Tourism, Culture and Sport;
Finance and Public Services and Communities

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

2.55 pm Stage 3 Proceedings: Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Wednesday 21 February 2007

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Executive Business

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 22 February 2007

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party Business

11.40 am General Question Time

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Environment and Rural Development;
Health and Community Care

2.55 pm Executive Business

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

S2M-5553 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees that consideration of the Rights of Relatives to Damages (Mesothelioma) (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 be completed by 23 February 2007.

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions—

S2M-5554 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI—That the Parliament agrees that the draft Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exclusions and Exceptions) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007 be approved.

S2M-5555 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Membership of Committee—That the Parliament agrees that Malcolm Chisholm be appointed to replace Dr Elaine Murray on the Finance Committee.

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business:

Debate on the subject of—

S2M-5450 Karen Whitefield: Disabled Access to Shotts Railway Station—That the Parliament believes that all railway stations in Scotland should be fully accessible to people who have a disability; in particular, notes that the east-bound platform at Shotts railway station has no disabled access, which means that wheelchair users currently must use an alternative railway station, and considers that Transport Scotland should provide suitable disabled access to this station as a matter of urgency.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J