Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.84/2005: Tuesday 24 May 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Environment and Rural Development Committee
25 May 2005
15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 5

1. Water Environment and Water Services (Scotland) Act 2003: The Committee will consider the Water Environment and Water Services (Scotland) Act 2003: Annual Report to the Scottish Parliament – 2004, and take evidence from —

Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

2. Subordinate legislation: Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development, to move motion S2M-2748— That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that the draft Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

3. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue to consider its draft Stage 1 report on the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill and will receive an update from the Convener on European issues.

The Committee expects to take evidence on Phase 2 of its inquiry into rural development at its subsequent meetings in June. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
25 May 2005
17th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Family Law (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from the following witnesses—

Panel 1

Professor Eric Clive, School of Law, University of Edinburgh; and

Professor Paul Beaumont, School of Law, University of Aberdeen.

Panel 2

Michael Clancy, The Law Society of Scotland;

Morag Driscoll, The Law Society of Scotland;

John Fotheringham, The Law Society of Scotland; and

Anne McTaggart, Family Law Association.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 June, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence in relation to the Family Law (Scotland) Bill, from Gary Strachan, Alan Finlayson OBE and Hugh Henry MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice .

The Committee expects to consider the outcomes of its oral evidence sessions on the Family Law (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
25 May 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE849 The establishment of a sports academy in the Scottish Borders. Kayleigh Boyd will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Eilidh Hughes and Robbie Stoddart.

PE847 Public holidays to celebrate days of importance, such as Burns Day and St Andrew’s Day. Iain Scherr will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Samantha Mungall and Alexandra Gill.

PE857 To ensure the adequate provision of Gaelic language teachers.

PE856 Urgent upgrade of the A90 trunk road between Tipperty and Balmedie in Aberdeenshire in the interests of safety and the environment.

PE848 Introduction of legislation barring clergy from membership of the Freemasons.

PE854 Introduction of equitable public finance legislation in respect of all of Scotland’s harbours.

2. The Committee will consider the following petitions lodged by The New Party:

PE835 T o reduce income tax by three pence in the pound in order to stimulate the Scottish economy and to commission a study to examine the case for the introduction of a “flat Tax” structure.

PE843 I ntroduction of compulsory mediation for claims against the NHS in Scotland.

PE844 Le gislation to require local authorities to sell council houses that have remained empty for six months.

PE845 A review of planning guidelines concerning planning permission for housing developments.

PE846 E stablishment of a debt remedial service (DRS) to consolidate and manage problem debts.

PE851 T o extend corporate responsibility for the safe condition of public highways to the appropriate public authority and to require latest standards in major road repairs.

PE852 Funding of private medical insurance for all Scottish citizens.

3. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE535 Inquiry into past institutional child abuse. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner and the Scottish Information Commissioner.

PE695 Accessible local transport for disabled people. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE698 I ntroduction of a national policy for travelling showpeople . The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Communities.

PE717 Provision of adequate funding to allow organisations such as ISEA to continue their work. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE751 Inquiry into the procedures and practices of the Scottish Legal Aid Board. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Legal Aid Board and the Disability Rights Commission.

PE773 Legislation for provision to offer screening for Cardiomyopathy and other heart disorders. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Health and Community Care.

PE788 Legislation for the introduction of a national anthem for Scotland. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE800 Public inquiry into windfarm construction and moratorium on windfarm developments. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 June, the Committee will meet in Ayr. It is expected that the Committee will consider petitions calling for the upgrade of the Southern Section of the A77 between Ayr and Stranraer; a national policy in relation to the teaching of singing and provision of vocal tuition for young people in Scotland; the creation of a task force to integrate and develop Burns properties resulting in a National Burns Heritage Trail; and clear guidance for local authorities regarding the siting of telecommunication masts. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current petitions calling for review of the Scottish Executive’s culture and tourism policies regarding Robert Burns; and review of guidance to local authorities and planning procedures to safeguard the provision of playing fields and recreational open space.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee
25 May 2005
17th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private, and whether to take items at future meetings on its draft report on the Housing (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Fireworks (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/245).

3. Housing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Malcolm Chisholm MSP, Minister for Communities.

4. Housing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to its draft report on the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider its draft report for the Housing (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee
25 May 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Early Years Inquiry: The Committee will consider a summary of written evidence and plan its approach to the inquiry and to witness sessions.

2. Additional Support for Learning: The Committee will consider the Scottish Executive’s draft code of practice and take evidence from—

Euan Robson MSP, Deputy Minister for Education and Young People;

Mike Gibson, Head of Additional Support Needs Division;

Robin McKendrick, Team Leader, Additional Support for Learning; and

John Bissett, Team Leader, Additional Support Needs.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 June, the Committee plans to consider the subordinate legislation relating to the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 and will take further evidence in its pupil motivation inquiry. Further evidence for the pupil motivation inquiry will be taken at subsequent meetings. The Committee is conducting an inquiry into early years education and childcare and will take evidence later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
I