Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.73/2005: Monday 9 May 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
A
D
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Finance Committee

10 May 2005

13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 1

1. Efficient Government: The Committee will take evidence on the Executive’s Efficient Government Initiative from—

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;

Peter Russell, Head of Efficient Government Delivery Group, Scottish Executive;

Dr Peter Collings, Director of Performance Management and Finance, Health Department, Scottish Executive;

Nick Bowd, Director of Scottish Procurement, Scottish Executive; and

Ian Burdon, e-Procurement Scotland Programme Team, Scottish Executive.

2. Family Law (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Financial Memorandum from—

Carol Duncan, Family Law (Scotland) Bill Team Leader, Scottish Executive;

Alex Mowat, Family Law (Scotland) Bill Team, Scottish Executive; and

Moira Wilson, Family Law (Scotland) Bill Team Manager, Scottish Executive.

3. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill.

4. Housing (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Housing (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 May, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on Civil Service Reform as part of its monitoring of the Efficient Government initiative.

The Committee will continue to scrutinise the Efficient Government initiative and consider the Financial Memoranda of other Bills at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee

10 May 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 3

1. Sewel Convention: The Committee will take evidence from—

Margaret Curran MSP, Minister for Parliamentary Business, Murray Sinclair, Head of Constitution and Parliamentary Secretariat, and Paul Allen, Constitutional Policy Unit, Scottish Executive.

2. Admissibility of public petitions: The Committee will take evidence from—

Michael McMahon MSP, Convener of the Public Petitions Committee, and Jim Johnston, Clerk to the Committee.

3. Annual report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report for the Parliamentary year from 7 May 2004 to 6 May 2005.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 May, the Committee will consider its general approach to a number of the issues raised in the Sewel Convention inquiry and consider options for its next main inquiry. The Committee will also decide on a structure and timescale for a short inquiry on the procedures in relation to the re-appointment of crown appointees nominated by the Parliament and may further consider the admissibility of public petitions. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

10 May 2005

15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive on the delegated powers provisions in the following Bill—

Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/draft);

the Horse Passports (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/223); and

the Land Management Contracts (Menu Scheme) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/225).

4. Executive response: The Committee will consider a response to general questions raised on the implementation of EU directives in relation to the Plant Health (Import Inspection Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/216).

5. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/243);

the Fireworks (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/245); and

the Feed (Corn Gluten Feed and Brewers Grains) (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/246).

6. Annual report: The Committee will consider its draft annual report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 April, it is expected that the Committee will consider the Licensing (Scotland) and Housing (Scotland) Bills at Stage 1. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee

10 May 2005

11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Education (Student Fees Support) Temporary Protection (Scotland) Amendment Regulations (SSI 2005/217).

2. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will take evidence from—

Carol Craig, Chief Executive, Centre for Confidence and Well-being, Professor Sara Carter, Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, University of Strathclyde, and Agnes Samuel, Chief Executive, Glasgow Opportunities Enterprise Trust

on developing a business culture;

Pupils and staff of Berwickshire High School and All Saints RC High School Glasgow

on entrepreneurship in schools; and

Bill Fleming, Chair, Glasgow Opportunities Enterprise Trust

on innovation and risk-taking.

3. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will consider the criteria for selection of proposals for fact-finding visits.

4. Impact of broadcasting reviews: The Committee will consider a paper from the clerk.

5. Annual report: The Committee will consider its annual report for the parliamentary year 7 May 2004 to 6 May 2005.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 May, the Committee expects to take evidence from the Scottish Executive, Scottish Enterprise and Highlands and Islands Enterprise on its business growth inquiry. The Committee will also consider the Scottish Executive’s response to its 3rd report 2005 entitled "Restructuring Scotland’s Tourist Industry: Report on the Review of Area Tourist Boards". For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee

10 May 2005

9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 7 in private.

2. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent initiative: The Committee will take evidence from—

As a panel

Professor Robert Wright, The University of Stirling

Professor Joan Stringer, Universities Scotland

As a panel

Michael Cannon, Senior Director, International Operations, Scottish Enterprise

Charlie Woods, Chief Economist and Senior Director of Knowledge Management, Scottish Enterprise

Alex Paterson, Director of Developing Skills, Highlands and Islands Enterprise

Alastair Nicolson, Head of Strategic Research and Planning, Highlands and Islands Enterprise

3. Promoting Scotland worldwide: An inquiry into the external relations policy, strategy and activities of the Scottish Executive: The Committee will consider the response to its inquiry report from the Scottish Executive.

4. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Education, Youth and Culture Council, 23-24 May

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 23-24 May

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 30 May

Previous Councils

Environment Council, 10 March

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 14 March

ECOFIN Council, 12 April

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 14 April

Competitiveness (Internal Market, Industry and Research) Council, 18 April

5. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

6. Convener’s report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Monthly report from the Clerk/Chief Executive and the External Liaison Unit on the external relations activities of the Parliament;

Letter from Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development, concerning progress on the implementation of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive;

Letter from the Scottish Executive concerning matters arising from the Committee meeting of 12 April 2005.

7. Inquiry into Scotland’s preparations for and contributions to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005: The Committee will consider a further draft of its inquiry report.

Proposed future business

On 24 May, the Committee hopes to take evidence on the Fresh Talent Inquiry from the business sector organisations and from specific businesses.

At future meetings, the Committee will continue to take evidence on the Fresh Talent Inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee

10 May 2005

13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Rhona Brankin MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, to move the following motions—

S2M-2723— That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Medical treatment subject to safeguards) (Section 234) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved; and

S2M-2721— That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Medical treatment subject to safeguards) (Section 237) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Miscellaneous Food Additives Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/214);

the Smoke Flavourings (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/215); and

the Food Labelling Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/222

4. Infection with hepatitis C as a result of NHS Treatment: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Philip Dolan, Chairman, Scottish Haemophilia Forum;

Dave Bissett, Vice-Chairman, Scottish Haemophilia Forum;

Frank Maguire, Solicitor/Advocate, Thompsons Solicitors;

Graham Whitehead, Chief Executive, Haemophilia Society UK; and

Panel 2

Mr Andy Kerr MSP, Minister for Health and Community Care.

5. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider arrangements for its consideration of the Bill at Stage 2, including Roseanna Cunningham MSP to move motion S2M-2765—

That the Health Committee considers the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 in the following order: sections 9 to 36, schedules 2 and 3, sections 1 to 5, schedule 1, sections 6 to 8, section 37 and the long title.

6. Post-legislative scrutiny: The Committee will consider its approach to its inquiry into the implementation of the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 and the Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002.

Proposed future business

The Committee will consider the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at its next meeting. It is anticipated that the Committee will continue its Stage 2 consideration at future meetings until mid-June. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

10 May 2005

15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Surbordinate legislation: Cathy Jamieson MSP, Minister for Justice to move the following motion–

S2M-2722 That the Justice 2 Committee recommends that the draft Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 (Relevant Premises) Regulations 2005 be approved.

2. Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill from—

Cathy Jamieson MSP, Minister for Justice

Andrew Brown, Bill Team Leader, Reducing Reoffending Division;

George Burgess, Head of Criminal Justice Projects Division;

Brian Cole, Head of Branch 1, Community Justice Services Division; and Sharon Grant, Head of Branch 2, Community Justice Services Division.

3. Licensing (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on Youth justice.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee

10 May 2005

16th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Police Pensions Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/200)

2. Transport (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 3).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 17 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue consideration of the Licensing (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee

11 May 2005

15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Housing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Nick Fletcher, Policy & Public Affairs Officer, Chartered Institute of Housing in Scotland.

Panel 2

Richard Hamer, Director, Ownership Options in Scotland;

Lynn Welsh, Head of Scottish Legal Affairs, Disability Rights Commission;

Megan Wilson, Principal Officer: Service Development, Sense Scotland, representative of Disability Agenda Scotland;

Grant Carson, Manager, Accessible Housing Solutions.

Panel 3

John Blackwood, Director, Scottish Association of Landlords;

Mike Stimpson, Chair, National Federation of Residential Landlords;

Eleanor Clark, HomePoint Co-ordinator, Communities Scotland ;

Alasdair Seale, Vice President, Property Managers Association Scotland Ltd.

Panel 4

Andrew Bradford, Leader of the Planning, Housing and Infrastructure Group Scottish Rural Property and Business Association (SRPBA);

Andrew Bruce Wootton, Deputy Chairman, Scottish Estates Business Group (SEBG).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 18 May, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Housing (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

11 May 2005

13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 4

1. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Amanda Chisholm, Strategic Environmental Assessment Team Leader, Historic Scotland;

Dr Bill Band, National Strategy Manager, Scottish Natural Heritage; and

Neil Deasley, Principal Policy Officer, Scottish Environment Protection Agency.

2. Annual report: The Committee will consider its draft annual report for the parliamentary year 7 May 2004 to 6 May 2005.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments

the Plant Health (Import Inspection Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/216);

the Production of Bovine Collagen Intended for Human Consumption in the United Kingdom (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/218);

the Horse Passports (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/223); and

the Land Management Contracts (Menu Scheme) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/225).

4. Inquiry into rural development (in private): The Committee will consider options for proceeding with its inquiry.

5. Inquiry into climate change (in private): The Committee will consider a further draft report.

Proposed future business

The Committee will complete its evidence taking on the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill at its next meeting scheduled for 18 May by taking evidence from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development and the Minister for Communities. At its subsequent meeting on 25 May the Committee will take evidence from the Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development on the Water Environment and Water Services (Scotland) Act 2003 Annual Report to the Parliament 2004 and will consider the draft Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2005. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee

11 May 2005

14th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 6

1. Family Law (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Dr Alison Elliot, Moderator, General Assembly of the Church of Scotland;

John Deighan, Parliamentary Officer, Roman Catholic Church;

Major Alan Dixon, Salvation Army Scotland; and

Reverend Alan Paterson, United Reformed Church,

Panel 2

Dr Gordon MacDonald, CARE for Scotland;

Vanessa Taylor, Policy and Equalities Officer, Scottish Inter-Faith Council;

Dianna Wolfson, Scottish Inter-Faith Council; and

Ephraim Borowski, Director, Scottish Council for Jewish Communities,

Panel 3

Maureen Lynch, Policy Consultant, Family Mediation Scotland; and

Carol Barrett, Director, Family Mediation Lothian,

Panel 4

Tim Hopkins, Legislation and Policy Worker, Equality Network.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 18 May, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence in relation to the Family Law (Scotland) Bill from Children in Scotland, Children 1st, Families Need Fathers, Grandparents Apart Self-Help Group, Stepfamily Scotland and Scottish Women’s Aid.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Family Law (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

11 May 2005

8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE840 Scottish Executive policy in relation to traffic calming measures. Judith McCrorie will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by James Page.

PE841 Amendment to the Fatal Accident and Sudden Deaths Inquiry (Scotland) Act 1976. Mr Pat Curran and Mrs Sandra Curran will make a brief statement in support of their petition accompanied by Margaret Dekker.

PE836 Review of the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 in relation to compensation for injured people. Ronald Conway will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Pat Clark.

PE837 Fitting of small-scale energy generation equipment into all buildings in Scotland by the year 2020.

PE838 Review of Scottish Executive policy in relation to roads design standards and their publication and application across Scotland.

PE842 To review the use of chloramine disinfectant in the treatment of drinking water.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE497 Legislation to alleviate the nuisance caused by high hedges. The committee will consider a response from Scott Barrie MSP.

PE639 Storage and dispensing of NHS prescribed drugs in schools. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Patients Association; Educational Institute for Scotland and the Association for Head Teachers in Scotland.

PE766 Recovery of tax arrears in the Sheriff Court. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive; CBI Scotland; Inland Revenue; and the Federation of Small Businesses in Scotland.

PE703 Review of Historic Scotland. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE715 & PE777 Funding for Scottish Opera. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, Scottish Opera and BECTU Scotland.

PE754 Review of Local Government Finance. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE786 Installation of thermostatic mixing valves in the hot water systems of all new-build and renovated properties. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Communities; the Scottish Building Standards Agency; Scottish & Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers Federation; and the Thermostatic Mixing Valve Manufacturers Association.

PE571 Implementation of Complementary Alternative Medicine by Health Boards in Scotland. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

3. Public Petitions Committee Equalities Report: The Committee will consider a paper by the clerk.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the establishment of a sports academy in the Scottish borders; public holidays to celebrate days of importance; protection of ancient woodland; clergy in the Freemasons; upgrade of the A90; and various new petitions by the New Party. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current petitions on mental health services for deaf and deaf blind people; a national policy for travelling show people; the Scottish Legal Aid Board; Cardiomyopathy; Institutional child abuse; a Scottish national anthem; windfarm construction and accessible transport.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
A
D
I