Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.61/2005: Wednesday 20 April 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
C
D

Section A – Today’s Business

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee

12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Education Committee

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 9 in private.

2. Visit to SMART Young People Project: The Committee will note a report as part of its pupil motivation inquiry.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland (Appointment of President, Conveners and Members and Disqualification) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/155) under negative procedure and take evidence from—

Robin McKendrick, Team Leader, Additional Support for Learning, Scottish Executive; and

Andrew Mott, Policy Officer, Additional Support for Learning, Scottish Executive.

4. Child protection: The Committee will be updated on the Scottish Executive’s child protection reform programme.

5. Disclosures: The Committee will be briefed on Disclosures and take evidence from—

John Harris, Central Registered Body in Scotland.

6. School transport: The Committee will consider responses from local authorities regarding school transport policy.

7. Annual report: The Committee will consider its draft annual report.

8. Expenditure on education: The Committee will note the means by which information on local government expenditure on education can be made available to the Committee.

9. Appointment of an adviser: The Committee will consider the appointment of an adviser for its early years inquiry.

Justice 1 Committee

11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Correspondence on Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Hugh Henry MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice;

Hugh Dignon, Criminal Justice Division, Scottish Executive;

Kirsten Davidson, Criminal Justice Division, Scottish Executive; and

Paul Johnston, Legal and Parliamentary Services Solicitors, Scottish Executive.

3. Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Solicitors and Witnesses in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment) 2005, (SSI 2005/149); and

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Shorthand Writers in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment) 2005, (SSI 2005/150).

5. Family Law (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider written evidence received in relation to the Bill.

Public Petitions Committee

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE827 The Parliament’s Code of Conduct regarding MSPs’ commitment of working time to parliamentary duties. Hugh O’Donnell will make a short statement in support of his petition.

PE833 Local government boundaries as set out in the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994. David Jack will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE834 Consideration of health issues when considering planning applications for the siting of mobile telephone masts.

PE830 Review of National Planning Policy Guideline NPPG19 regarding health issues.

PE816 Compensation for property values affected by windfarm developments.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE573 Adults with incapacity. The Committee will consider a further response from the Minister for Health and Community Care.

PE768 Agenda for Change – Speech and Language Therapy. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care, the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapy and Amicus.

PE675 Conditions at HM Prison, Peterhead. The Committee will consider a response from the Petitioner.

PE733 Egg stamping. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Egg Producers Retail Association; National Farmers Union Scotland; British Egg Industry Council; British Free Range Egg Producers Association and Dundee University.

PE801 Cramond and National Heritage Committee. The Committee will consider responses from Historic Scotland, Scottish Natural Heritage and the City of Edinburgh Council.

PE558 Elgin Bypass. The Committee will consider responses from the Petitioner and Margaret Ewing MSP.

PE807 Influence of supermarkets on the food chain. The Committee will consider a letter from the petitioner and a report from the Office of Fair Trading.

3. Proposed Petitions: The Committee will consider the admissibility of a proposed petition.

4. eEurope Awards for eGovernment Good Practice 2005: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Professor Colin T Reid, Professor of Environmental Law, University of Dundee;

Dr Elsa Joao, Director of Research, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, University of Strathclyde;

David Tyldesley, Principal, David Tyldesley and Associates;

Panel 2

Councillor Alison Hay, Environment, Sustainability and Community Safety Spokesperson, COSLA;

John Rennilson, Director of Planning and Development, Highland Council, COSLA;

Kathy Cameron, Policy Manager, COSLA; and

Iain Sherriff, Head of Transportation, Dundee City Council, representing the Society of Chief Officers of Transportation in Scotland.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Agricultural Subsidies (Appeals) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/117);

the Inshore Fishing (Prohibition of Fishing for Cockles) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2005, (SSI 2005/140); and

the Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/143);

and may take evidence from the following Scottish Executive officials on SSI 2005/143—

Linda Rosborough, Head of CAP Management Division, SEERAD;

John Brunton, CAP Reform Implementation Branch, SEERAD; and

Paul Neison, Assistant Chief Agricultural Officer, SEERAD.

3. Inquiry into climate change (in private): The Committee will consider a further draft report.

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection - Imam Habib Ur Rahman Rauf, Central Mosque, Glasgow

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions—

S2M-2716 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill—That the Parliament agrees that, during Stage 3 of the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill, debate on groups of amendments shall, subject to Rule 9.8.4A, be brought to a conclusion by the time-limits indicated (each time limit being calculated from when the Stage begins and excluding any periods when other business is under consideration or when the meeting of the Parliament is suspended or otherwise not in progress):

Groups 1 and 2 – 1 hour and 10 minutes

Group 3 – 1 hour and 20 minutes

Groups 4 to 7 – 1 hour and 45 minutes

followed by Stage 3 Proceedings: Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill—

S2M-2666 Mr Jim Wallace: Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill—That the Parliament agrees that the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill be passed.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendment

S2M-2666.1 Fiona Hyslop: Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill—As an amendment to motion (S2M-2666) in the name of Mr Jim Wallace, insert at end "but, in so doing, regrets the creation of a legislative framework for imposing variable top-up fees in Scotland’s tertiary education system."

followed by Business Motion—

S2M-2713 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees—

(a) the following programme of business—

Wednesday 27 April 2005

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Executive Debate: Financial Services Strategy

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 28 April 2005

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Stage 1 Debate: Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill

followed by Financial Resolution: Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill

11.40 am General Question Time

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Environment and Rural Development;

Health and Community Care

2.55 pm Executive Debate: Criminal Justice Plan and Surrounding Issues

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Wednesday 4 May 2005

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

2.35 pm General Question Time

2.55 pm First Minister’s Question Time

3.25 pm Themed Question Time—

Justice and Law Officers;

Enterprise, Lifelong Learning and Transport

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

4.05 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

(b) that the period for members to lodge questions for First Minister’s Question Time on 4 May 2005 should end at 2.00 pm on Friday 29 April 2005, and

(c) that the period for members to lodge questions for First Minister’s Question Time on 2 June 2005 should end at 5.00 pm on Thursday 26 May 2005.

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business:

Debate on the subject of—

S2M-2376 Mr John Swinney: Boundaries of the Cairngorms National Park—That the Parliament notes that the current boundaries of the Cairngorm National Park differ from those originally recommended by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) following extensive consultation on behalf of the Scottish Executive; notes that, as a result of these boundaries, large parts of Highland Perthshire and East Perthshire are excluded from the national park; recognises the strength of support within these areas for participation and involvement in the national park; considers that the case for designation of the Cairngorms as a World Heritage Site would be strengthened by the inclusion of the Perthshire area in the park, and considers that the Executive should conduct an early review of the boundaries of the national park and extend the current boundary to that originally proposed by SNH.



An
C
D