Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.47/2005: Friday 18 March 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

A
D
I


Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee

21 March 2005

5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Scottish Mining Museum, Newtongrange

1. Oral evidence on the adequacy of accompanying documents: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Ron Street

Berend Meijer

Dr David Wyllie

Robin Bull

George Baillie

Panel 2

Mr Iain Rennick, Area Manager, Forth and Borders, Scottish Natural Heritage

Mr Steve Hunt, Area Officer, Borders, Scottish Natural Heritage

David Campbell, Team Leader - Edinburgh, Scottish Environment Protection Agency

Angela Foss, SEPO - Galashiels Team, Scottish Environment Protection Agency

Panel 3

Lily Linge, Head of Heritage Planning, Historic Scotland

Panel 4

Ashley Parry Jones, Referencing Manager, LandAspects

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co

David Fish, Principal Surveyor and Quality Manager, LandAspects

John Gannon, Director, TerraQuest Solutions plc

Panel 5

Bruce Rutherford, Head of Asset Management, Scottish Borders Council

Andrew Rosher, Principal Consultant, Turner and Townsend

Douglas Muir, Specialist Services Manager, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council

David Southern, Director, Harrison Cowley

Panel 6

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co

Ashley Parry Jones, Referencing Manager, LandAspects

Andrew McCracken, Associate, Scott Wilson Railways

Panel 7

Stephen Purnell, Senior Associate Partner, ERM

Stephen Mitchell, Principal Consultant, ERM

Sam Oxley, Senior Consultant, ERM

Andrew Coates, Principal Consultant, ERM

Roger Doubal, Technical Director, Scott Wilson Scotland

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

22 March 2005

10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jane Ryder, Chief Executive, Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the following Bill—

Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/112);

the Criminal Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/113);

the Community Care (Direct Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/114);

the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/116);

the National Health Service (Service Committees and Tribunal) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/118);

the NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (Establishment of the Scottish Health Council) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/120);

the National Health Service (General Ophthalmic Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/128);

the Intensive Support and Monitoring (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/129);

the Antisocial Behaviour (Fixed Penalty Notice) (Additional Information) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/130); and

the Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/143).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Home Energy Efficiency Scheme Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/144);

Act of Sederunt (fees of Solicitors and Witnesses in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment) 2005, (SSI 2005/149);

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Shorthand Writers in the Sheriff Court) (Amendment) 2005, (SSI 2005/150);

the Pensions Appeal Tribunals (Scotland) (Amendment) Rules 2005, (SSI 2005/152);

the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Prescribed Police Stations) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulation 2005; and

the Additional Support Needs Tribunal for Scotland (Appointment of President, Conveners and Members and Disqualification) Regulations 2005.

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment No.2) (Fees of Solicitors) 2005, (SSI 2005/147);

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment No.3) (Fees of Shorthand Writers) 2005, (SSI 2005/148);

the Gender Recognition (Prescription of Particulars to be Registered) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/151);

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment No.4) (Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005) 2005, (SSI 2005/153); and

The Education (Additional Support for Learning) Scotland Act 2004 (Commencement No.1) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/154).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland. For further details, please contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee

22 March 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. National Galleries (in private): The Committee will consider an issues paper on its inquiry into the section 22 report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "The 2003/04 Audit of the National Galleries of Scotland".

2. NHS Financial Performance Overview (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "Overview of the Financial Performance of the NHS in Scotland" (AGS/2004/12).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 19 April, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the section 22 report entitled "The 2003/04 Audit of the National Galleries".

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards Committee

22 March 2005

3rd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.15 am in Committee Room 3

1. Cross-Party Group on Strategic Railway Services: The Committee will consider a request from the Convener of the Cross-Party Group on Strategic Railway Services to revise the remit of the Group.

2. Complaints process: The Committee will take evidence from—

Dr Jim Dyer OBE, the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to continue its review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs at subsequent meetings and to continue its work on replacing the Members’ Interests Order. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee

22 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Scotland’s contribution to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005: The Committee will take evidence from—

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform

Ian Walford, Civil Contingencies Division, Scottish Executive

Tim Simons, Europe Division, Scottish Executive

Jane McCloskey, Europe Division, Scottish Executive

G8 Summit - Via Videolink at 3.15pm

Hilary Benn MP, Secretary of State for International Development

2. The European Union Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform

Alastair Wilson, Europe Division, Scottish Executive

Lynda Towers, Deputy Solicitor, Legal and Parliamentary Services, Scottish Executive

3. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

4. Transposition and implementation of EU legislation in Scotland: The Committee will consider an update from the Scottish Executive.

5. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Response from the Scottish Executive to the Committee’s letter on the dispute between SEPA and Scottish Power on the burning of sewage sludge pellets as fuel at Longannet Power Station

Letter from Patricia Ferguson MSP, Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport, on the allocation of the International Development Fund.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on Scotland’s contribution to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005 and the Terms of Reference for its inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent initiative.

The Committee expects to take evidence on its Fresh Talent initiative inquiry at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee

22 March 2005

9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 7 and 8 in private.

2. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Health and Community Care.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Regulation of Care (Excepted Services) (Scotland) Regulations 2002 Partial Revocation Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/96);

the Regulation of Care (Fees) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/97); and

the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 (Transitional Provisions) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/98).

and will take evidence from—

Shaun Eales, Delivery of Care Services Branch, Scottish Executive Health Department; and

Linda Gregson, Care Standards and Sponsorship Branch, Scottish Executive Health Department.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the National Health Service (General Dental Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/95)

and will take evidence from—

Dr Hamish Wilson, Head of Primary Care Division, Scottish Executive Health Department.

5. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Plastic Materials and Articles in Contact with Food Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/92); and

the Colours in Food Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/94).

and will take evidence from—

Steve Hardie, General Food Hygiene and Temperature Control, Food Standards Agency; and

Will Munro, Chemical Contaminants, Additives and Food Contact Materials, Food Standards Agency.

6. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the National Health Service (Optical Charges and Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/119);

the National Health Service (Dental Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/121);

the Road Traffic (NHS Charges) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/123); and

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/124).

7. Smoking Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session.

8. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

Proposed future business

The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report on the general principles of the Smoking Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at its meeting on 12 April and a revised draft on 19 April.

The Committee will next consider petitions at its meeting on 26 April, including taking oral evidence from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee

22 March 2005

11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether or not to take items 4 and 5 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Representation of the People (Variation of Liits of Candidates’ Local Government Election Expenses) (Scotland) Order, (SSI 2005/102).

3. Licensing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Rab Fleming, Head of Division, Local Governance and Licensing Division, Scottish Executive;

Jacqueline Conlan, Bill Team Leader, Licensing (Scotland) Bill, Scottish Executive;

Iain Fairweather, Bill Team, Licensing (Scotland) Bill, Scottish Executive; and

John St Clair, Office of the Solicitor, Scottish Executive

Panel 2

Sheriff Principal Gordon Nicholson, QC, Chair of the Nicholson Committee on the Review of Liquor Licensing Law in Scotland

Panel 3

Peter Daniels, Chairman of the Working Group on Off-sales in the Community; and

Superintendent George Clelland, Strathclyde Police, Member of the Working Group on Off-sales in the Community.

4. Trunk Road Maintenance Contracts: The Committee will consider the possible contents of a letter to the Minister.

5. Licensing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider lines of questioning for future meetings.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take oral evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. The Committee will also be considering the Transport (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

22 March 2005

9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.45 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Licensing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Councillor Gordon Macdiarmid JP, Convener, Glasgow Licensing Board.

2. Proposed Civil Appeals (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on a statement of reasons for not consulting on the draft proposal from—

Adam Ingram MSP; and

Claire Menzies Smith, Non-Executive Bills Unit.

3. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Criminal Legal Aid (Fixed Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/93)

The Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/111).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, the Committee expects to take evidence jointly with the Justice 1 Committee from the Minister for Justice on the justice priority for the UK Presidency and other matters. Justice 2 Committee will then start its evidence-taking on the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill and will consider written evidence in future meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



A
D
I