Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.42/2005: Friday 11 March 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
A
D
I


Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee

14 March 2005

4th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Langlee Community Centre, Galashiels

1. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Ron Street

Graeme Sandie

George Baillie

Panel 2

Peter Fuller, Scotland Planning Manager, Strategic Rail Authority

Stephen Bennet, Sponsor, National Programmes, Strategic Rail Authority

Panel 3

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport, Scottish Executive

Damian Sharp, Public Transport Major Infrastructure Team, Scottish Executive

Panel 4

Dr Mark B Brown, Executive Director, Consulting, Halcrow

David Williamson, Head of Planning, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council

Lesley Martin, Assistant Head of Planning and Implementation, Scottish Borders Council

Keith Wallace, Director of Projects, Scott Wilson Railways

Panel 5

Dr Mark B Brown, Executive Director, Consulting, Halcrow

Keith Wallace, Director of Projects, Scott Wilson Railways

Panel 6

David Fox, Director, Turner Townsend

Andrew McCracken, Associate, Scott Wilson Railways

Douglas Muir, Specialist Services Manager, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council

Bruce Rutherford, Head of Asset Management, Scottish Borders Council

Dr Mark B Brown, Executive Director, Consulting, Halcrow.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee

15 March 2005

5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Reporters: The Committee will choose a new reporter on age issues.

3. Petition PE522: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Minister for Health & Community Care in relation to petition PE522 from Ms Carol Main on the provision of care homes for young physically disabled people.

4. Inquiry into Gypsy/Travellers and Public Sector Policies – Review of progress: The Committee will consider its approach.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on Inquiry into Gypsy/Travellers and Public Sector Policies – Review of progress.

The Committee will also continue its inquiry into Disability. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Procedures Committee

15 March 2005

4th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 1

1. Sewel Convention: The Committee will take evidence from—

Alasdair Morgan MSP, former Convener of the Enterprise and Culture Committee; and

Pauline McNeill MSP, Convener of the Justice 1 Committee,

and then from—

Mr Pete Wishart MP, on behalf of the Scottish National Party; and

Alistair Carmichael MP, on behalf of the Liberal Democrats.

2. Private legislation: The Committee will consider—

a report by Parliament and Executive officials;

a referral from the Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee;

a referral from the Finance Committee; and

a suggestion by the Convener,

with a view to recommending a statutory model for handling private legislation, together with changes to the current Rule-based system for Private Bills.

3. Admissibility of public petitions: The Committee will give initial consideration to the Public Petitions Committee’s request for changes to standing orders to prohibit petitions lodged by MSPs and the re-submission of petitions closed less than a year previously.

4. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider a draft report on private legislation in private at its next meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, the Committee will take further evidence on the Sewel Convention Inquiry from the Minister for Parliamentary Business and from a number of other MSPs. The Committee will also consider a draft report on its Private Bills Inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Finance Committee

15 March 2005

9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Financial Memoranda: The Committee will consider its approaches to the scrutiny of the Financial Memoranda for the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill and the Housing (Scotland) Bill.

2. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report on the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill and a briefing paper on the Financial Memorandum.

3. Infrastructure Investment Plan (in private): The Committee will consider a briefing paper on the Executive’s Infrastructure Investment Plan.

4. Cross-cutting review on Economic Development (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on its cross-cutting review on economic development.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on Financial Memoranda; and look at technical notes on Efficient Government, if they have been published.

The Committee expects to take evidence on various Bills at subsequent meetings. The Committee will also carry out an inquiry into Deprivation later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

15 March 2005

9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Inquiry into the Regulatory Framework in Scotland: The Committee will take evidence from—

Martin Reid, Business Manager, Food Standards Agency Scotland;

Sandy McDougall, Branch Head, Food Standards Agency Scotland;

Dave Gorman, Operations Coordinator, Scottish Environment Protection Agency;

Janice Milne, Environmental Development Manager, Scottish Environment Protection Agency.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive on the delegated powers provisions in the following Bill—

Family Law (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Sea Fishing (Restriction on Days at Sea) (Scotland) Order, (SSI 2005/90);

the Plastic Materials and Articles in Contact with Food Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/92);

the Criminal Legal Aid (Fixed Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/93); and

the Colours in Food Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/94).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Antisocial Behaviour (Amount of Fixed Penalty) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/110);

the Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/111);

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/112);

the Criminal Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/113);

the Community Care (Direct Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/114);

the NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (Amendment) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/115);

the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/116);

the Agricultural Subsidies (Appeals) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/117);

the National Health Service (Service Committees and Tribunal) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/118)

the National Health Service (Optical Charges and Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/119);

the NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (Establishment of the Scottish Health Council) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/120);

the National Health Service (Dental Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/121);

the Dissolution of Local Health Councils (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/122);

the Road Traffic (NHS Charges) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/123);

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/124);

the Gender Recognition (Disclosure of Information) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/125);

the National Health Service (General Opthalmic Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/128);

the Intensive Support and Monitoring (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/129);

the Antisocial Behaviour (Fixed Penalty Notice) (Additional Information) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/130);

the Inshore Fishing (Prohibition of Fishing for Cockles) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2005, (SSI 2005/140);

the Bail Conditions (Specification of Devices) and Restriction of Liberty Order (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/142); and

the Common Agricultural Policy Single Farm Payment and Support Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2005(SSI 2005/143).

5. Instruments not subject to Parliamentary procedure: The Committee will consider the following—

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.12) (Scotland) Order 2004 Revocation Order 2005, (SSI 2005/136)

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (Scotland) Revocation Order 2005, (SSI 2005/137).

6. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment) (Jurisdiction, Recognition and Enforcement of Judgements) 2005, (SSI 2005/135).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 March, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland. For further details, please contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee

15 March 2005

5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 1.15 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill: The Committee will consider a paper on the grouping of objections for Consideration Stage.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee

15 March 2005

8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. National Lottery distributors: The Committee will take evidence from—

Dharmendra Kanani, Director for Scotland and Jackie Killeen, Head of Policy and Development, the Big Lottery Fund;

Colin McLean, Scottish Manager and Joshua Peck, Head of Public Affairs, the Heritage Lottery Fund;

on the current role and future development of the main National Lottery fund distributors in Scotland.

2. Business in the Parliament 2005: The Committee will consider a paper outlining progress to date on arrangements for the Business in the Parliament 2005 conference.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 12 April, the Committee expects to begin taking evidence on its Business Growth Inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee

15 March 2005

5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Scotland’s contribution to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005: The Committee will take evidence from—

G8 Summit

Patricia Ferguson MSP, Minister for Tourism Culture and Sport

John Henderson, Head of International Division;

Rachel Gwyon, Head of G8 International Development in Africa Division

Susan Lilley, International Development Unit;

Finance and Central Services Department;

UK Presidency of the EU

Professor Drew Scott, University of Edinburgh;

UK Presidency of the EU

Kenneth Munro, Chairman, The European Movement (Scottish Council)

John Edward, Head of the European Parliament Office in Scotland.

2. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Environment Council, 10 March

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 14 March

Previous Councils

Environment Council, 20 December

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 31 January – 1 February

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 21 February

ECOFIN Council, 17 February

Education, Youth and Culture Council, 21 February.

3. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Monthly report from the Clerk/Chief Executive and the External Liaison Unit on the external relations activities in the Parliament.

Arrangements for the visit of the European Parliament’s Regional Development Committee.

Letter from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development, Ross Finnie MSP, concerning progress on the implementation of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence from Tom McCabe, MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform, and by video link, Hilary Benn, MP, the Secretary of State for International Development on the G8 and UK Presidency inquiry.

The Committee expects to consider a draft report of the G8 and UK Presidency inquiry at subsequent meetings. The Committee is also planning to carry out a inquiry into the Fresh Talent Initiative later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee

15 March 2005

8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 4 and 5 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Poultry Meat, Farmed Game Bird Meat and Rabbit Meat (Hygiene and Inspection) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/81);

the National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/82);

the National Assistance (Sums for Personal Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/84); and

the Health Boards (Membership and Procedure) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/108).

3. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Part 1 Prohibition of smoking in certain wholly enclosed places

Panel 1

Paul Waterson, Chief Executive, Scottish Licensed Trade Association

Stewart Ross, Chief Executive, Belhaven Brewery, Scottish Licensed Trade Association

Christopher Ogden, Director of Trade and Industry Affairs, Tobacco Manufacturers’ Association

Steven Stotesbury, Senior Scientist, Imperial Tobacco, Tobacco Manufacturers’ Association

Ian McAlpine, Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation, Committee of Registered Clubs Associations

George Ross, Royal British Legion Clubs, Committee of Registered Clubs Associations;

Panel 2

Paddy Crerar, Chairman, British Hospitality Association Scottish Committee

Panel 3

Alan McKeown, Health and Social Care Team Leader, CoSLA

Gordon Greenhill, Environmental Health Manager, Regulatory Services Department, City of Edinburgh Council

Kevin McNamara, President, Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland

David Mellor, Deputy Chief Constable, Association of Chief Police Officers

Panel 4

Dr Rachel Harrison, Senior Policy and Research Officer, ASH Scotland

Sheila Duffy, Head of Information and Communications, ASH Scotland; and

Panel 5

Andy Matson, Regional Officer, AMICUS

Ian Tasker, Assistant Secretary, STUC

Dave Watson, Head of Policy and Information, UNISON Scotland.

4. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session.

5. Access to Dental Health Services in Scotland: The Committee will consider its proposed debate.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 March, the Health Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Health and Community Care as part of its Stage 1 consideration of the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill. The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report on the general principles of the Bill at its meeting on 12 April and a revised draft on 19 April.

The Committee will next consider petitions at its meeting on 26 April, including taking oral evidence from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

15 March 2005

8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill at Stage 1.

2. Youth Justice Inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 March, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill and consider Adam Ingram MSP’s proposed Civil Appeals (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee

15 March 2005

10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether or not to take item 7 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, to move motion S2M-2561—

that the Non-Domestic Rating (Valuation of Utilities) (Scotland) Revocation Order 2005, (draft) be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorces (Fees) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/100);

The Non-Domestic Rating (Rural Areas and Rateable Value Limits) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/103);

The Non-Domestic Rating (Former Agricultural Premises) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/103);

The Valuation (Stud Farms) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/105);

The Non-Domestic Rates (Levying) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/126);

The Non-Domestic Rating (Valuation of Utilities) (Scotland) Revocation Order 2005, (SSI 2005/127).

4. Trunk Roads Maintenance Contracts: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Joe Burns, Service Director for Strategic Highways in Scotland, AMEY;

Jim Gilmour, Liaison Manager, AMEY;

Alan Mackenzie, Chief Executive, BEAR Scotland; and

Bill Taylor, Operations Director, BEAR Scotland

Panel 2

Tom Walker, Head of Roads and Fleet Management, Scottish Borders Council; and

Jim Valentine, Head of Roads, Perth and Kinross Council, SCOTS

Panel 3

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport;

Jim Barton, Head of Division, Trunk Roads Network Management Division, Scottish Executive;

John Howison, Head of Division, Trunk Roads Design and Construction Division, Scottish Executive; and

John Gooday, National Network Manager for North West Unit, Trunk Roads Network Management Division, Scottish Executive.

5. Tendering of Ferry Services in the Clyde and Hebrides: The Committee will take evidence from—

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport;

David Hart, Head of Division, Transport Division 4, Scottish Executive;

Alan McPherson, Branch 1, Ferry Operators and Piers and Harbours Grants, Scottish Executive;

Graham Laidlaw, Branch 2, Maritime State Aids Unit, Scottish Executive;

Joanne Patterson, Branch 2, Maritime State Aids Unit, Scottish Executive; and

Jim Logie, Office of the Solicitor, Scottish Executive.

6. Trunk Roads Maintenance Contracts: The Committee will consider its approach to further consideration of the issue.

7. Licensing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will reconsider arrangements for its consideration of the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 March, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Licensing (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

16 March 2005

5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE824 Culture and tourism policies regarding Robert Burns. Peter Watson, Chair, Alloway & Doonfoot Community Council will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Allan Paterson and Brian Woods.

PE826 NHS services in rural areas.

PE825 Lockers for school pupils’ use.

PE823 Legislation requiring hotels to fit flame-retardant curtains.

PE822 Support for people with learning disabilities. Beatrice Gallie will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Kenneth MacLennan and Jenny Fullarton.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE482 Scottish Police Federation. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Justice.

PE500 Scottish Bus Group Pension Scheme. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE528 Glasgow Airport Parking. The Committee will consider a response from BAA.

PE535 Past Institutional Child Abuse. The Committee will consider a response from the Catholic Church.

PE741 Govan Community. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Communities, the Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow and the Govan Initiative.

PE749 Ensuring the spreading of sewage sludge is subject to planning control. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Sanquhar and District Community Council, David Mundell MSP and the petitioner.

PE712 Appropriate legal protection for greenbelt land.

PE724 Review of Executive policy on green belt sites. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE781 William Wallace 700 Year Anniversary. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport; the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service; Professor Edward J Cowan, Professor of Scottish History, University of Glasgow and the petitioner.

PE807 Supermarkets and the food chain. The Committee will consider a report from the Office of Fair Trading and a letter from the petitioner.

3. Proposed Petition: The Committee will consider the admissibility of a proposed petition.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20th April, it is expected that the Committee will consider petitions on the election of Mordechai Vanunu as Rector of Glasgow University; compensation for property values affected by windfarm developments; the composition of the Justice Committees; Elgin bypass; conditions at HM Prison, Peterhead; adequate funding for ISEA; the equine industry in Scotland; egg stamping; an inquiry into windfarm construction and a moratorium on windfarm developments; and Cramond and a National Heritage Committee.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
A
D
I