BB Home

B : Business Programme
C : Agendas of Committee Meetings
E : Written Questions lodged
F : Motions and Amendments
G : Bills
H : New Documents
K : Progress of Parliamentary Business

Business Bulletin No. 170/2004

Monday 22 November 2004

Section C : Agendas of Committee Meetings

  

Audit Committee

23 November 2004

21st Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 2 and 6 in private.

2. Commissioning Community Care Services for Older People and Management of Community Equipment: The Committee will consider lines of questioning for the witnesses at agenda item 5.

3. Maintaining Scotland’s roads: The Committee will consider a draft letter from the Clerk to the Accountable Officer on the report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "Maintaining Scotland’s roads" (AGS/2004/11).

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000 (Economy, efficiency and effectiveness examinations) (Specified bodies etc.) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/482).

5. Commissioning Community Care Services for Older People and Management of Community Equipment: The Committee will take evidence from—

Mr  Ian Gordon, Accountable Officer and Head of the Scottish Executive Health Department and Chief Executive of NHSScotland (Acting); Dr Peter Collings, Director of Performance Management and Finance, Scottish Executive Health Department; and Ms Fiona March, Policy Officer, Community Care Division, Scottish Executive.

6. Commissioning Community Care Services for Older People and Management of Community Equipment: The Committee will consider the evidence taken at agenda item 5 on the reports by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "Commissioning Community Care Services for Older People" (AGS/2004/8) and "Adapting to the future: management of community equipment and adaptations" (AGS/2004/9).

Finance Committee

23 November 2004

30th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Cross Cutting Review on Economic Development: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jim Mackinnon, Chief Planner, Development Department; Jane Morgan, Head of Enterprise Networks Division, Enterprise, Transport and Lifelong Learning Department; Dr Andrew Goudie, Head of Finance and Central Services Department and Chief Economic Adviser to the First Minister; Fiona Robertson, Senior Economic Adviser and Head of the Office of the Chief Economic Adviser; and David Stewart, Assistant Director, Finance Expenditure Policy Division, Finance and Central Services Department, Scottish Executive.

3. Transport (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill’s Financial Memorandum from—

Dr Malcolm Reed, Director General; Valerie Davidson, Head of Financial Services; and Hilary Howatt, Policy Development Manager, Strathclyde Passenger Transport; and Councillor Andrew Burns, Transport Spokesman for City of Edinburgh Council; and James Fowlie, Policy Manager, COSLA; then

Jonathon Pryce, Head, Transport, Strategy and Legislation Division; Frazer Henderson, Bill Team Leader; and Claire Dunbar-Jubb, Group Accountant, Roads Policy and Group Finance Division, Scottish Executive Enterprise, Transport and Lifelong Learning Department.

4. Public Administration Select Committee’s Inquiry into Civil Service Effectiveness: The Committee will consider whether to contribute to the UK Parliament’s Public Administration Select Committee’s inquiry into Civil Service Effectiveness.

5. Budget process 2005-06: The Committee will consider a paper on the proposed structure for its draft Stage 2 report.

6. Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider an interim report as part of its consideration of the Bill’s Financial Memorandum.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee

23 November 2004

9th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Oral evidence on the general principles: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Jim McFarlane, Chief Executive, Scottish Enterprise Edinburgh and Lothians;

Dave McCulloch, Project Manager, Scottish Enterprise Edinburgh and Lothians;

Bill Furness, Chief Executive, Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce;

Panel 2

Andrew Holmes, Director of City Development, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Barry Cross, Traffic Control Manager, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Gary Sturgeon, Economic Development, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Stuart Turnbull, Director, Jacob Babtie;

Panel 3

Alice McGlone, Acting NEAR Manager, North Edinburgh Area Renewal Project;

Panel 4

Andrew Holmes, Director of City Development, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Barry Cross, Traffic Control Manager, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Les Buckman, Principal Consultant, Steer Davies Gleave; and

Panel 5

Rahul Bijlani, lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell.

Procedures Committee

23 November 2004

15th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 3 in private.

2. Private Bills: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jackie McGuire, Head of Administration and Legal Services, and Mac West, Development Manager, Roads and Transportation, Clackmannanshire Council (promoters of the Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine Railway and Linked Improvements Bill) and Tara Whitworth, Technical Director, Jacobs Babtie (project manager and technical adviser to the promoters),

and then from—

John Dick, Kincardine Railway Concern Group (objectors to the Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine Railway and Linked Improvements Bill).

3. Oral Questions Review: The Committee will further consider options for changes to the timing and format of First Minister’s Question Time and Question Time.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

23 November 2004

32nd Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the response from the Promoter to points raised on the following Bills——

the Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill at preliminary stage; and

the Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill at preliminary stage.

2. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive to points raised on the following—

the Plant Health (Phytophthora ramorum) (Scotland) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/488);

the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 (Notice of Potential Liability for Costs) Amendment Order 2004 (SSI 2004/490); and

the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 (Commencement No.1) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/487).

3. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/491);

the Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/492); and

the Legal Aid (Scotland) Act 1986 Amendment Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/493).

4. Draft guidance subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) and Sustainable Development, Statutory Guidance to SEPA made under Section 31 of the Environment Act 1995, (SE/2004/257).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants etc.) Act 2004 (Commencement) (Scotland) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/494); and

the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004 (Commencement No. 2) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/495).

6. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will consider its submission to the Conveners’ Group in relation to sending representatives to a delegated legislation conference in Canberra, Australia.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee

23 November 2004

7th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 12.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

2. Preliminary consideration of objections: The Committee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

Enterprise and Culture Committee

23 November 2004

26th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Area Tourist Board Review: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Peter Taylor OBE, Vice Chair, Scottish Tourism Forum;

Alan Rankin, Chief Executive, Scottish Tourism Forum;

Ian Gardner, Director, Scottish Tourism Forum;

Panel 2

Councillor Sandy Park, Highland Council;

Ken Wardrop, Economic Development Manager, City of Edinburgh Council;

James Fowlie, Policy manager, COSLA; and

Panel 3

Robin Shedden, Chair of the Scottish Area Tourist Board Network and Chair, Kingdom of Fife Tourist Board;

Carolyn Baird, Chair of Perthshire Tourist Board;

on progress on the implementation of the Area Tourist Board review.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Scottish Network 2 Tourist Board Scheme Amendment Order 2004 (SSI/2004/465).

3. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme for the period January to December 2005.

European and External Relations Committee

23 November 2004

19th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 7 in private.

2. Promoting Scotland Worldwide - an Inquiry into the external relations policy, strategy and activities of the Scottish Executive: The Committee will hear from the Rt Hon Henry McLeish.

3. Reporter’s Report in to the remit and functions of the EU’s Fisheries Control Agency: The Committee will consider a report from its Reporter, Alasdair Morrison MSP.

4. Convener’s report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Letter received from the Scottish Executive on the proposals of the Food Standards Agency to implement EC Regulation 178/2002 (concerning food law and establishing an EU Food Safety Agency);

Plans for a Committee Away Day, January 2005; and

Possible visit to Scotland by the European Parliament’s Committee on Regional Development.

5. Pre- and post-EU Council Scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 2 December;

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 13 December;

Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council, 6 December;

ECOFIN, 7 December;

Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council, 9 December; and

Previous Councils

ECOFIN, 21 October;

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 25 October;

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 2 November.

6. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

7. Witness expenses: The Committee will consider a claim under the witness expenses scheme.

Health Committee

23 November 2004

27th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: Rhona Brankin MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, to move motion S2M-2002—

that the Health Committee recommends that the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.13) (Scotland) Order 2004 (SSI 2004/484) be approved.

2. Petitions: The Committee will consider petitions including the following—

PE247 Epilepsy Scotland: Epilepsy Service Provision;

PE452 and PE538 Mr James Mackie and PE577 Mr Steve Law, Action Against Autism: Autistic Spectrum Disorder;

PE474 Mr James Mackie: Heavy Metal Poisoning;

PE475 Speakability: Aphasia; and

PE774 Ms Sandra M Casey, Belford Action Group: Consultant-led Acute Services.

3. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

4. Budget process 2005-06 (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 2 report.

Justice 2 Committee

23 November 2004

33rd Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Youth Justice Inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Sandra Patterson, Children and Families Standing Committee, Association of Directors of Social Work;

Assistant Chief Constable Norma Graham, Central Scotland Police, Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland; and

Jackie Robeson, Head of Practice and Tom Philliben, Reporter Manager, West Region, Scottish Children's Reporter Administration.

Panel 2

Gerry McGeoch, Chair, Forth Valley youth justice strategy group;

Liam McPherson, Borders youth justice strategy group;

Councillor Henry Blythe and Michele Miller, Senior Manager, Children & Families and Criminal Justice Services, Fife youth justice strategy group; and

John Carney, Child Care Manager and Chair, Moray youth justice strategy group.

Panel 3

Jon Bannister, Senior Lecturer, Department of Urban Studies, University of Glasgow; and

Professor Gill McIvor, Director, Social Work Research Centre, University of Stirling.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Land Registration (Scotland) Amendment Rules 2004 (SSI 2004/476);

The Title Conditions (Scotland) Act 2003 (Rural Housing Bodies) Order 2004 (SSI 2004/477);

The Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Act 2000 (Prescribed Periods) Order 2004 (SSI 2004/478); and

The Lands Tribunal for Scotland (Title Conditions Certificates) (Fees) Rules 2004 (SSI 2004/479).

Local Government and Transport Committee

23 November 2004

26th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Transport (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Marjory Rodger, Director of Government Relations Scotland, Confederation of Passenger Transport;

Jim Lee, Managing Director, Travel Dundee and Chairman, Confederation of Passenger Transport Scottish Council;

Robert Andrew, Deputy Managing Director Stagecoach (Scotland), Confederation of Passenger Transport;

George Mair, Managing Director First Aberdeen, Confederation of Passenger Transport;

Councillor Charles Gordon, Leader, Glasgow City Council;

Marshall Poulton, Head of Policy and Planning, Glasgow City Council;

Michael Donnelly, Business Strategy Manager, Glasgow City Council;

Councillor Alistair Watson, Chair, Strathclyde Passenger Transport Authority;

Malcolm Reed, Director General, Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive;

Douglas Ferguson, Director of Operations, Strathclyde Passrnger Transport Executive; and

Valerie Davidson, Head of Finance, Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive.

3. Prostitution Tolerance Zones (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

4. Budget process 2005-06: The Committee will consider a draft report to the Finance Committee.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

24 November 2004

28th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Water Services etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on changes to the Bill proposed by the Minister for Environment and Rural Development, from—

Panel 1

Trisha McAuley, Head of Corporate Resources, Scottish Consumer Council;

Panel 2

Professor Alan Alexander, Chair, Scottish Water;

Dr Jon Hargreaves, Chief Executive, Scottish Water;

Cheryl Black, Customer Service Director, Scottish Water; and

Panel 3

Alan Sutherland, Water Industry Commissioner for Scotland;

Ian Smith, Convener, Water Customer Consultation Panels;

Dr John Sawkins, Deputy Convener, South East Customer Consultation Panel.

2. Subordinate legislation: Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development, to move—

motion S2M-1973 in the name of Ross Finnie MSP—That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that the draft Agricultural Holdings (Right to Buy Modifications) (Scotland) Regulations 2004 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Marketing of Fruit Plant Material Amendment (Scotland) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/471);

the Nature Conservation (Designation of Relevant Regulatory Authorities) (Scotland) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/474); and

the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/475).

Public Petitions Committee

24 November 2004

18th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE786 Requirement for thermostatic mixing valves to be installed in the hot water systems of all new-build and renovated properties. Alan Masterton will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Darren Ferguson and Ken Stewart.

PE787 Legislation to replace Council Tax with a system more closely related to the ability to pay. Alastair Murdoch will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Archie White and Andrew Todd.

PE788 Legislation to introduce a national anthem for Scotland. George Reid will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Chris Ballance MSP.

PE784 Removal of local authority powers to reclaim unwarranted council tax discounts.

PE785 Right of appeal against the removal of council tax discounts.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE585 Amendments to the Use Classes Order and the siting of detoxification units. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE616 Addressing the health and safety hazards from seagulls in urban areas. The Committee will consider an update from the Scottish Executive.

PE648 Availability of portable oxygen cylinders on GP prescription. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE675 Suitability of HMP Peterhead for the long-term imprisonment of convicted sex offenders. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Prison Service.

PE721 Introducing guidance in relation to the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, the Chartered Institute of Housing in Scotland and the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations.

PE725 Restoring the presumption against the closure of rural schools.

PE753 Providing revised guidance for local authorities on proposed school closures. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Education and Young People.

PE733 Producing guidance to egg producers on relevant legislation relating to egg stamping. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE757 Inquiry into the management and structure of Scottish Football. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Football Association, Scottish Executive and Richard Baker MSP.

3. Proposed Petitions: The Committee will consider the admissibility of the following proposed petition—

Petition by James Duff calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to bring into force legislation to entitle the Law Society of Scotland to appoint a solicitor to aggrieved complainants having claims of negligence against their former solicitor.

4. Referral of public petitions to subject committees: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

Justice 1 Committee

24 November 2004

36th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Emergency Workers (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee

25 November 2004

9th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 2

1. Oral evidence on the general principles: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Jim McFarlane, Chief Executive, Scottish Enterprise Edinburgh and Lothian;

Dave McCulloch, Project Manager, Scottish Enterprise Edinburgh and Lothian;

Graham Bell, Public Relations Manager, Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce;

Panel 2

Andrew Holmes, Director of City Development, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Barry Cross, Traffic Control Manager, The City of Edinburgh Council;

Garry Sturgeon, Economic Development Team Leader, The City of Edinburgh Council;

John Colgan, Traffic Engineering Stream Manager, FaberMaunsell; and

Panel 3

Rahul Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell.

 

Top