BB Home

Contents
Announcements
A : Daily Business List
B : Business Programme
E : Written questions lodged
F : Motions and Amendments
G : Bills: Notices and Amendments
H : New Documents
I : Petitions lodged
K : Progress of Parliamentary Business

Business Bulletin No. 108 / 2004

Wednesday 23rd June 2004

Section A : Daily Business List

  

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in Committee Chambers, Edinburgh unless otherwise indicated.

Justice 1 Committee

25th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in the Chamber, Assembly Hall,

The Mound, Edinburgh

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 7 in private.

2. Former Justice 1 Committee inquiry into the regulation of the legal profession: The Committee will consider what progress has been made in relation to implementing the recommendations made by the former Justice 1 Committee in its 11th Report 2002: Report on Regulation of the Legal Profession Inquiry.

3. Transparency of legal fees: The Committee will consider further correspondence relating to this matter.

4. Emergency vehicles and dangerous driving: The Committee will consider correspondence arising from closed petition PE111 which called for the Parliament to order a public inquiry into road accidents involving police responding to 999 calls.

5. Children (Scotland) Act 1995: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive in relation to access to rights under the Act.

6. Security of tenure and rights of access: The Committee will consider further correspondence relating to security of tenure and rights of access for those who own property built on leased land.

7. Security of tenure and rights of access: The Committee will consider a specification and list of candidates for the post of adviser in relation to security of tenure and rights of access for those who own property built on leased land.

8. Emergency Workers (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Public Petitions Committee

11th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions-

PE741 Inquiry into sustainable development at community level. Mr John Foster, Chair, Govan Community Council, will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Mr Mike Dailly, Principal Solicitor, Govan Law Centre.

PE749 Moratorium and legislation on spreading sewage sludge. Mr Geoffrey Kolbe, Newcastleton and District Community Council, will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Jackie Brown and Beatrice Scott.

PE753 Revised guidance for local authorities on proposed school closures.

PE745 The accountability and responsibilities of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

PE750 Proposed measures to address anti-social behaviour.

PE751 Calling for an inquiry into the procedures and practices of the Scottish Legal Aid Board.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions-

PE524 Proposals contained in the review of strategic planning. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE583 Governance and management of Scotland's further education colleges. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE601 Commencement of sections 25 to 29 of the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Scotland) Act 1990. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive and Office of Fair Trading.

PE675 Suitability of conditions at HMP Peterhead for long term imprisonment. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Prison Service.

PE714 Guidelines on Field Impairment Tests. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland and the Dyslexia Association.

PE716 Grampian Regional Council (Harbours) Order Confirmation Act 1987. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive and Aberdeenshire Council.

PE719 Review of local government finance. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Finance and Public Services and the Minister for the Environment and Rural Development.

PE729 Funding a conference on autism. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

Communities Committee

23rd Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in the Hub, Castlehill, Edinburgh

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 5 and 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Mrs Mary Mulligan MSP, Deputy Minister for Communities to move the following motion-

S2M-1403 Ms Margaret Curran: The Draft Town and Country Planning (Electronic Communications) (Scotland) Order 2004-That the Communities Committee recommends that the draft Town and Country Planning (Electronic Communications) (Scotland) Order 2004 be approved.

3. Planning: The Committee will take oral evidence from-

Jim Mackinnon, Chief Planner and Tim Barraclough, Head of Planning: Division 1, Scottish Executive.

4. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following petitions-

PE541 by Dr James S. Buchanan (on behalf of the Roslin Community Action Group) on landfill and waste management;

PE543 by Karen Whitefield MSP on landfill and waste management;

PE650 by Alison Mackay, on behalf of NO 2 TETRA, on TETRA communication masts in Scotland;

PE728 by Paul Goddard, on behalf of the Comrie Action on TETRA, on TETRA communication masts in Scotland.

5. Charity law: The Committee will consider its approach to the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill.

6. Away day: The Committee will consider its approach to a Committee Away Day.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

17th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following proposed code-

Scottish Outdoor Access Code: Proposed Code, (SE 2004/101).

2. Sustainable development: The Committee will consider its response to the consultation on the formulation of a UK sustainable development strategy.

Not before 11.30am

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence from Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development, on the following negative instrument-

the Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programmes (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/258).

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments-

the Shrimp Fishing Nets (Scotland) Order 2004 (SSI 2004/261);

the Agricultural Business Development (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/267); and

the Common Agricultural Policy (Wine) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/272).

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection - His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions-

S2M-1528 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Local Governance (Scotland) Bill - Business Motion-That the Parliament agrees that, during Stage 3 of the Local Governance (Scotland) Bill, debate on each part of the proceedings shall be brought to a conclusion by the time-limits indicated (each time-limit being calculated from when the Stage begins and excluding any periods when other business is under consideration or when the meeting of the Parliament is suspended or otherwise not in progress):

Groups 1 to 5 - no later than 1 hour and 10 minutes

Group 6 - no later than 1 hour 20 minutes

Groups 7 and 8 - no later than 1 hour and 50 minutes

Group 9 - no later than 1 hour and 55 minutes

Motion to pass the Bill - 2 hours and 25 minutes

followed by Stage 3 of the Local Governance (Scotland) Bill-

S2M-1495 Mr Andy Kerr: Local Governance (Scotland) Bill-That the Parliament agrees that the Local Governance (Scotland) Bill be passed.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendment

S2M-1495.1 Tricia Marwick: Local Governance (Scotland) Bill-As an amendment to motion (S2M-1495) in the name of Mr Andy Kerr, insert at end "but, in so doing, considers that the Scottish Executive should bring forward legislation, as a matter of urgency, to decouple elections to Scottish local authorities from the elections to the Parliament."

followed by Business Motion-

S2M-1523 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion-That the Parliament agrees the following revisions to the programme of business for Thursday 24 June 2004 and Thursday 1 July 2004-

(a) Thursday 24 June 2004

(i) delete,

9.30 am Procedures Committee Debate on its 3rd Report, 2004: Suspension of Standing Orders and its 5th Report, 2004: Two Minor Changes to Standing Orders

and insert,

9.30 am Ministerial Statement on Future Arrangements for Cross-Border Students

followed by Procedures Committee Debate on its 3rd Report, 2004: Suspension of Standing Orders and its 5th Report, 2004: Two Minor Changes to Standing Orders

and,

(ii) after,

2.00 pm Question Time-

Education and Young People, Tourism, Culture and Sport;

Finance and Public Services and Communities;

General Questions

delete,

3.00 pm Stage 1 Debate on the School Education (Ministerial Powers and Independent Schools) (Scotland) Bill

and insert,

3.00 pm Ministerial Statement on Efficient Government

followed by Stage 1 Debate on the School Education (Ministerial Powers and Independent Schools) (Scotland) Bill

followed by Motion on the Publication of Lord Fraser's Report into the Scottish Parliament Building Project;

and

(b) Thursday 1 July 2004

delete,

9.30 am Final Stage of Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine Railway and Linked Improvements Bill

and insert,

9.30 am Executive Debate on 21st Century Social Work

and after,

2.00 pm Question Time-

Environment and Rural Development;

Health and Community Care;

General Questions

delete,

3.00 pm Executive Business

and insert,

3.00 pm Final Stage of Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine Railway and Linked Improvements Bill

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions-

S2M-1513 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI-That the Parliament agrees that the Farm Business Development (Scotland) Amendment Scheme 2004 (SSI 2004/236) be approved.

S2M-1514 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee-That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Police (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/257).

S2M-1515 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee-That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/262).

S2M-1516 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee-That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Criminal Legal Aid (Fixed Payments) (Scotland) Amendment (No.3) Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/263).

S2M-1517 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee-That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Criminal Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/264).

S2M-1518 Patricia Ferguson on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee-That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/281).

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members' Business

Debate on the subject of-

S2M-1204 Mr David Davidson: Newton Dee Village Community-That the Parliament recognises the huge investment in, and the excellent and unique work accomplished at, the Newton Dee Village Community since 1940 and also at the 11 other centres of the Camphill Village Trust through the provision of fulfilling work opportunities and homes for adults with learning disabilities; commends the pioneering health care provision available to residents and the local community; recognises the impact this has on the development of wide-ranging interests and participation in cultural and social activities, and believes that everything possible should be done to allow the community to continue undisturbed and to develop over future years.

 

Top