BB Home

Contents
A: Daily Business
B: Business Programme
D: Oral questions
E: Written questions
F: Motions and Amendments
G: Bills
H: New Documents
J: SPB: Note of Decisions
K: Progress of Parliamentary business

 

Business Bulletin No. 52/2003

Tuesday 18 March 2003

Section E : Written questions lodged on 17 March 2003

  

Questions marked with a triangle () are initiated by the Scottish Executive in order to facilitate the provision of information to the Parliament.

S1W-34664 Mr Alasdair Morrison: To ask the Scottish Executive when it intends to announce its decision on whether to extend its proposed review of Barra air transport provision.

S1W-34725 Lord James Douglas-Hamilton: To ask the Presiding Officer what plans there are to publish bound volumes of the Official Report for meetings of the Parliament in the first parliamentary year.

S1W-34726 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive how many times (a) it and (b) each non-departmental public body has met with the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA) in (i) Edinburgh and (ii) elsewhere in Scotland; whether the chairman and chief executive of the authority attended any such meetings, and what future meetings are planned with the chairman and chief executive.

S1W-34727 Miss Annabel Goldie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether a post responsible for equine matters will be created within its Environment and Rural Affairs Department similar to that within the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and, if so, what the timescale for the appointment will be.

S1W-34728 Ms Sandra White: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-34296 by Ms Margaret Curran on 13 March 2003, which social inclusion partnership projects operating in Glasgow were closed down and for what reasons.

S1W-34729 Mr Jamie Stone: To ask the Scottish Executive what discussions it has had with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs about the implementation of a Scottish scheme for the disposal of fallen stock.

S1W-34730 Mr Jamie Stone: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will monitor the average level of public liability premiums in the year before and five years after the implementation of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 in order to investigate whether the act has had any effect on insurance premiums.

S1W-34731 Mr Jamie Stone: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will give financial assistance to farmers who are required to carry out arterial drainage works as a result of an improvement order under the Land Drainage (Scotland) Act 1958.

S1W-34732 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Presiding Officer whether there has been any change to the latest estimate of 324 million of the cost of the Holyrood project; if so, what the estimate is now; whether the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body will inform the public of any change to the costs in the period between 31 March and 1 May 2003; whether project management on a monthly basis reviews and reports costs as suggested in recommendation 27(g) of the report by the Auditor General The New Scottish Parliament building: An examination of the management of the Holyrood project of September 2000, and, if so, when the next reports are due to be made between now and 1 May 2003 and whether their main findings in relation to costs will be made public.

S1W-34733 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has received representations from Dumfries and Galloway Council in relation to the rejection of the recommendation made to the Executive by the reporter to the planning inquiry that the proposed weight restriction order U111w to the Polbae Road near Newton Stewart be not made; whether the imposition of such an order would damage forestry interests; whether the roads maintenance budget of the council is sufficient, and what action it will take to protect the interests of those that would be affected by the granting of such a weight restriction order.

S1W-34734 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the East Ayrshire Council area are being treated for cancers that could have been caused by radiation.

S1W-34735 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the East Ayrshire Council area have died from cancer that may have been caused from radiation in each year since 1986.

S1W-34736 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the causes of the pattern of cancer deaths in the East Ayrshire Council area have changed significantly since 1980.

S1W-34737 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive how many farms in the East Ayrshire Council area remain under restrictions imposed after the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear reactor in 1986 and what those restrictions are.

S1W-34738 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Presiding Officer, further to his answer to question S1W-33760 on 19 February 2003, whether the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body will provide a breakdown of the 56 million estimate for fees for the Holyrood project referred to in his letter of 12 March 2003 placed in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre; how much it is estimated is due to each of the consultants, including Bovis Lend Lease (Scotland) Limited, Davis Langdon & Everest, EMBT/RMJM, Ove Arup and Partners, RMJM Scotland Limited and any other consultants, and whether the figures include any provision for site operation costs and, if so, whether it will provide a full breakdown of such costs.

S1W-34739 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive how many (a) females and (b) males were charged with abuse of children in each of the last five years for which figures are available.

S1W-34740 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive how many reports of child abuse were submitted by the police to procurators fiscal and how many of these reports concerned complaints against (a) females and (b) males in each of the last five years for which figures are available.

S1W-34741 Janis Hughes: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Scottish Needs Assessment Programme report on child and adolescent mental health services will be published.

S1W-34742 John Farquhar Munro: To ask the Scottish Executive what response it made to the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution’s 22nd report, Energy - The Changing Climate.

S1W-34743 Tavish Scott: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress it has made in developing a strategic framework for the aquaculture industry.

S1W-34744 Rhona Brankin: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will respond to Nurturing Wealth Creation: A Report by the Scottish Manufacturing Steering Group.

S1W-34745 Karen Gillon: To ask the Scottish Executive when phase II of the adoption policy review will commence.

S1W-34746 Pauline McNeill: To ask the Scottish Executive when the consultation paper on the proposed Tenements (Scotland) Bill will be published and how long the consultation period will be.

S1W-34747 Tavish Scott: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will report on the outcome of the Agriculture and Fisheries Council held in Brussels on 17 and 18 March 2003.

S1W-34748 Nora Radcliffe: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Nitrate Vulnerable Zones (Grants) (Scotland) Scheme will be launched.

S1W-34749 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive what its performance in answering ministerial correspondence was in the fourth quarter of 2002.

S1W-34750 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive when it intends to start accepting applications for its 2 million fund that aims to promote regeneration by sustaining and improving post office branches located in deprived urban areas.

S1W-34751 Dr Sylvia Jackson: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made towards the 2005 electronic service delivery target.

S1W-34752 Kate Maclean: To ask the Scottish Executive when further detailed results from the 2001 Census will be published.

S1W-34753 John Farquhar Munro: To ask the Scottish Executive when the consultant's final report of the review of litter legislation will be published.

S1W-34754 Elaine Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive how the recommendations in Women and Transport: Guidance and Checklist are being addressed in the delivery of transport services in the area served by the Strathclyde Passenger Transport.

S1W-34755 Elaine Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive what consideration is given to gender differences in transport needs, including the issues highlighted in Women and Transport: Guidance and Checklist, within the remit of the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland.

S1W-34756 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Transport Planning Group will meet representatives of the Fort William and District Chamber of Commerce to discuss the Chamber of Commerce’s campaign to upgrade the A82.

S1W-34757 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive how much of the EU structural funds allocated to the Highlands and Islands has been used on road improvements in each year since 1999 and how much it estimates will be used on the basis of its present policy intentions in the current year and the next two years.

S1W-34758 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive what account it has taken of any representations received from the National Farmers Union Scotland on the impact of any revised proposals drafted by the EU Commission for the protection of animals during transport.

S1W-34759 Elaine Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive how the work done by the Equality Proofings Budget Advisory Group will be taken into account by the new independent women’s equality group announced by the Minister for Social Justice on 6 February 2003 and how the group will relate to the Executive, the Parliament and civic society.

S1W-34760 Elaine Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive what consideration the new independent women’s equality group will give to the previous discussions and recommendations of the Women in Scotland Consultative Forum.

S1W-34761 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive when Peterhead Ambulance Station will commence full-time working.

S1W-34762 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive when arrangements will be in place to allow white fish landings to resume at Macduff harbour.

S1W-34763 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive when rail services will operate without any passenger having to stand for more than 10 minutes.

S1W-34764 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the total spend of its advertising budget will be in 2002-03.

S1W-34765 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive how much of its advertising committed in 2002-03 will be paid for by the 2003-04 budget.

S1W-34766 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what dependence Macduff harbour and surrounding businesses have on fishing.

S1W-34767 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the value of its property interests is.

S1W-34768 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the value of its computer systems (a) was at the time of purchase and (b) is now.

S1W-34769 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive over what period it depreciates the asset value of its (a) vehicles, (b) computer hardware, (c) bespoke computer software, (d) standard computer software, (e) furniture and (f) telecommunications equipment.

S1W-34770 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive how frequently it restates the asset values of its building estate.

S1W-34771 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what support is available for skateboarding.

S1W-34772 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what support is available for roller-blading.

S1W-34773 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive how many beds are expected to be available for tourists in August 2003, broken down by (a) tourist board area and (b) category of accommodation.

S1W-34774 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive how many beds were available for tourists in August in each year from 1997 to 2002, broken down by (a) tourist board area and (b) category of accommodation.

S1W-34775 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has received from businesses and business organisations regarding the upgrading of the A90 north of Balmedie and north of Tipperty to dual carriageway status.

S1W-34776 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what research has been done into the economic benefits of upgrading the A90 north of Balmedie and north of Tipperty to dual carriageway status.

S1W-34777 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the timescale is for removal of the Hatton bends on the A90.

S1W-34778 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the timescale is for construction of the deceleration lane at the A90/A975 Cruden Bay junction.

S1W-34779 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the deceleration lane at the A90/A975 Cruden Bay junction will also include a stacking lane for the adjacent Gask turn-off.

S1W-34780 Mrs Margaret Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive whether a shortage of wheelchairs is contributing to delayed discharge from hospitals.

S1W-34781 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how equality issues will be considered in the development of a spatial strategy and a planning bill.

S1W-34782 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how mainstreaming equality principles will be applied in the drafting of a planning bill.

S1W-34783 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what consideration is given to the gendered nature of environmental concerns in preparing policy and drafting legislation.

S1W-34784 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what guidelines are in place to ensure that women's groups and organisations are included in consultation exercises and what monitoring procedures are in place to assess their participation in this processes.

S1W-34785 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action is being taken to increase the employment rates of disadvantaged groups, lone parents and ethnic minorities in the Edinburgh East and Musselburgh parliamentary constituency area.

S1W-34786 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the grant aided expenditure settlement for (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council has been in each year since 1997-98, showing the percentage change year on year.

S1W-34787 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the capital consent for (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council has been in each year since 1997-98.

S1W-34788 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how much money, in addition to the grant aided expenditure settlement, it has awarded to (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council through the Better Neighbourhood Services Fund and other such initiatives in each year since 1999-2000.

S1W-34789 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what percentage of (a) three- and (b) four-year-olds in the (i) City of Edinburgh and (ii) East Lothian council area are in pre-school education.

S1W-34790 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will investigate the provision of appropriate Scottish Qualification Authority courses in photography, particularly at Intermediate and Higher grades.

S1W-34791 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will ensure that the Scottish Qualifications Agency consults with English-based exam boards about the provision of courses and examinations in photography that are appropriate to Scottish students particularly in S5 and S6.

S1W-34792 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will ask the Scottish Qualifications Agency to review the Higher Still art examinations with the aim of introducing detailed moderation at the school of a portfolio of work from each student that is representative of achievement throughout the year.

S1W-34793 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will extend the period of consultation on the draft Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Bill in regard to the replacement of the present Record of Needs legislation, in light of any concerns from parents of children that will be affected by the proposals.

S1W-34794 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will inquire into the effectiveness of the process of consultation on the draft Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Bill to replace the present Record of Needs legislation and whether the consultation process enabled parents to be heard.

S1W-34795 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether its proposals to replace the present Record of Needs legislation fully conforms with the European Convention on Human Rights and whether it will give information on that matter to parents that are concerned about the impact of the proposed legislation on their children.

S1W-34796 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will seek confirmation from every school and local authority that parents likely to be affected by the proposals in its draft Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Bill on the replacement of the present Record of Needs legislation were informed of the proposals in the draft bill, had the opportunity to give their views on the matter and that robust and accurate procedures were in place to communicate these views in detail to the Executive.

S1W-34797 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will make available, in full, the responses to the consultation process on the draft Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Bill to replace the present Record of Needs legislation.

S1W-34798 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what response it has given to the request from a range of academics, historians and others for support in order to commemorate the two hundredth anniversary of the first voyage of the Charlotte Dundas on the Forth and Clyde Canal.

S1W-34799 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what minimum standards of warden cover for sheltered housing complexes it expects local authorities to provide; what system exists for ensuring that such minimum standards are observed; what legislation covers this matter, and how many local authorities are failing to provide such a minimum standard.

S1W-34800 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what information it is providing to schools and young people with regard to the historical significance of the Union of the Crowns; who has drawn up such information, and what efforts have been made to ensure that it is fair and balanced.

S1W-34801 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there are any plans to organise a television debate featuring politicians, including the First Minister, that would promote the importance of the Union of the Crowns and, if so, what the status of such plans are; whether the proposal has been discussed by the advisory group and, if so, what the opinion of the group was, and whether any broadcasting organisation has been, or will be, approached by the First Minister or the Executive to show such a programme during the formal campaign for the Scottish Parliament elections, or at any other time.

S1W-34802 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive when sportscotland intends to decide on a relocation of its headquarters and whether North Ayrshire is being considered as a possible location.

S1W-34803 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how many (a) Executive, (b) executive agency and (c) non-departmental public body jobs have been re-located to North Ayrshire since 1 July 1999 and how many such jobs there were in North Ayrshire on (i) 1 July 1999 and (ii) 1 January 2003.

S1W-34804 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what actions have been taken since 1 July 1999 to help North Ayrshire improve its record as one of the worst areas of unemployment and what success these have had in terms of the percentage of unemployment within the area and other socio-economic indicators.

S1W-34805 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive where the highest and lowest rates of house price inflation are.

S1W-34806 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what the rates of drug-related crime were in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a)1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02, broken down by (i) reported offences, (ii) cases brought and (iii) convictions secured.

S1W-34807 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how many police officers were employed in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34808 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how many nurses were employed in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34809 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how many doctors were employed in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34810 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how many teachers were employed in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34811 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how much was spent on road building in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34812 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive how much was spent on local authority housing, including repairs and new building, in the North Ayrshire local authority area in (a) 1996-97, (b) 1997-98, (c) 1998-99, (d) 1999-2000, (e) 2000-01 and (f) 2001-02.

S1W-34813 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action is being taken to ensure the availability of good quality affordable housing for those on low incomes in the Edinburgh East and Musselburgh parliamentary constituency.

S1W-34814 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it has taken to reduce youth crime in the (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council area since 1999.

S1W-34815 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how much of the additional 0.5 billion to be spent on police forces, fire brigades and the prison service will be spent in the (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council area on (i) police, (ii) fire and (iii) prison services.

S1W-34816 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what initiatives it has undertaken, or plans to undertake, to tackle drugs misuse in the (a) Edinburgh East and Musselburgh parliamentary constituency, (b) City of Edinburgh Council and (c) East Lothian Council area and how much has been allocated to each area for this purpose.

S1W-34817 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how many young people living in the (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council area have received (i) education maintenance allowances, (ii) young students bursaries and (iii) young students outside Scotland bursaries in each year since 2001, broken down by (1) gender, (2) race and (3) disability.

S1W-34818 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the (a) City of Edinburgh and (b) East Lothian council area have gone into jobs through the New Deal, broken down by (i) race, (ii) gender and (iii) disability.

S1W-34819 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the (a) City of Edinburgh Council, (b) East Lothian Council and (c) Edinburgh East and Musselburgh parliamentary constituency area have participated in modern apprenticeship schemes in each year since 1999, broken down by (i) gender, (ii) race and (iii) disability.

S1W-34820 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking to give every child access to affordable child care.

S1W-34821 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive how many students have (a) applied for entry and (b) been accepted to study pharmacy courses at universities in Scotland in each of the last five years.

S1W-34822 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking to increase accessibility for disabled people to houses.

S1W-34823 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it supports the availability of disabled persons housing services across Scotland and what funding it is providing to increase this availability.

S1W-34824 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of financial support it has provided to sea fisheries in each of the last four years, showing the percentage allocated to (a) enforcement, (b) decommissioning schemes, (c) Fisheries Research Services and (d) other purposes.

S1W-34825 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what its budgetary projections are for financial support to sea fisheries for each of the next two years, showing the percentage allocated to (a) enforcement, (b) decommissioning schemes, (c) Fisheries Research Services and (d) other purposes.

S1W-34826 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of quota is allocated to vessels known to have been decommissioned.

S1W-34827 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of track record was decommissioned during previous decommissioning schemes and whether this level was equal to the total level accounted for by the vessels included in such schemes prior to being decommissioned.

S1W-34828 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of track record has been allocated to former fishing vessels whose owners surrendered their fishing licences under the 2001 decommissioning scheme and how much this track record is currently worth on the open market.

S1W-34829 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has made any assessment of how much funding would be required to purchase all track record and entitlement currently allocated to vessels known to have been decommissioned and, if so, how much it estimates this figure to be.

S1W-34830 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-31829 by Mr Jim Wallace on 3 December 2002, whether the fingerprint experts who gave evidence in the case of Shirley McKie have now given any evidence in court under oath since returning to work from suspension and whether it expects them to give any such evidence in court again and, if so, when.

S1W-34831 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive how much funding has been received from programmes overseen by the European Union in each of the last five years, broken down by local authority area.

S1W-34832 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what assessment it has made of available sources of funding from European institutions and how many staff are engaged to ensure adequate take-up of such funding by organisations in Scotland.

S1W-34833 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what the take-up level is of European Union (EU) grants, expressed as a percentage of total EU grants available and what information it holds on take-up of such grants by (a) other regions and nations within the United Kingdom and (b) EU member states.

S1W-34834 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what European funding programmes are available to organisations in Scotland.

S1W-34835 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what discussions it has had with Her Majesty's Government about the impact of departmental expenditure limits on the allocation of European Union funding within the Executive's budget.

S1W-34836 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what its position is on the operation of departmental expenditure limits in respect of European Union funding.

S1W-34837 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what average level of match funding it provides in respect of European Union grants.

S1W-34838 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what level of match funding it has allocated to projects involving a European Union grant in each of the last five years, broken down by local authority area.

S1W-34839 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to introduce training to raise awareness of the availability and purpose of different European Union grants and to provide assistance in the preparation of such grant applications.

S1W-34840 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive how many Council of Ministers meetings its ministers have attended since May 1999, expressed as a percentage of the total number of council meetings.

S1W-34841 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what discussions it had with Shell UK prior to the company’s announcement of 350 job losses.

S1W-34842 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it will undertake to ensure that all written questions submitted prior to the dissolution of the Parliament will be answered in full and made available to the public and what the reasons are for its position on the matter.

S1W-34843 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any issues could arise for it from the proposed changes involving bank accounts to the pension payments system; whether any such issues would be either short or long term; what action it will undertake to address each individual issue, and, if there is a financial aspect to addressing any issue, who would be responsible for the cost.

S1W-34844 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what consultations it has had, or representations it has made, regarding proposed changes involving bank accounts to the pension payment system, detailing with whom each such contact was made and what the date, purpose and outcome was of each such contact.

S1W-34845 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive how many persons of pensionable age live in the (a) Cumbernauld and Kilsyth and (b) Motherwell and Wishaw parliamentary constituencies.

S1W-34846 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what issues have been identified with any of the systems proposed for the payment of pensions; whether any issues have a judicial aspect that may require the involvement of the Scottish Law Officers and what action it has undertaken, or will undertake, to address each such issue.

S1W-34847 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether Citizens Advice Bureaux, Age Concern Scotland or the banks are appropriate means by which pensioners may receive independent financial advice in relation to the proposed changes to the pension payment system and what the reasons are for the position on the matter.

S1W-34848 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it has undertaken, or will undertake, to ensure that older people will receive fully independent financial advice prior to the proposed changes to the pension payment system.

S1W-34849 Mrs Margaret Smith: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will recommend to the banks that, in order to tackle any discrimination against people with disabilities who live in sheltered accommodation, they broaden their definition of acceptable documentary proof of identity.

S1W-34850 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what mechanisms are in place to ensure regular and frequent consultation over policy issues with members of black and other ethnic minority communities.

S1W-34851 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what monitoring systems are in place to ensure equal access to any funding initiatives to all sections of the community, including black and other ethnic minority communities.

S1W-34852 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made towards establishing a parkway station in Musselburgh, East Lothian.

S1W-34853 Pauline McNeill: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will publish the outcome of its review of higher education.

S1W-34854 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what targets it expects Registers of Scotland to achieve in 2003-04.

S1W-34855 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1F-2038 by Mr Jack McConnell on 5 September 2002, whether a copy of its "clear strategy" on sustainable development is available in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre and, if so, what the strategy is called.

S1W-34856 David McLetchie: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answers to questions S1W-4038 and S1W-33935 by Mr Jack McConnell on 10 March 2000 and Mr Andy Kerr on 20 February 2003 respectively, what the reasons are for the discrepancies in the figures for its staff employed at 1 April 1999.

S1W-34857 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive whether restrictions on the sale and use of pornography are considered to be integral to advancing the strategy on tackling violence against women.

S1W-34858 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made in increasing partnership working in the delivery of legal information and advice services.

S1W-34859 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what initiatives are being taken to extend the provision of "one-stop shop" delivery of legal information and advice services, building on the experience of existing services such as citizens advice bureaux.

S1W-34860 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive how many responses were received to its consultation paper, Meeting the Needs... Priorities, Actions and Targets for sustainable development in Scotland and how these responses were incorporated into Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland.

S1W-34861 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive how information was collected for Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland.

S1W-34862 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive how many new sustainable development targets have been set in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland.

S1W-34863 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive what information was available for Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland that was not available for Meeting the Needs... Priorities, Actions and Targets for sustainable development in Scotland.

S1W-34864 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive which indicators in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland will address effective protection of the environment.

S1W-34865 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive which indicators in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland will address quality of surroundings.

S1W-34866 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive which indicators in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland will address access to local green space and the wider countryside.

S1W-34867 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps it has taken, or plans to take, to broaden the indicators in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland to include indicators addressing (a) soils, (b) farmland biodiversity, (c) landscapes, (d) areas of ancient and semi-natural woodland, (e) areas of woodland and (f) sustainable forestry management.

S1W-34868 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive when a comprehensive strategy on sustainable development will be prepared.

S1W-34869 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it has taken, or plans to take, to ensure that all the indicators in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland have targets and action plans, and what its timetable is for the publication of a revised set of indicators with complete targets and action plans.

S1W-34870 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Sustainable Scotland last met; when it will meet next, and what plans it has to review and update the external membership of the committee.

S1W-34871 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has provided any guidance to its departments, executive agencies and non-departmental public bodies to assist in the review of spending plans against sustainable development criteria and, if so, whether it will publish this guidance.

S1W-34872 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive how often, and in what format, it will report on achieving progress against each of the indicators set out in Indicators of Sustainable Development for Scotland.

S1W-34873 Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to assess the potential benefits of an environmental court as a possible means of securing improved environmental justice.

S1W-34874 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what percentage of those who responded to the National Debate on Education were parents or organisations that included parent representatives.

S1W-34875 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what monitoring mechanisms will be in place to ensure that the terms of the Draft Education Additional Support for Learning (Scotland) Bill are implemented consistently across all local authorities.

S1W-34876 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what mechanisms will be introduced to ensure that all children with complex educational needs including those attending independent schools, are assessed and supported appropriately.

S1W-34877 Mr Alasdair Morrison: To ask the Scottish Executive what the outcome of the consultation on proposals for crofting reform legislation was and what conclusions it has drawn from the consultation responses.

S1W-34878 Cathy Peattie: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to further assist local authorities in implementing the National Cultural Strategy.

S1W-34879 Cathy Peattie: To ask the Scottish Executive what involvement it has had in the issue of ground specifications for Scottish Premier League football clubs.

S1W-34880 Cathy Peattie: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made with the commissioning of decontamination units and related equipment and the training of fire-fighters in the use of this equipment.

S1W-34881 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what monitoring systems are in place for assessing progress made by all transport providers within each local authority area in respect of recommendations contained in Women and Transport: Guidance and Checklist.

S1W-34882 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how the recommendations of Women and Transport: Guidance and Checklist will be reflected in the specifications of the new passenger rail franchise.

S1W-34883 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how the recommendations of Women and Transport: Guidance and Checklist are being carried out at local authority level.

S1W-34884 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it supports the call from the European Parliament for the European Union to allocate 150 million to offset the impact of the decisions made at the Fisheries Council meeting in December 2002.

S1W-34885 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will make representations to Her Majesty’s Government to take the necessary steps to enable the allocation of the 150 million additional European Union money referred to in the resolution of 10 March 2003 in the European Parliament on the white fish sector.

S1W-34886 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the content was of its submission to Her Majesty’s Government’s fifth periodic report to the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women and where this has been published.

S1W-34887 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive what policy the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal service has on the prosecution of incidents of drink driving.

S1W-34888 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the policy of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service on the prosecution of incidents of drink driving has changed since 1997.

S1W-34889 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive what the reason is for the fall since 1997 in the number of prosecutions of incidents of drink driving when compared with the number of recorded offences.

S1W-34890 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive how many cases were marked "no proceedings" due to delay in reporting to the procurators fiscal in April to December 2002, broken down by police force area.

S1W-34891 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-33923 by Mrs Elish Angiolini on 10 March 2003, what the reporting policies are that have led to the increase in cases being marked "no proceedings" due to delays in the Strathclyde area.

S1W-34892 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-33923 by Mrs Elish Angiolini on 10 March 2003, what the technology problems are that have led to the increase in cases being marked "no proceedings" due to delay in the Strathclyde area.

S1W-34893 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-33923 by Mrs Elish Angiolini on 10 March 2003, what the resources problems have been that have led to the increase in cases being marked "no proceedings" due to delay in the Strathclyde area.

S1W-34894 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-33923 by Mrs Elish Angiolini on 10 March 2003, how many cases from April to December 2002 have been marked "no proceedings" because there has been a non-court disposal, broken down by warnings, conditional offers, fiscal fines and diversions from prosecution.

S1W-34895 Michael Matheson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-34411 by Mr Jim Wallace on 13 March 2003, how the Scottish Prison Service tracks a case of violence in HM Prison Kilmarnock for the purposes of imposing performance points on the operators of the prison once the case has been reported to the police if it does not keep a record of such cases reported.

S1W-34896 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive how many school leavers in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area left school with no (a) standard and (b) higher grade qualifications compared to the national average in each of the last five years.

S1W-34897 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to increase the number of school leavers in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area leaving school with (a) standard and (b) higher grade qualifications.

S1W-34898 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive how many school leavers in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area left school and attained a higher qualification at a further or higher education institution compared with the national average in each of the last five years.

S1W-34899 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to increase the number of school leavers in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area leaving school with a higher grade qualification.

S1W-34900 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive how many patients in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area were diagnosed with coronary heart disease compared with the national average in each of the last five years.

S1W-34901 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to reduce the number of patients who suffer from coronary heart disease in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area.

S1W-34902 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area died from cancer compared with the national average in each of the last five years.

S1W-34903 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to reduce the number of cancer deaths in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area.

S1W-34904 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area died from lung cancer compared with the national average in each of the last five years.

S1W-34905 Paul Martin: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to reduce the number of lung cancer deaths in the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency area.

S1W-34906 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the transport projects announced on 30 January, 4 March and 12 March 2003 in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07.

S1W-34907 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the Larkhall-Milngavie rail link in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07.

S1W-34908 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-24007 by Lewis Macdonald on 25 March 2002, what expenditure is planned for each of the current and new trunk road projects in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07.

S1W-34909 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the A8 Bailieston-Newhouse road project in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07.

S1W-34910 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the A80 Stepps-Haggs road project in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07.

S1W-34911 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the Aberdeen western peripheral route road project in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07 and what the total cost of the project will be.

S1W-34912 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what expenditure is planned for the M77 Fenwick-Malletsheugh and Glasgow southern orbital public private partnership (PPP) road project in each year from 2002-03 to 2006-07 and what the total cost is of the PPP contract.

S1W-34913 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what the projected increases in (a) road traffic levels and (b) greenhouse gas emissions will be in (i) 2011 and (ii) 2021 for the (1) A1 Haddington-Dunbar, (2) A78 Bypass of Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston, (3) A8 Baillieston-Newhouse, (4) A80 Stepps-Haggs, (5) A830 Arisaig-Kinsadel, (6) A876 Kincardine Bridge, (7) A876 Kincardine Bridge Eastern Link Road, (8) A96 Aberdeen western peripheral route, (9) A96 Fochabers Bypass, (10) M74 Northern Extension, (11) M77 Fenwick-Malletsheugh and Glasgow southern orbital public private partnership project.

S1W-34914 Sarah Boyack: To ask the Scottish Executive when an announcement is expected on the proposal to build a 199-megawatt offshore wind-powered generating station at Robin Rigg in the Solway Firth.

S1W-34915 Sarah Boyack: To ask the Scottish Executive what additional resources will be made available to enable local authorities to carry out their legal responsibilities under the statutory regime for contaminated land.

S1W-34916 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will make an announcement on the proposal to build a 56-megawatt wind-powered generating station at Paul’s Hill in Moray.

S1W-34917 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will make an announcement on the proposal to build a 2.2-megawatt hydro-electric generating station at Braevallich in Argyll and Bute.

S1W-34918 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will make an announcement on the proposal to build a 2.0-megawatt hydro-electric generating station at Garrogie in the Highlands.

S1W-34919 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will make an announcement on the proposal to build a 3.5-megawatt hydro-electric generating station at Kingairloch in the Highlands.

S1W-34920 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made on the extension of its relocation policy announced on 25 October 2002 covering small units of location-independent work.

S1W-34921 Maureen Macmillan: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress it is making in its policy on the location and relocation of public sector jobs.

S1W-34922 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has agreed performance measures, similar to those for previous years for the Scottish Qualifications Authority, in regard to the authority’s performance in 2003.

S1W-34923 Jackie Baillie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether national targets for the Scottish Police Service for 2004 to 2006 have been set.

S1W-34924 Mr Tom McCabe: To ask the Scottish Executive what decision has been taken in relation to the release of the report about Thomas Hamilton by DS Paul Hughes to the Procurator Fiscal at Stirling in 1991.

S1W-34925 Janis Hughes: To ask the Scottish Executive when the review of Part 5 of the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 will be undertaken.

S1W-34926 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive when the autism consultative group in Edinburgh will be ready to report on its conclusions.

S1W-34927 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive how much funding has been allocated to the autism consultative group in Edinburgh for 2002-03 and how much of this allocation will have been spent by the end of the financial year.

S1W-34928 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there is a procedure to allow for carrying over to the next financial year any underspend from allocations through the Changing Children’s Services Fund.

S1W-34929 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what allocations have been made to the autism consultative group in Edinburgh for 2003-04.

S1W-34930 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the initial findings of the autism consultative group in Edinburgh indicated and what mechanisms are in place for incorporating any recommendations from the group into future planning of services for pre-school children with a diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder.

S1W-34931 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive which agencies are currently involved in developing an integrated approach to improving services for parents of pre-school children diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder.

S1W-34932 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive which agencies are primarily responsible for addressing the needs of pre-school children diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder.

S1W-34933 Ms Wendy Alexander: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will provide a response to Determined to Succeed: A Review of Enterprise in Education.

S1W-34934 Pauline McNeill: To ask the Scottish Executive what is being done to consider the implications for Scotland of the White Paper on higher education in England published by the Department for Education and Skills in January 2003.

S1W-34935 Mr Tom McCabe: To ask the Scottish Executive when it will consult on business improvement districts as recommended by Local Government Committee in Report on Inquiry into Local Government Finance.

S1W-34936 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it remains its policy to disperse its staff and those of non-departmental public bodies from Edinburgh to outlying regions and whether it would block relocation of staff from outlying regions into Edinburgh.

S1W-34937 Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive under what conditions the Scottish Agricultural College buildings at Auchencruive were inherited by the nation and whether any change of use of the buildings and land away from agricultural education purposes would negate their current ownership.

S1W-34938 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps are being taken to measure the level of reoffending upon discharge from each prison and what the most recent results are for each prison.

S1W-34939 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive when the new arrangements for prisoner escort duties will be in place and what level of resources this will free up in the prison service.

S1W-34940 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans there are to establish temporary accommodation blocks at HM Prison Craiginches and in the Scottish Prison Service as a whole.

S1W-34941 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive how many (a) mandatory drug tests and (b) drug tests at reception were carried out at each prison in each of the last 12 months and what the results of these tests were.

S1W-34942 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has a strategy for attracting people from overseas to come to Scotland and carry out ancestral research; whether such people played any role in the formulation of this strategy, and what the reasons are for its position on this matter.

S1W-34943 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the proposed local authority one-stop shops for ancestral research will provide the detailed local information needed for researchers to visit the actual historical sites of their ancestors.

S1W-34944 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the time period required to photocopy certain archive material in genealogical and historical archive centres acts as a barrier to people from overseas researching their genealogical history.

S1W-34945 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether overseas people seeking to conduct genealogical and historical research in historical archive centres are informed in advance of travelling to Scotland of any archive material that will be unavailable due to repair work being carried out on damaged documents.

S1W-34946 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether post-1700 archive records pertaining to Jacobite trials, executions and imprisonment are held in any genealogical and historical archive centres and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-34947 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has a strategy for attracting overseas visitors to come to Scotland to carry out genealogical and historical research of clan ancestry; whether clan ancestral research has a role to play in the tourism industry, and whether there is a need for more centres for genealogical and historical research in the Highlands.

S1W-34948 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive what guidance is issued to assist overseas people interested in conducting genealogical and historical research of their ancestors in Scotland.

S1W-34949 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any genealogical records exist in Scotland pertaining to Catholic ancestry dating further back than the 18th century; what its response is to the claim that such documents exist in the Vatican Archives in Rome, and whether it has made, or intends to make, any representations to bring these archive documents back to Scotland from the Vatican.

S1W-34950 Scott Barrie: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made in developing the secure estate following the announcement that five providers had been invited to adapt their plans to meet the geographical spread of places that it requires.

S1W-34951 Scott Barrie: To ask the Scottish Executive when the report by the Crown Agent on the aims, objectives and targets in the criminal justice system will be published and what action it will take as a result.

S1W-34952 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive how many proposals have been submitted for the redevelopment of Cumbernauld town centre since its partial demolition; on what date each such proposal was submitted; to what local authority and by whom each proposal was submitted; how far each proposal has progressed in relation to planning permission; on what date and, in each case, why any proposals were discontinued, and what cost was incurred to public funds on each occasion.

S1W-34953 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what consultations it has carried out on the redevelopment of Cumbernauld town centre; what the dates were of each such consultation; who was consulted; what the terms and scope were of each consultation, and what the outcome was and what the reasons were for its position in each case.

S1W-34954 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has received about the redevelopment of Cumbernauld town centre; on what date and from whom each such representation was received; what the terms were of each representation, and what the outcome was and what the reasons were for its position in each case.

S1W-34955 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive for what specific reasons the proposals by the Cumbernauld Development Corporation for the redevelopment of Cumbernauld town centre have not been carried forward by North Lanarkshire Council.

S1W-34956 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the current condition of Cumbernauld town centre is acceptable; what action it has taken in respect of the town centre, and what the reasons are for its position on this matter.

S1W-34957 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what social amenities that it would consider to be appropriate and desirable for a population the size of that in the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth parliamentary constituency are missing from Cumbernauld town centre and what action it will take in respect of this matter.

S1W-34958 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what assistance it can provide any residents of the Luggiebank area of the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth parliamentary constituency who have concerns about the potential environmental and personal impact of activities associated with a local plastic coating company and how open the process for any such assistance would be with regard to providing information that would (a) allay fears should nothing be untoward and (b) allow full disclosure of any irregularities found.

S1W-34959 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what account it takes of any tax paid by the recipients of grants it made to decommission fishing vessels when it awards the grants and what information it has on how much tax was paid, expressed as a percentage of the total amount of such grants, and on how much is expected to be paid by recipients of grants in the forthcoming decommissioning scheme.

S1W-34960 Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has made to HM Treasury in regard to the tax paid as a result of the last fishing vessel decommissioning scheme.

 

Top