BB Home

Contents
B: Business Programme
E: Written questions
F: Motions and Amendments
G: Bills
H: New Documents
K: Progress of Parliamentary business

 

Business Bulletin No. 110/2002

Friday 12 July 2002

Section E : Written questions lodged from 5 to 11 July 2002

  

Questions marked with a triangle () are initiated by the Scottish Executive in order to facilitate the provision of information to the Parliament.

Questions marked with a triangle (Δ) are initiated by the Scottish Executive in order to facilitate the provision of information to the Parliament.

S1W-27363 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what the estimated administration costs are of the proposed congestion charging scheme in Edinburgh expressed as a percentage of the estimated amount of revenue to be raised by the scheme.

S1W-27364 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what the impact will be on the proposed congestion charging scheme for Edinburgh of drivers who are classified as untraceable as a result of variation in the records maintained by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority and what percentage of drivers it estimates will be affected.

S1W-27365 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what studies have been carried out into the issue of abandoned vehicles.

S1W-27366 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26712 by Lewis Macdonald on 3 July 2002, who the operator would be in the event of the franchise not being let or re-let.

S1W-27367 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26712 by Lewis Macdonald on 3 July 2002, who the operator of last resort would be in the event of the franchise not being let or re-let.

S1W-27368 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has the powers to direct the Strategic Rail Authority to create a public not-for-profit trust company to take over the Scottish passenger rail franchise should such an action be deemed desirable at the end of the current ScotRail franchise.

S1W-27369 Donald Gorrie: To ask the Scottish Executive how it interprets and applies the statements made in The Civil Service Code that "civil servants owe their loyalty to the administrations in which they serve" and "the term administration to mean.. the Scottish Executive".

S1W-27370 Donald Gorrie: To ask the Scottish Executive what duty civil servants have to the Scottish Parliament other than "They should not deceive or knowingly mislead.. Parliament" as stated in The Civil Service Code.

S1W-27371 Donald Gorrie: To ask the Scottish Executive what duties of disclosure of information civil servants have to the Parliament or to individual MSPs.

S1W-27372 Donald Gorrie: To ask the Scottish Executive whether The Civil Service Code applies to employees of executive agencies, non-departmental public bodies and health boards and trusts and, if not, what rules of accountability apply to these bodies and what plans it has to make any changes to the position.

S1W-27373 Fiona Hyslop: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will list the towns which have a town crier and whether Kilwinning and Linlithgow both have town criers.

S1W-27374 Alasdair Morgan: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans there are to increase the number of dental graduates.

S1W-27375 Alasdair Morgan: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans there are to review the funding for and provision of dentists.

S1W-27376 Karen Gillon: To ask the Scottish Executive what standards it expects to be applied in teacher training colleges' recruitment processes that would encourage those with special needs and, in particular, deaf people to apply for places on teacher training courses.

S1W-27377 Karen Gillon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the most up-to-date figures are regarding the number of specialist teachers of deaf children currently employed in each education authority area.

S1W-27378 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive how many anti-social behaviour orders have been granted in Stirling, Clackmannanshire and Fife in each of the last four years.

S1W-27379 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive what support is available for the provision of facilities for skateboarders and BMX riders.

S1W-27380 Mr Keith Harding: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will consider giving local authorities the right to decide whether council by-elections should be held by postal ballot only.

S1W-27381 Mr Keith Harding: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has received, or discussions it has held, concerning the decision by the Church of Scotland to close its care home at Leslie House in Fife.

S1W-27382 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there are any problems arising from the Data Protection Acts with regard to providing papers to approved youth workers and criminal justice social workers in respect of young offenders referred to them by the diversion from prosecution programmes.

S1W-27383 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has convened the meeting between the forestry industry and COSLA representatives to discuss timber transport and rural roads issues as agreed by the Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development on 30 May 2002 (Official Report c 12540) and whether increased investment in rural roads is in the interests of the forestry industry.

S1W-27384 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the exercise of powers by local authorities to impose weight restrictions on roads may lead to areas of forest becoming isolated and whether any such action should be the subject of consultation with the Executive before it is taken.

S1W-27385 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has met The Highland Council in connection with a proposal for a feasibility study in respect of a Stromeferry bypass.

S1W-27386 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive when the Sustainable Development Forum is due to meet.

S1W-27387 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive when it announced the formation of the Sustainable Development Forum to the Parliament and the public and what form the announcement took.

S1W-27388 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people it expects to take part in the Sustainable Development Forum and what the remit of the forum is.

S1W-27389 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive how often it expects the Sustainable Development Forum to meet.

S1W-27390 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive how many organisations across civic society and involved in sustainable development work were invited in writing to participate in the Sustainable Development Forum.

S1W-27391 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what mechanisms it has put in place to report the deliberations and conclusions of the Sustainable Development Forum and to take these conclusions into account.

S1W-27392 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive how many officials and what budget have been made available to support the work of the Sustainable Development Forum.

S1W-27393 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive where it advertised for interested persons to take part in the Sustainable Development Forum and what the normal process is for canvassing interest for such bodies.

S1W-27394 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what issues will be on the agenda for the first meeting of the Sustainable Development Forum.

S1W-27395 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive who will chair the first and subsequent meetings of the Sustainable Development Forum.

S1W-27396 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive how many members it expects to attend the first meeting of the Sustainable Development Forum.

S1W-27397 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive what criteria will be used to select and appoint members to the first meeting of the Sustainable Development Forum and whether these criteria will be used to select and appoint members to any subsequent meeting.

S1W-27398 Robin Harper: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it expects participants at the first meeting of the Sustainable Development Forum to remain members throughout the life of the forum and, if not, what procedures have been put in place to replace any member or to add to the membership of the forum.

S1W-27399 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will consider fully funding the Scottish European Resource Centre, which it currently match funds, in light of the proposed cessation of funding by the European Commission office in London in December 2002.

S1W-27400 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive how much it has given to the Scottish European Resource Centre in match funding in each of the last three financial years.

S1W-27401 Shona Robison: To ask the Scottish Executive what statutory obligations there are for businesses to provide disability access when renovating and extending premises where disability access did not previously exist.

S1W-27402 Shona Robison: To ask the Scottish Executive what financial assistance is available to businesses wanting to provide disability access when renovating and extending existing premises.

S1W-27403 Roseanna Cunningham: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has ever received any notice under paragraph 6.8 of the Minute of Agreement between the Secretary of State for Scotland and Kilmarnock Prison Services Ltd for the Design, Construction, Management and Financing of a Prison at Kilmarnock.

S1W-27404 Roseanna Cunningham: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has ever given any notice under paragraph 7.1 of the Minute of Agreement between the Secretary of State for Scotland and Kilmarnock Prison Services Ltd for the Design, Construction, Management and Financing of a Prison at Kilmarnock.

S1W-27405 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what the estimated annual costs to local authorities are of dealing with abandoned vehicles.

S1W-27406 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what funding will be made available to local authorities or any other relevant body to deal with abandoned vehicles.

S1W-27407 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what effect the reduction in the share price of Omne Communications Ltd will have on the roll-out of the broadband strategy; whether any changes to the strategy are planned, and whether there will be any variation to the timescale and delivery of the strategy.

S1W-27408 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what national strategy it or anybody accountable to it or acting on its behalf has for rolling out broadband over the next (a) two, (b) five and (c) ten years, other than project ATLAS.

S1W-27409 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what its strategy is towards local loop unbundling (LLU) and what information it has on the number of telephone exchanges where LLU has taken place up to the present date and the number of exchanges where it expects LLU to take place over the next two years.

S1W-27410 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has made in respect of the proposed EU Directive 2002/C 48/27 relating to port ownership and operation.

S1W-27411 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will make any representations and propose any amendments to the proposed EU Directive 2002/C 48/27 and, if so, what the nature of any such amendments will be, detailing the reasons behind its position on the matter.

S1W-27412 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will propose amendments to the proposed EU Directive 2002/C 48/27 to allow ships of a lower tonnage than that currently in the proposed directive or regional ports to be exempted from the directive's provisions in view of the different nature of port operation in Scotland and the importance of ports to Scotland as an island community.

S1W-27413 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26388 by Mr Jim Wallace on 2 July 2002, whether it provided any advice to the operators of HM Prison Kilmarnock on drafting (a) the submission by Premier Custodial Group to the Justice 1 Committee of 26 October 2001, (b) the letter sent by Elaine Bailey to the Justice 1 Committee on 20 December 2001, (c) the letter sent by Elaine Bailey to the Justice 1 Committee on 7 May 2002 and (d) the letter sent by Elaine Bailey to the Justice 1 Committee on 17 May 2002.

S1W-27414 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Kelvin Valley route will be utilised for the upgrading of the A80, detailing the reasons behind its position on the matter.

S1W-27415 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what compensation it proposes to provide to residents affected by the upgrading of the A80 and what consultation exercises it has held, or proposes to hold, on the matter with affected parties.

S1W-27416 Andrew Wilson: To ask the Scottish Executive what appeals process will be made available to individuals or groups who may be opposed to the finalised route for the upgrading of the A80.

S1W-27417 Brian Adam: To ask the Scottish Executive what the mean waiting time is for anaphylaxis and allergy services, broken down by NHS board area.

S1W-27418 Brian Adam: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any anaphylaxis and allergy services have closed or deferred waiting lists and, if so, which services are affected.

S1W-27419 Elaine Thomson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any estimate has been made of the number of homeowners who have responsibility for common footpaths and ground associated with their properties.

S1W-27420 Elaine Thomson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the Housing Improvement Taskforce is considering the issues associated with the maintenance and upkeep of paths, roads and associated ground held in common with private owners, such as that associated with the Heatheryfold West owners in homes formerly owned by Scottish Homes.

S1W-27421 Elaine Thomson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it is considering introducing legislation to facilitate the maintenance of common paths and ground which local authorities have not adopted.

S1W-27422 Elaine Thomson: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it is planning to initiate any discussions with local authorities about promoting the adoption of grounds and paths which are currently maintained by private owners where there are difficulties in ensuring adequate maintenance.

S1W-27423 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any of its staff are involved in planning for possible future constitutional changes.

S1W-27424 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive how many staff currently work in its Constitutional Policy Unit.

S1W-27425 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it (a) can take and (b) will take in situations where a local authority does not provide appropriate and adequate care and support as recommended in an individual's care plan.

S1W-27426 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action carers can take in situations where councils do not provide the care, treatment and support recommended in care plans.

S1W-27427 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what its position is in regard to self-funding clients in care homes paying higher fees than local authority funded clients for the same level of care.

S1W-27428 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, whether it will publish the response it received from Scottish Airports Ltd.

S1W-27429 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, what the outcome was of the meeting between its officials, National Air Traffic Services, the Civil Aviation Authority and Scottish Airports Ltd.

S1W-27430 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, whether, in light of the concerns expressed, it considers the proposed wind farm at Whitelee Forest to be a potential danger to aviation.

S1W-27431 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, which consultees, other than the National Air Traffic Services, the Civil Aviation Authority and Scottish Airports Ltd, it has met.

S1W-27432 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, whether it intends to meet with consultees other than the National Air Traffic Services, the Civil Aviation Authority and Scottish Airports Ltd.

S1W-27433 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, whether it will publish a full list of consultees to whom the plans to construct a wind farm at Whitelee Forest were issued.

S1W-27434 Linda Fabiani: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26295 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, whether it will publish the responses it received from its consultation process on the proposed wind farm at Whitelee Forest.

S1W-27435 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive why the Health Board for Scotland located the production of its health awareness advertisement "Club Smoking" in Eastern Europe.

S1W-27436 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the decision by the Health Board for Scotland to locate the production of its most recent health awareness advertisement in Eastern Europe was based on consultations with Scottish Screen.

S1W-27437 Michael Russell: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there are any plans to offer production incentives in the form of tax based funding, such as equity investment or production credit grants, to Scottish and international film and TV producers in order to encourage a sustainable production industry in Scotland.

S1W-27438 Fergus Ewing: To ask the Scottish Executive whether hostel accommodation for backpackers in Scotland should meet essential minimum standards and, if so, what standards should be met giving full details, and whether the assessment of hostel accommodation in Scotland should be based on premises meeting such essential standards rather than in accordance with a grading scheme allocating them a number of stars from one to five.

S1W-27439 Mr Duncan McNeil: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-24605 by Mrs Mary Mulligan on 23 April 2002, what progress is being made on the study which is being undertaken to identify the impact and resource implications of the Working Time Regulations as they apply to NHSScotland staff; when it expects the report of the study to be published, and what role NHS boards and staff will play in the study.

S1W-27440 Susan Deacon: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has made to employers such as Argos plc to encourage them to protect the equal opportunities of employees and to ensure that there is no adverse impact on its social justice policies through an employer's requirement that staff work on Sundays.

S1W-27441Δ Sarah Boyack: To ask the Scottish Executive how it intends to distribute the end year flexibility funding allocated to environment and rural development.

S1W-27442 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Presiding Officer what arrangements the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body has made in order to protect members and staff from any potential anthrax or other biological attack.

S1W-27443 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26693 by Lewis Macdonald on 26 June 2002, whether it will give details of the study into the proposed light rail system for west Edinburgh and, in particular, (a) who any consultants to the study are, (b) when the study will be published, (c) what sums have so far been expended on the study, (d) on what basis the allocation of 6 million to the study was made, (e) over what timescale the allocation will be spent and (f) what current information is available on the proposed system.

S1W-27444 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive when the announcement of the outcome of Argyll and Bute Council's application for revenue funding for schools, initially anticipated in April 2002, will be made.

S1W-27445 Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26711 by Lewis Macdonald on 5 July 2002, what the cost of commissioning and obtaining the Direct Air Services Action Plan was; who commissioned the report, and how any routes proposed in the report would be funded.

S1W-27446 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26764 by Cathy Jamieson on 27 June 2002, how many secure accommodation places for (a) boys and (b) girls with (i) a physical disability and (ii) mental health problems there have been in (1) 1997-98, (2) 1998-99, (3) 1999-2000, (4) 2000-01 and (5) 2001-02.

S1W-27447 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive whether there is any policy within the children's hearings system in respect of cases not being brought to a panel hearing because the means of disposal, such as secure accommodation or fostering provision, is not available.

S1W-27448 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what is being done to address the position of suicide as the leading cause of death of young men in Scotland.

S1W-27449 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what is being done to address the suicide rates in the Western Isles and the Highlands given that they are the highest in Scotland.

S1W-27450 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what is being done to support GPs in caring for the over 30% of patient contacts with mental health problems.

S1W-27451 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what is being done to address the doubling of the incidence of testicular cancer in the last 20 years.

S1W-27452 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the Food Standard Agency is doing to ensure that consumers and stakeholders are fully informed on all matters associated with GM crop trials and GM food.

S1W-27453 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive how many summary complaints have been dealt with at Peebles Sheriff Court , whether proceeding to trial or otherwise, in (a) 1999-2000, (b) 2000-01, (c) 2001-02 and (d) 2002-03 to date.

S1W-27454 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive how many summary complaints have been dealt with at (a) Lochmaddy, (b) Tain, (c) Dingwall, and (d) Portree sheriff courts, whether proceeding to trial or otherwise, in (i) 1999-2000, (ii) 2000-01, (iii) 2001-02 and (iv) 2002-03 to date.

S1W-27455 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive how many civil cases have been initiated at (a) Lochmaddy, (b) Tain, (c) Dingwall, (d) Portree and (e) Peebles sheriff courts in (i) 1999-2000, (ii) 2000-01, (iii) 2001-02 and (iv) 2002-03 to date, broken down by type of case.

S1W-27456 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive what the annual running costs have been, excluding capital costs, for (a) Lochmaddy, (b) Tain, (c) Dingwall, (d) Portree and (e) Peebles sheriff courts in (i) 1999-2000, (ii) 2000-01, (iii) 2001-02 and (iv) 2002-03 to date.

S1W-27457 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive how much has been spent on the refurbishment of Jedburgh Sheriff Court in each of the last five years.

S1W-27458 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the council offices at Rosetta Road, Peebles, would provide suitable alternative accommodation for a sheriff courthouse.

S1W-27459 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive what the projected population is of the Peebles area for each of the next 10 years and whether such projections were taken into account when considering renovation or new build of the Peebles courthouse.

S1W-27460 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive what figures it holds on additional costs to the public purse of implementing each of its proposals for court business in Peebles.

S1W-27461 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has identified any issues in respect of there being no practitioner of civil legal aid in Peebles.

S1W-27462 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive which sheriff courthouses have had renovation work carried out on them since May 1999 and what the cost has been of such works.

S1W-27463 Christine Grahame: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any sheriff courthouses have been built since May 1999 and what the cost of any such developments has been.

S1W-27464 John Scott: To ask the Scottish Executive how it intends to address any gap between the funding it provides to local authorities to deal with their new responsibilities for homelessness under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 and the actual funding which local authorities may require in order to implement these new responsibilities.

S1W-27465 John Scott: To ask the Scottish Executive whether a new code of guidance dealing with homelessness will be published in respect of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 and, if so, when any such guidance will be published.

S1W-27466 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25808 by Cathy Jamieson on 28 June 2002, how many Joint Ministerial Meetings on social work and social services there have been and what issues were discussed.

S1W-27467 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25808 by Cathy Jamieson on 28 June 2002, why the membership of the Joint Ministerial Meetings on social work and social services does not include some advisers working in the field.

S1W-27468 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, what progress has been made under each of the 12 identified items.

S1W-27469 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 1 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, what the details are of the initial plans for the awareness and career recruitment campaign, and whether these were approved by a Joint Ministerial Meeting within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27470 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 2 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will outline details of the progress report on the workforce action plan, and whether the next steps were approved by a Joint Ministerial Meeting within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27471 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 3 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will outline details of the membership and workplan on workforce and recruitment, and whether these were agreed by a Joint Ministerial Meeting within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27472 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 3 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will outline details of the membership of the project group on professional and vocational education reforms and the workplan, and whether the workplan was agreed by a Joint Ministerial Meeting within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27473 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 3 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether the Joint Ministerial Meetings are considering a social work qualification without a practice placement as an integral part of the training.

S1W-27474 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 3 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, what the timescale is for agreeing the content and arrangements for the proposed new social work qualifications in order to ensure introduction of the new degree in 2004.

S1W-27475 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 4 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, what the priorities are for attention by the new Director for Co-ordinating Social Services Policy and Performance, and whether these were agreed by a Joint Ministerial Meeting within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27476 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 5 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, how local authorities are utilising the 3.5million additional funding for local authority social services staff training, and whether the decisions on this were made within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons were for the position on this matter.

S1W-27477 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 5 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it is intended that the voluntary sector should benefit from the 3.5million additional funding for social services staff training.

S1W-27478 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 6 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide the Association of Directors of Social Work's action plan for promoting employer investment in better support for front-line staff, and whether this plan was prepared within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position this matter.

S1W-27479 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 7 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, what the membership and remit of the Scottish Leadership Foundation are.

S1W-27480 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 7 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide details of the analysis of future needs for training in leadership and management, and whether the first report will be published in July as specified and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27481 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to item 8 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, who is conducting the economic study of the labour market of children's services in Scotland.

S1W-27482 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 8 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide details of the scoping study of the labour market of children's services in Scotland, and whether the first report will be published in July as specified and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27483 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 9 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide details of the Integrated Human Resources working group report, and whether this was published within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27484 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 10 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether meeting and planning got underway with the WEA programme co-ordinator on Return to Learn courses for social care workers in local authorities and whether this work was undertaken within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27485 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 11 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide details of the survey of improving access arrangements to professional training and whether the survey commenced within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27486 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 12 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether it will provide details of the statements provided by all centres on their best role in 2005 and how they are preparing for that, and whether this work was undertaken within the specified timescale of nine weeks and what the reasons are for the position on this matter.

S1W-27487 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to Item 12 of the Action Plan for Social Services Workforce, whether Joint Ministerial Meetings will recommend a generic or specialist training for social workers.

S1W-27488 Lord James Douglas-Hamilton: To ask the Scottish Executive how many prisoners have suffered (a) fatal and (b) non-fatal overdoses from illegal opiates whilst receiving legal opiates in prison in each year from 1997-98 to the present date, broken down by prison.

S1W-27489 Lord James Douglas-Hamilton: To ask the Scottish Executive how much the Scottish Prison Service spent on (a) heroin substitutes and (b) heroin blockers in (i) 1997-98, (ii) 1998-99, (iii) 1999-2000, (iv) 2000-01 and (v) 2001-02.

S1W-27490 Lord James Douglas-Hamilton: To ask the Scottish Executive what the (a) cost and (b) benefits are, in terms of potential mortality and morbidity, of treating drug-using prisoners in accordance with published European recommendations.

S1W-27491 Ms Sandra White: To ask the Scottish Executive how the children to be used in the pilot scheme to catch shopkeepers who sell cigarettes to under age children are being recruited.

S1W-27492 Mr Keith Harding: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it intends to make the provision of an archaeological sites and monuments record service a statutory requirement for local authorities.

S1W-27493 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome have entered further education since 1999, broken down by (a) local authority area and (b) further education establishment.

S1W-27494 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive how many people diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder have entered further education since 1999, broken down by (a) local authority area and (b) further education establishment.

S1W-27495 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive how many projects specifically designed for those diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome have been set up to ensure a smooth transition from school to further education in light of the Beattie Committee report, Implementing Inclusiveness Realising Potential, broken down by (a) local authority and (b) duration of funding and giving the names of any such projects.

S1W-27496 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive when it intends to publish its proposals following its consultation paper Parents and Children - The Scottish Executive's proposals for improving Scottish Family Law.

S1W-27497 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive what funding is available from (a) its Justice Department and (b) other public funding sources to maintain the work of Family Mediation Grampian in Peterhead, Fraserburgh and Banff and to expand this service elsewhere in the north of Scotland.

S1W-27498 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive what support it is giving to initiatives to reduce drug taking and alcohol abuse in the Forth Valley NHS Board area

S1W-27499 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive whether farms in Clackmannanshire, Fife or Stirling are being considered for GM crop trials.

S1W-27500 Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it offers (a) police forces and (b) local authorities any guidance on the administration and implementation of traffic orders.

S1W-27501 Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive how many police officers Strathclyde police force employs specifically to deal with traffic issues, broken down by division.

S1W-27502 Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has evaluated the effectiveness of traffic orders and whether it has any plans to review the current position.

S1W-27503 Alex Neil: To ask the Scottish Executive how many road accidents have occurred in Hamilton in each of the last five years.

S1W-27504 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive how it will report to (a) the Parliament and (b) the public on the First Minister's visit to the United Nations World Summit on Sustainable Development.

S1W-27505 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive how the First Minister will report on Scotland's progress on sustainable development since the Earth Summit in 1992 to the United Nations World Summit on Sustainable Development.

S1W-27506 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive whether any delegation representing civic society in Scotland will attend the World Summit on Sustainable Development.

S1W-27507 Fiona McLeod: To ask the Scottish Executive what report the First Minister will make to the United Nations World Summit on Sustainable Development on Scotland's progress in respect of (a) the International Climate Change Convention, (b) the Convention on Biological Diversity, (c) the Statement of Forest Principles and (d) Local Agenda 21.

S1W-27508 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action is being taken in order to ensure that Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network guidelines are adhered to in all NHS trusts.

S1W-27509 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what action is being taken to address the lack of plans designed in most trusts to address the full implications of healthcare associated infections (HAI) as referred to in the interim report of the Clinical Standards Board for Scotland on HAI and infection control standards.

S1W-27510 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive what different currencies Historic Scotland's visitor attractions accept from paying customers.

S1W-27511 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to the first supplementary question to S1O-5607 by Lewis Macdonald on 13 June 2002, when the surveys of the condition of non-trunk roads will begin; whether all local authority areas will be covered; which organisations will carry out such surveys; when the results will be published, and what steps it will consider taking following publication of the results.

S1W-27512 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive what powers and obligations local authorities have under the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001 in respect of buses and relations with bus operators.

S1W-27513 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive what progress has been made by local authorities in establishing quality partnership and quality contract schemes with bus operators under the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001.

S1W-27514 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive which local authorities have established quality partnership schemes with bus operators.

S1W-27515 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has any plans to introduce a regime to re-regulate the bus industry.

S1W-27516 Mr Brian Monteith: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has received any representations this year from local authorities regarding the re-regulation of the bus industry and, if so, from which local authorities such representations were received.

S1W-27518 Stewart Stevenson: To ask the Scottish Executive how much has been spent on advertising by each ministerial department in each year since May 1999 and how it measures the effectiveness of such advertising.

S1W-27519 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25632 by Patricia Ferguson on 20 May 2002, whether the legal requirements concerning subscription in connection with a statutory instrument also apply to a statutory statement.

S1W-27520 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25582 by Colin Boyd QC on 16 May 2002, what its position is on the statement made by Lord Sutherland in his opinion of 16 December 1999 in Smith and Others that "if some person using the bridge could establish that he or she was wholly unaware of the existence of such a thing as a Toll Order a defence is provided by section 3(2) of the Statutory Instruments Act".

S1W-27521 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-24579 by Malcolm Chisholm on 22 April 2002, whether myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is included in the psychiatric research studies into "medically unexplained symptoms" and whether it will list all named medical conditions that are included in the research.

S1W-27522 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answers to questions S1W-11358 by Susan Deacon on 11 December 2000 and S1W-24580 by Malcolm Chisholm on 22 April 2002, why 135,000 was allocated to the epidemiological study of unexplained motor symptoms, given the Executive's position on the value of epidemiological studies where there is no independently validated diagnostic test.

S1W-27523 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25608 by Malcolm Chisholm on 17 May 2002, how many children have been diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in hospitals in each of the last five years.

S1W-27524 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive what recent studies it has undertaken in order to estimate recovery rates from myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

S1W-27525 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to ensure that adequate postgraduate education on the diagnosis and treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is available to the medical profession.

S1W-27526 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive what guidance it has issued to local authority education departments relating to school policy for supporting pupils suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

S1W-27527 Alex Fergusson: To ask the Scottish Executive what guidelines have been issued to local authority social work departments regarding provision for (a) housebound and (b) bedbound sufferers of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

S1W-27528 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26323 by Mr Frank McAveety on 7 June 2002, when the report of the review of child and adolescent mental health provision by the Public Health Institute for Scotland will be (a) published and (b) made available to the Parliament.

S1W-27529 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26322 by Iain Gray on 7 June 2002, whether it will give a breakdown of the 22.6 million allocated to implementing the recommendations of the Beattie Committee and whether it has identified any specific projects for people diagnosed with (a) autistic spectrum disorders and (b) Asperger's Syndrome.

S1W-27530 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26322 by Iain Gray on 7 June 2002, how much additional funding per student has been made available to further education colleges for students with special needs in each of the last five years.

S1W-27531 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26276 by Mr Frank McAveety on 10 June 2002, what role the Advocacy Safeguards Agency and the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance will play in advancing the establishment of independent advice and advisory services for parents and carers of those diagnosed with (a) autistic spectrum disorders and (b) Asperger's Syndrome.

S1W-27532 Mr Lloyd Quinan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-26276 by Mr Frank McAveety on 10 June 2002, what the total cost was of setting up (a) the Advocacy Safeguards Agency and (b) the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance.

S1W-27533 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25867 by Lewis Macdonald on 28 May 2002, whether the Invergarry-Kyle of Lochalsh A87 Extension (Skye Bridge Crossing) Toll Order (SI 1992/1501) specifically does not itself contain the power to (a) charge tolls and (b) assign toll-charging powers to a concessionaire on the A87.

S1W-27534 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-25867 by Lewis Macdonald on 28 May 2002, whether the Invergarry-Kyle of Lochalsh A87 Extension (Skye Bridge Crossing) Toll Order (SI 1992/1501) in any legal sense regulates the use of the A87.

S1W-27535 Irene McGugan: To ask the Scottish Executive what powers it has in respect of the Stone of Scone and to whom issues concerning its proprietorship should now be addressed.

S1W-27536 Robert Brown: To ask the Scottish Executive what action it is taking to require local authorities to recycle higher volumes of paper.

S1W-27537 David Mundell: To ask the Scottish Executive what the reasons are for any delay in providing funding to Communities Scotland for the construction of new Women's Aid accommodation for disabled women in Dumfries and when the funding will be made available.

S1W-27538 Fiona Hyslop: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it plans to investigate the circumstances surrounding delay to the installation of the hospital information computer system at the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.

S1W-27539 Fiona Hyslop: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it plans to ensure that McKesson Corporation will be pursued for payment of any fines incurred in respect of work for the NHS.

S1W-27540 Fiona Hyslop: To ask the Scottish Executive when the hospital information computer system at the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children will be operational.

S1W-27541 Fiona Hyslop: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will investigate the awarding of a contract by Lothian University Hospitals NHS Trust to McKesson Corporation after the company had announced that an audit found 27million of sales recorded improperly.

S1W-27542 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive how much money has been given to voluntary and other organisations to support and advise people with drug and alcohol problems in each of the last five years.

S1W-27543 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive how much funding has been given to (a) Alcoholics Anonymous and (b) Narcotics Anonymous in each of the last five years.

S1W-27544 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the current average waiting times are for appointments in respect of (a) drug and (b) alcohol addiction in each NHS trust.

S1W-27545 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive what the current average waiting times are for detox and other rehabilitation services in each NHS board for (a) drugs and (b) alcohol addiction.

S1W-27546 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-18321 by Susan Deacon on 22 November 2001, what proposals there are for the delivery of orthodontics.

S1W-27547 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive how many children aged 6 to 8 years in deprivation categories 5, 6 and 7 are on the enhanced registration scheme for dentistry in each health trust.

S1W-27548 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-18320 by Susan Deacon on 22 November 2001, whether a dental therapist course has now been established and, if so, how many places are available this year.

S1W-27549 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-18323 by Susan Deacon on 22 November 2001, how many dental hygienists and dental therapists are currently undergoing training at each centre.

S1W-27550 Mary Scanlon: To ask the Scottish Executive, further to the answer to question S1W-18321 by Susan Deacon on 22 November 2001, when it will make any recommendations relating to the review of the fee structure for orthodontics and sedation.

 

Top