BUSINESS BULLETIN 171 / 2000
Friday 10 November 2000
Section G - Bills, amendments to Bills and proposals for members Bills
New amendments to Bills lodged on 9 November 2000
Transport (Scotland) Bill - Stage 2
(1) A local authority may designate, within the area for which they are the traffic authority, areas as home zones with a view to exercising, in relation to roads so designated, the power conferred on them by section 84(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c.27) to prohibit the driving of motor vehicles at the speed specified in an order under that section, where that speed is either 20 miles per hour or 10 miles per hour.
(2) A local authority may make a designation if it is satisfied that the designation will, or is likely to-
(a) improve the environment;
(b) improve the safety and security of the community in the area to which the designation relates;
(c) improve the safety of-
(ii) pedal cyclists; or
(iii) children at play;
by reducing the risk of accidents involving motor vehicles;
(d) promote the authority's transport policies; or
(e) improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
(3) Before making a designation under subsection (1) the local authority shall consult-
(a) every community council any part of whose area is within the area to which the proposed designation relates;
(b) such persons or bodies as appear to the local authority to be-
(i) concerned with the protection of the environment;
(ii) representative of relevant road user groups;
(iii) representative of the interests of those who live, work or carry on business in the area to which the proposed designation relates;
and such other persons or bodies as they think fit.
(4) The local authority shall publicise the proposed designation in such a manner as they think fit.
(5) A local authority may modify or revoke a designation under this section but only after consulting those persons or bodies they consulted under subsection (3) above in relation to making the designation.
(6) The local authority shall ensure that, within 6 months of making a designation under subsection (1), there have been put in place such traffic calming and other measures within the designated area as they deem appropriate.
(7) As soon as practicable, and in any event no later than 6 months after the coming into force of this section, the Scottish Ministers shall make provision for the way in which a local authority may seek their approval for a designation under subsection (1).
(8) In this section, "home zone" means a primarily residential area which includes public roads used principally for residential access, designated as such under subsection (1) above, within which pedestrians and pedal cyclists have priority over motor vehicles.>