Contents page

 

BUSINESS BULLETIN 28 / 2000

Wednesday 16 February 2000

Section A – Daily Business List

 

 

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in Committee Chambers, Edinburgh unless otherwise indicated.

 

Education, Culture and Sport Committee

6th Meeting, 2000

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Standards in Scotland's Schools etc. Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Ms Ann Hill (Chief Executive, Scottish School Board Association)

Mrs Judith Gillespie (Development Manager, Scottish Parent Teacher Council)

Ms Jackie Welsh (Policy Manager, Scottish Consumer Council)

 

Transport and the Environment Committee

3rd Meeting, 2000

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in the Hub, Castlehill

1. Draft National Parks (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a briefing from SPICe on the draft National Parks (Scotland) Bill. The Committee will consider possible areas of questioning for the Minister for Transport and the Environment on the draft Bill.

not before 10 am

2. Draft National Parks (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Transport and the Environment on the draft National Parks (Scotland) Bill.

3. Concessionary Travel Inquiry: The Committee will consider terms of reference for, and the approach to, its forthcoming inquiry into concessionary travel.

4. EU 6th Environmental Action Programme: The Committee will consider interaction with the European Committee on the 6th EU Environmental Action Programme.

5. Telecommunications Development Inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report into Telecommunications Developments.

6. Future Work Programme (in private): The Committee will consider its future work programme.

 

Justice and Home Affairs Committee

6th Meeting, 2000

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in the Chamber, Assembly Hall, the Mound, Edinburgh

1. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 2 in private.

2. Abolition of Poindings and Warrant Sales: The Committee will consider the general issues raised in evidence at Stage 1 and options for its report.

3. Carbeth Hutters: The Committee will consider evidence taken in relation to petition PE14 by the Carbeth Hutters’ Association.

4. Freedom of Information: The Committee will take evidence on the Scottish Executive’s proposals from:

Michael Lugton, Head of Constitutional Policy and Parliamentary Liaison Division.

Keith Connal, Head of Freedom of Information Unit.

Stuart Foubister, Office of the Solicitor, Scottish Executive

David Goldberg, Co-convener of the Campaign for Freedom of Information Scotland and Senior Lecturer, School of Law, University of Glasgow.

 

Social Inclusion, Housing and Voluntary Sector Committee

6th Meeting, 2000

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Consideration of questions (in private): The committee will consider its questions for Dumfries and Galloway Council on Housing Stock Transfer.

2. Housing Stock Transfer: The committee will hear evidence from—

Councillor John Forteath, Leader of Dumfries and Galloway Council

Philip Jones, Chief Executive, Dumfries and Galloway Council

Yvonne MacQuarrie, Director for Housing Services, Dumfries and Galloway Council

Andrew Scott, tenant member, Dumfries and Galloway Housing Consultative Group.

3. Petitions: The committee will consider the following public petitions—

PE53 by Frank Harvey calling for the Scottish Parliament to take steps to ensure that young people are not discriminated against by Partick Housing Association and their housing allocations policy

PE74 by Scottish Tenants Organisation calling for the Scottish Paliament to place a moratorium on all housing stock transfers until such time as its concerns in relation to such transfers are addressed.

4. Update on drug inquiry: The committee will hear an update on its inquiry into drug misuse and deprived communities.

5. Correspondence: The committee will consider any outstanding correspondence with regard to invitations and visits.

6. Work programme: The committee will consider its future work programme particularly in relation to Housing Stock Transfer.

 

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection –Judith O’Neill

followed by Motion by Mr Jim Wallace—

S1M-459 Mr Jim Wallace: Draft Census (Scotland) Order 2000—That the Parliament approves the draft Census (Scotland) Order 2000 to the extent that it relates to the following particulars in Schedule 2—

(a) in item 1, the words "indicating whether an individual form is being completed by that member";

in item 2, the words "and relationship to the first person mentioned in the return, and, as the case may be, where there are 5 or less persons in the household, the relationship of each of the previous persons mentioned in the return and where there are 6 or more persons in the household, the relationship of the sixth and subsequent persons to the two previously mentioned persons in the return";

in item 6, the words "and if married whether first or subsequent subsisting marriage";

items 7,11,12,13,14,16,17;

in item 18, the words "or was on a Government sponsored training scheme";

items 19,27, 28, 29, 31, 32;

and items 1, 2 and 3 of Schedule 3 to the draft Order.

Motion by Kate Maclean on behalf of the Equal Opportunities Committee—

S1M-519 Kate Maclean on behalf of the Equal Opportunities Committee: Draft Census (Scotland) Order 2000— That the Parliament (1) agrees that the Draft Census (Scotland) Order 2000, except to the extent that it is subject to approval by resolution of the Parliament, be not submitted to Her Majesty in Council, and (2) calls upon the Scottish Executive to (a) introduce a Bill to amend the Census Act 1920 to enable particulars to be required in respect of religion in the Census in Scotland, and (b) lay a revised draft Order which will include, within particulars to be stated in returns, a question on religion, including a breakdown of Christian denomination, a more detailed breakdown of the question on ethnic groups and a question on language spoken at home with a specific question on Scots language.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendment to motion S1M-459

S1M-459.1 Tommy Sheridan: Draft Census (Scotland) Order 2000—As an amendment to motion (S1M-459) in the name of Mr Jim Wallace, insert at end "but calls upon the Scottish Executive to amend the Order to include an item on income bands".

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members' Business

debate on the subject of –

S1M-529 Dr Winnie Ewing: Sign Language—That the Parliament notes that the British Sign Language is used as an essential communication tool by a substantial number of people in Scotland and has a strong historic tradition; recognises the pressure on interpreters who are in constant demand particularly in rural areas; notes that the British Deaf Association is seeking review of the recognition, rights and support applied to the language; expresses the hope that the Scottish Executive will assist the process by taking actions to implement the European Parliament’s recognition of Sign Language as an official language in each of the member states, and recognises the importance and necessity of British Sign Language by integrating signing into the plenary sessions of the Parliament.

 
Contents page