Contents page

 

BUSINESS BULLETIN 5 / 2000

Thursday 13 January 2000

Section A – Daily Business List

 

 

Meeting of the Parliament

9.30 am Motion by Ms Wendy Alexander—

S1M-408 Ms Wendy Alexander: Housing—That the Parliament acknowledges the need for action to provide good quality and accessible housing and strong and secure communities; welcomes the Executive’s proposals to achieve this through a range of measures including the introduction of a single social tenancy, the development of a single regulatory framework for social housing, the promotion of a stronger strategic role in housing for local authorities, and a new role and status for Scottish Homes, and notes that the Executive will bring forward a Housing Bill to deliver these objectives.

The Presiding Officer has selected the following amendments

S1M-408.2 Fiona Hyslop: HousingAs an amendment to motion (S1M-408) in the name of Ms Wendy Alexander, leave out from "welcomes" to end and insert "notes the Executive’s proposals to achieve this through a range of measures, including the introduction of a single social tenancy, the development of a single regulatory framework for social housing, the promotion of a stronger strategic role in housing for local authorities, and a new role and status for Scottish Homes, but believes that these measures alone will not improve the position of Scotland’s 80000 homeless people and that the Executive must give greater priority to dealing with chronic under investment in Scotland’s public and voluntary housing including the reversal of their policy of wholesale stock transfer."

S1M-408.1 Bill Aitken: Housing—As an amendment to motion (S1M-408) in the name of Ms Wendy Alexander, leave out from "welcomes" to end and insert "notes the Executive’s proposals to achieve this and notes that the Executive will bring forward a Housing Bill; calls upon the Executive to include within this Bill measures to deal with the alarming problem of homelessness which has increased dramatically since May 1997; welcomes the Executive’s commitment to extend the Right to Buy to Housing Association tenants, but emphasises that measures may be necessary to safeguard individual Associations where the take-up of this right could prejudice the operation, viability or success of these Associations."

followed by Business Motion

S1M-410 Mr Tom McCabe on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees

    as an addition to the Business Motion agreed on 16 December 1999-

Thursday 13 January 2000

after Continuation of Executive Debate on Housing insert:

followed by Executive Motion on Representation of the People Bill – UK Legislation

and, b) the following programme of business—

Wednesday 19 January 2000

2.30 pm Time For Reflection

followed by Ministerial Statement on Air Quality Strategy

followed by Executive Debate on Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members' Business – debate on the subject of S1M-371 Mr Duncan McNeil: Flooding in Inverclyde


Thursday 20 January 2000

9.30 am Ministerial Statement

followed by Executive Debate on Tackling Drug Misuse in Scotland

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

2.30 pm Question Time

3.10 pm First Minister's Question Time

3.30 pm Continuation of Executive Debate on Tackling Drug Misuse in Scotland

followed by Motion to amend Standing Orders (definition of Budget Bill)

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members' Business – debate on the subject of S1M-372 Jamie Stone: Dispersal of Civil Service Jobs to Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motion by Mr Tom McCabe—

S1M-409 Mr Tom McCabe on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committees—That the Parliament agrees

the following designation of Lead Committee—

The Health and Community Care Committee to consider The Beef Bones (Scotland) Regulations 1999, SSI 1999/186.

2.30 pm Question Time

 

1. Mr Gil Paterson: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures it is currently taking to promote the vitality and future viability of rural communities. (S1O-896)

 

2. Tommy Sheridan: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures it intends to put in place to ensure that tenants concerned about transfer of council housing stock are made aware of the opportunities to voice their opinions. (S1O-895)

 

3. Brian Adam: To ask the Scottish Executive to provide details of its plans for expenditure, announced in the Minister for Finance’s statement of 6 October 1999, on drug rehabilitation broken down by local authority and health board areas. (S1O-914)

 

4. Mrs Lyndsay McIntosh: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to lodge further motions for debate on drugs, education and housing issues affecting Scotland. (S1O-893)

 

5. Bruce Crawford: To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has made to Her Majesty’s Government to ensure that the compensation due to Scottish miners, their widows and families under the package agreed in June 1999 is paid as a matter of urgency. (S1O-894)

 

6. Mr Andrew Welsh: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures are being taken to ensure that there will be no increase in waiting times for non-emergency surgical procedures within Tayside University Hospitals NHS Trust over the next year. (S1O-909)

 

7. George Lyon: To ask the Scottish Executive what assurances it can give that there will be no cuts in clinical service provision at Oban Hospital. (S1O-905)

 

8. Mr Adam Ingram: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will provide a breakdown of the specific areas into which the 10 million pledged to assist carers will be channelled. (S1O-903)

 

9. Mr Murray Tosh: To ask the Scottish Executive what guidance the Minister for Transport and the Environment gave to the leaders of Glasgow, Renfrewshire and South Lanarkshire Councils at her meeting with them on 21 December 1999 on the extent to which the Scottish Executive does not consider that the M74 Northern Extension satisfies the assessment criteria used in the Strategic Roads Review, and what advice the Minister offered the Council leaders on how the M74 Northern Extension, as defined in existing planning and other statutory consents, should be amended to meet the Scottish Executive’s criteria. (S1O-917)

 

10. Karen Whitefield: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will make a statement on the questions to be included in the 2001 census and in particular whether there will be any questions seeking information about religious denomination. (S1O-907)

 

11. Ms Irene Oldfather: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to promote the teaching of foreign languages in Scotland during 2001, the European Year of Languages. (S1O-910)

 

12. Mr Keith Harding: To ask the Scottish Executive how many jobs, if any, will be lost as a result of the announcement on local government finance on Wednesday 8 December 1999. (S1O-898)

 

13. Mr Kenny MacAskill: To ask the Scottish Executive what measures it has put in place to prevent radioactive pollution escaping into the atmosphere from landfill sites. (S1O-897)

 

14. Alex Johnstone: To ask the Scottish Executive what steps are being taken to ensure that French beef in the Scottish market place conforms to the same standards laid down for home produced beef given the rising incidence of BSE in France. (S1O-916)

 

15. Nora Radcliffe: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it has made any representations to the European Union requesting that the implementation of Council Regulation 820/97, which allows for the introduction of a compulsory beef labelling scheme, not be delayed any further. (S1O-915)

 

16. Mr Mike Rumbles: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to introduce traffic calming measures outside rural schools in areas such as Aberdeenshire. (S1O-900)

 

17. Shona Robison: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will make additional resources available to Tayside University Hospitals NHS Trust in the light of the Trust requiring to relax restrictions on overtime and use agency nurses to cope with the increasing number of flu cases. (S1O-913)

 

18. Dennis Canavan: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will detail what matters were discussed at the last meeting between the First Minister and the Prime Minister. (S1O-899)

 

19. Tavish Scott: To ask the Scottish Executive when it last met Highlands and Islands Enterprise and whether the Crofting Counties Agricultural Grants Scheme was discussed. (S1O-908)

 

20. Phil Gallie: To ask the Scottish Executive why 53 % of charges laid by the police under Section 1 of the Road Traffic Act 1991, death by dangerous driving, have been downgraded to Section 3, careless driving, by the Crown Office since 1991. (S1O-906)

 

21. Ms Sandra White: To ask the Scottish Executive what plans it has to reduce the drop out rate in higher education institutions from the current 20% and what assessment it has made of the return of full maintenance grant as a way of reducing this figure. (S1O-904)

 

22. David Mundell: To ask the Scottish Executive what its reasons are for deleting a strategic road link between Dumfries and the M74 from the Dumfries and Galloway Structure Plan. (S1O-901)

 

23. Richard Lochhead: To ask the Scottish Executive when the First Minister next intends to visit the City of Aberdeen and with whom he intends to meet. (S1O-911)

 

24. Ms Margo MacDonald: To ask the Scottish Executive, given the almost 50% increase in bed usage in the Lothian Universities Hospital Trust for the first week of January, whether it will confirm that all hospital trusts in Scotland will be able to engage extra staff and to utilise whatever facilities are required to cope with the possible influenza epidemic. (S1O-912)

 

25. Lewis Macdonald: To ask the Scottish Executive whether the current methodology for allocating financial resources to tackle deprivation is effective in identifying all areas of relative poverty and social and economic disadvantage. (S1O-902)3.10 pm First Minister's Question Time

 

3.10 pm First Ministers Question Time

 

1. Mr Alex Salmond: To ask the First Minister when he last met the Secretary of State for Scotland and what issues they discussed. (S1F-1)

 

2. David McLetchie: To ask the First Minister when he last met the Secretary of State for Scotland and what issues they discussed. (S1F-5)

 

3. Kay Ullrich: To ask the First Minister whether he will outline his plans to alleviate the current pressures experienced by the NHS. (S1F-15)

 

4. Mr Duncan McNeil: To ask the First Minister what steps have been taken by Scottish Ministers to support the bid to build up to six roll-on-roll-off ferries for the Ministry of Defence at BAE Systems’ Govan shipyard. (S1F-17)

 

5. Mr Jamie Stone: To ask the First Minister how much extra funding Scottish police authorities used in policing the millennium compared with the amount forecast. (S1F-13)

 

6. Phil Gallie: To ask the First Minister what specific discussions he has had with the Home Office and the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities on the issue of asylum seekers. (S1F-10)

3.30 pm Continuation of Executive Debate on Housing

5.00 pm Decision Time

 

followed by Members' Business

debate on the subject of –

S1M-283 Mrs Margaret Smith: Social Workers and Violence—That the Parliament deplores the escalating levels of violence visited upon social workers in Edinburgh in the course of their duties; recognises that this is a national problem, and calls upon the Scottish Executive to promote the view that having to face the threat of violence is not an acceptable feature of any profession.

 
Contents page