MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Vol. 1, No. 70 Session 1
Meeting of the Parliament
Wednesday 3rd May 2000
Note: (DT) signifies a decision taken at Decision Time.
The meeting opened at 2.30 pm.
1. Time for Reflection: The Reverend Rachel J W Dobie, Minister of the Parishes of Upper Tweeddale, led Time for Reflection.
2. Business Motion: Mr Tom McCabe, on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau, moved S1M-798-That the Parliament agrees that the time for consideration of Stage 3 of the Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Bill be allotted as follows, so that debate on each part of the proceedings, if not previously brought to a conclusion, shall be brought to a conclusion on the expiry of the specified period (calculated from the time when Stage 3 begins)-
The motion was agreed to.
3. Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Bill was considered at Stage 3.
The following amendments were agreed to (without division): 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 5, 33, 34, 35, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 15, 16, 17, 18.
The following amendments were disagreed to (by division)-
Amendments 25 and 39 were, with the agreement of the Parliament, withdrawn.
Other amendments were not moved.
4. Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Deputy First Minister and Minister for Justice moved S1M-771-That the Parliament agrees that the Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Bill be passed.
After debate, the motion was agreed to (DT).
5. Decision Time: The Parliament took a decision on item 3 as noted above.
6. Govan Shipyard: The Parliament debated S1M-750 in the name of Gordon Jackson-That the Parliament notes that the BAE Systems Govan shipyard is in the running for a major order to build roll-on roll-off ferries for the Ministry of Defence; recognises that this order will guarantee work for up to five years and allow the yard to take on apprentices for the first time in three years; praises the yard's strong reputation for Clyde built quality as the major employer at the heart of Govan; acknowledges that this order is vital to secure the yard's future for its skilled and dedicated workforce; understands the equal importance of the order for the sister yard at Scotstoun as outfitter, and expresses total support for the Govan shipyard in bidding for this order and future work.
The meeting closed at 5.46 pm.
P E Grice
Clerk of the Parliament
3 May 2000
(Note: this Appendix does not form part of the Minutes)
The following instrument was laid in draft before the Parliament on 28 April 2000 for approval by resolution
The draft Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation) Order 2000
laid under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982
The following instrument was laid before the Parliament on 28 April 2000 and is subject to annulment
The European Communities (Lawyer's Practice) (Scotland) Regulations 2000 (SSI 2000/121)
laid under the European Communities Act 1992
The following instrument was laid before the Parliament on 3 May 2000 and is subject to annulment
The Scotland Act 1998 (Cross-Border Public Authorities) (British Wool Marketing Board) Order 2000 (SI 2000/1113)
laid under the Scotland Act 1998
Not Subject to any Parliamentary Procedure
The following instrument was laid before the Parliament on 3 May 2000 and is not subject to any Parliamentary procedure
The Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (Scotland) Partial Revocation (No.7) Order 2000 (SSI 2000/125)
laid under the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985
The following document was laid before the Parliament on 2 May 2000 and is not subject to any Parliamentary procedure
Ancient Monuments Board for Scotland, Forty-sixth Annual Report 1999 (SE/200049)
laid under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979
The following document was laid before the Parliament on 22 March 2000 and is not subject to any Parliamentary procedure
Statement of Guarantee: Highland Acute Hospitals National Health Service Trust (SE/2000/56)
laid under the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978
The following Report was published on 3 May 2000
Scottish Commission for Public Audit, 1st Report 2000: Audit Scotland Budget 2000-2001 (SP Paper 115)
The following Report was published on 2 May 2000
Subordinate Legislation Committee, 15th Report 2000: Report on Subordinate Legislation (SP Paper 116)
The following Reports were published on 3 May 2000-
Subordinate Legislation Committee, 16th Report, 2000: Delegated Powers Scrutiny, The Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2 (SP Paper 117)
Education Culture and Sport Committee, 4th Report 2000: Report on Subordinate Legislation (SP Paper 118)